Author Topic: What does this do to me?  (Read 369 times)

Offline Gaidin

• Silver Member
What does this do to me?
« on: September 29, 2008, 03:06:13 PM »
I possess no great knowledge of this whole bailout issue, but I know giving them a blank check with no stipulations/oversight on what happens to the money is a bad Idea.  That would be like giving my wife a credit card with no limit and sending her to JCPenny or Sears and saying buy whatever you want!.

Anyways, there are alot of people here who know more than I do about economics and things.  I want to hear from both sides, please don't start a flame war.

ME:

30years old, Wife, 2 kids, single income family.

We Own:

1 car 14 years old, paid for
1 car 10 years old, baught used, few payments left.

Household Income:

Roughly 30k per year. 
Some side work might get me another 1000 if Im lucky.

Rent a craphole, never could get 5% of what any idiots want in this area for a home.

Assets:

about 200 dollars in bank, couple of CDs, very small around 500 per.

Employer matched retirement.  Been here about 3 years now, last statment there was roughly 5k in there.

What does this bailout do to me??
Death is but a doorway to life, only those who fear life fear its opening.

Ingame: 68Gaidin

Proud Member of the CM Team
FSO - Admin

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
Re: What does this do to me?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 03:09:15 PM »
How much do you owe on your CC's?
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Gaidin

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 03:17:49 PM »
Total between the 2, roughly 2k, both have been cut up and are being paid down as I can.

FSO - Admin

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 03:32:33 PM »
What bailout? :)
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 03:34:37 PM »
At your age, I would not worry.  The only people that should be really worried are those close to retirement in the next 24 months.

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 03:34:52 PM »
What bailout? :)

The one that's going to be rammed through immediately after the elections.

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 03:44:04 PM »
Douglas GA:

Bad place to be a 20 year old male:

http://www.city-data.com/housing/houses-Douglas-Georgia.html

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 03:52:13 PM »
For the most part, the bailout will be a tax on the poor and lower middle class since they lose the most in a higher interest environment.

Offline Nwbie

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2008, 03:53:41 PM »
rent may go up- may not.

retirement fund will be upside down right now, don't worry, long term is what it is for, you should see returns increase again eventually

Employer - stable? A lot of small companies are hurting right now due to the cash flow crisis, if your employer runs the business relying on short term loans to run the business, there will be an adjustment period.
Other than that - not much, keep chopping at those cc's - those rates are going to skyrocket.

I bought a house in 1985 with a loan rate of 14% - and that was a low rate at the time, -- no one in here can give you a definite answer.
The economy will rebound, some form "bailout- insurance- backing" is and will be required. Whether the ranchers keep an eye on the cattle from now on is the main need that must be adressed and adhered to.

Skuzzy-- "Facts are slowly becoming irrelevant in favor of the nutjob."

Offline Gaidin

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2008, 04:01:33 PM »
Well I work for a small Two-Year college in the IIT Department (Information and Instructional Technology-FYI)

I am a Salaried State Employee.  So, I think for now my job is safe.  That could change, and if it does I am up toejam creek.

I build custom machines for people on the side, but not much demand for massive expensive gaming rigs in this area.  So, not alot of business here.

Quess I will see what happens, as long as I can feed my family, and keep the bills paid I will be ok.

FSO - Admin

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2008, 04:11:20 PM »

What does this bailout do to me??

I'd say you have 4 major risks, but they have little to do with the bailout.  Here they are, in rough order of severity.

1. Your employer goes under because the company depended on poorly managed investments, and you can't find another job before the rent is due.
2.  You get injured, medical insurance runs out or you are fired, and you run out of money and now are both injured and unemployed.
3.  Your landlord runs into financial problems because of the economy, and either grossly increases your rent or has to sell the property, and the new owner kicks everyone out so he can demolish the place and build something else.
4.  Your car dies because it's old.

As far as reducing the risks, I'd only suggest trying to save money (use it up, repair it, wear it out, or go without) and keep an eye out for foreclosure sales on houses.  You might get lucky and find the smallest house in a decent neighborhood is up for sale and owned by the bank, and maybe they'll help out with financing in order to sell the place.

When I grew up, my Mom made our shirts from cheap patterns and fabric from closeout sales.  We ate meals based on ground beef for half the month and chicken the other half, because ground beef went on sale every other week and chicken was on sale during the alternate weeks.  We had a second freezer so when food was on sale, we could buy enough to last until the next big sale.  Spaghetti can be stretched by adding cheap tomato sauce or other condensed soups to one smallish jar of spaghetti sauce (we used a can of cheap spag sauce plus 2 cans of tomato sauce and 1 can cream of mushroom soup), and there are plenty of other recipes that give you plenty of food for a family of 4 at half the cost of doing things the convenient way.  As a result of all these cost-saving things (we also had 2 old cars), we were able to buy that smallest house in a nice neighborhood and slowly improve our situation over time.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2008, 04:11:36 PM »
What will serve you best in this or any circumstance is to stand out at work.  When the axe comes it tends to fall on the weakest points first.

Offline Nwbie

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2008, 04:17:16 PM »
Well I work for a small Two-Year college in the IIT Department (Information and Instructional Technology-FYI)

I am a Salaried State Employee.  So, I think for now my job is safe.  That could change, and if it does I am up poop creek.

I build custom machines for people on the side, but not much demand for massive expensive gaming rigs in this area.  So, not alot of business here.

Quess I will see what happens, as long as I can feed my family, and keep the bills paid I will be ok.

Gaidin

go to a chamber of commerce meeting in your area, there are a lot of small companies that look for someone to help with setting up small networks, looking at their computers and seeing what maintenance needs to be done. I have a friend that does that - he makes on the side a few grand a month. Also, another person i know- does in home teaching for moms that need help on how to run word, internet, email and such. He gets all of his business by referral, works cash only, few days a week. He started by going to a local Catholic school and offered to look at their computers to help clean them up and make them useful for education. And that was where he got started -teachers talked him up to parents and it snowballed from there.

Offline Wayout

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2008, 07:51:21 PM »
At your age, I would not worry.  The only people that should be really worried are those close to retirement in the next 24 months.

Thanks, you made  my day.  I retire next March.   :frown:
  For most people the sky is the limit.  For a pilot the sky is home.

Offline Nwbie

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2008, 10:41:17 PM »
Thanks, you made  my day.  I retire next March.   :frown:
Do you have a 401k or retirment account?
My mutual funds account was upside down on friday, is that the case for most in here?