Author Topic: HOUSE REPUBLICANS PUT UP HISTORIC FIGHT!  (Read 2416 times)

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
Re: HOUSE REPUBLICANS PUT UP HISTORIC FIGHT!
« Reply #60 on: September 29, 2008, 03:05:46 PM »
If the banks fail won't the govt (and by extension YOU guys) be forced to pink up for the $100,000 insurance provided by the federal govt on deposits? 

That is not as simple or as common as you might think. The FDIC only insures individual deposits of up to $100K.

There's not as much to be lost in individual deposits that actually are insured by the FDIC as you might think.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
« Reply #61 on: September 29, 2008, 03:10:06 PM »
When I bought my house I was pre approved for up to $270,000 with no monny down. I bought a house for $98,000 because that's what I KNEW I could afford in the long run.

I don't know where you live, but I paid 280k for mine because it's the lowest price I could find(lol, and I had to fix it up!!)

Houses in that range are still selling, though not as much(they are considered starter homes), it's the 600k-1m mcmansions that are sitting
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
« Reply #62 on: September 29, 2008, 03:12:07 PM »

What's wrong with loaning these guys the money, or can't they qualify for a loan!

yeah, let's give them an interest only loan, w00t!!
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #63 on: September 29, 2008, 03:12:53 PM »
The FIRST thing to do about the economy and the possibility of government action to do something about it is to calm down and quit panicking like a bunch of freaked out fools. Just like the fuel shortages we had here after the hurricanes, the panic only serves to make the situation worse.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline Mr No Name

• Silver Member
« Reply #64 on: September 29, 2008, 03:13:48 PM »
I don't know where you live, but I paid 280k for mine because it's the lowest price I could find(lol, and I had to fix it up!!)

Houses in that range are still selling, though not as much(they are considered starter homes), it's the 600k-1m mcmansions that are sitting

See, that is the problem, home prices were also artificially inflated and when you double the price (opposed to value) of something, then loan 125% of that inflated price.... you are gonna have a problem down the road junior!  
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 03:15:59 PM by Mr No Name »
Vote R.E. Lee '24

Offline Gaidin

• Silver Member
« Reply #65 on: September 29, 2008, 03:14:43 PM »

Man where do you live!  I don't think there is a house anywhere near me that values even close to 600k.  I know of 1 that they want about 300k for, but its like 5bedroom 3 full bath, and has an inground pool with a 2 acre lot.
Death is but a doorway to life, only those who fear life fear its opening.

Ingame: 68Gaidin

Proud Member of the CM Team
FSO - Admin

Offline Mr No Name

• Silver Member
« Reply #66 on: September 29, 2008, 03:15:23 PM »
The FIRST thing to do about the economy and the possibility of government action to do something about it is to calm down and quit panicking like a bunch of freaked out fools. Just like the fuel shortages we had here after the hurricanes, the panic only serves to make the situation worse.

AMEN!  we still have gas outages/rationing/price gouging here in many parts of SC since the last hurricane that hit galveston.
Vote R.E. Lee '24

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #67 on: September 29, 2008, 03:16:10 PM »

:aok

Yup. If there's a bailout, lets do it right. The world will wait.
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
« Reply #68 on: September 29, 2008, 03:16:45 PM »
That is not as simple or as common as you might think. The FDIC only insures individual deposits of up to $100K.

There's not as much to be lost in individual deposits that actually are insured by the FDIC as you might think.

Something else to think about and it's already happened. People that spread their money across several accounts to get the 100k protection on each account were out of luck with indymac. The FDIC only covered the first 100k, reguardless if they had seprate accounts or not.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 03:18:53 PM by crockett »
"strafing"

Offline Mr No Name

• Silver Member
« Reply #69 on: September 29, 2008, 03:18:16 PM »
If you have 100K, you aren't worried about groceries anytime soon lol.
Vote R.E. Lee '24

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #70 on: September 29, 2008, 03:20:25 PM »
Something else to think about and it's already happened. People that spread their money across several accounts to get the 100k protection on each account were out of luck with indymac. The FDIC only covered the first 100k, reguardless if they had seprate accounts or not.

proper prior planning prevents piss poor performance.

Accounts in different banks would be covered.

The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
« Reply #71 on: September 29, 2008, 03:20:41 PM »
See, that is the problem, home prices were also artificially inflated and when you double the price (opposed to value) of something, then loan 25% of that inflated price.... you are gonna have a problem down the road junior!  

Not a problem where I am at, time is on my side and I do ok. Now if I bought a 500k house, well, that would have really stretched me.

But yes, it was simple supply and demand. Everyone was getting a loan, so demand skyrocketed. And, of course, prices did too.

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
« Reply #72 on: September 29, 2008, 03:25:18 PM »
Man where do you live!  I don't think there is a house anywhere near me that values even close to 600k.  I know of 1 that they want about 300k for, but its like 5bedroom 3 full bath, and has an inground pool with a 2 acre lot.

Saugus, ma, but if you really want to see expensive, search in Newton or Brookline. I got some mcmansions going up behind me in a new subdivision(like 200 yards away), i'll post a few pics. And they are selling too. They help the value of my house, but I am sure the assessor will notice

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
« Reply #73 on: September 29, 2008, 03:25:57 PM »
Try to do the same today..

I don't discuss my particular moves, but it's much easier than you think. Low risk, good return, huge demand. It's almost as good as religion.

Offline Mr No Name

• Silver Member
« Reply #74 on: September 29, 2008, 03:28:43 PM »
you made the wise choice and bought what you could best afford. i understand supply and demand... but by the government tinkering and opening up loans to people who should not have gotten them, they raised the price on your home significantly... or kept you from affording a better home that you could have had for the same price.  government interference with the free market nearly always ends in disaster
Vote R.E. Lee '24