Author Topic: DishNetwork receivers  (Read 319 times)

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
DishNetwork receivers
« on: September 30, 2008, 05:10:57 PM »
Was looking at getting a new receiver today, since mine is several years old, has very few features, and the remote is shot. It's not likely I'll upgrade to an HD television before Christmas or New Years. When I priced a nice receiver (ViP 722) I just about keeled over. They want $200 for the receiver with installation  :O, and tell me I cannot install it myself  :furious. It's an extra $6 a month for the TVR feature, and about $20 for HD programming as well, and we already pay $64 for what we have now. Anyone seen better deals? I have no desire at all to return to DirecTV, I was NEVER happy with their service, I only had it because we could not get cable, and when we could get DishNetwork, I switched immediately.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 05:22:06 PM by Captain Virgil Hilts »
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: DishNetwork receivers
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 05:15:49 PM »
I got my DiSH HD PVR on a lease deal they had a while back.  No upfront installation charges at all.  Not sure if they are still running that deal or not.  The HD PVR works fine with a non HD television, if the television, at minium, has the component inputs.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 05:16:33 PM »
I don't see why you couldn't install it yourself.   Are they charging you for installation?  

On a side note, I'm sorry about your exp. with DirecTV, we've had em since 99 and love em.   I had a repair guy come out on a 10 degree day with 10 inches of snow, on a Saturday.   He was going to charge me $75 (which I intended to pay) and he said "Screw it, it was just a shorted connector".   He didn't charge me but I flipped him a $20 anyways.  

That unit is a good unit though (the 722).   I've gone through 3 receivers with DTV and installed the last two myself and just called to activate.   I don't understand why Dish would be any different.   Only thing I can think of is they'll try and get you for some "install fees".  
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 05:26:02 PM »
Yeah, they show it for as little as $100 shipping on the website, unless I'm looking at it wrong, but they tell me I have to buy it with installation for $200.

If I don't have an HD television right now, is there any reason to pay for HD programming?

I guess the $6 for DVR capability is not horrible. It is something I'd like to have, since I travel AND I need to work some evenings now. What little I do care about seeing is all usually on in the same time slot on the same night, and what isn't conflicts with something someone else wants to watch.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 05:36:04 PM »
Yeah, they show it for as little as $100 shipping on the website, unless I'm looking at it wrong, but they tell me I have to buy it with installation for $200.

If I don't have an HD television right now, is there any reason to pay for HD programming?

I guess the $6 for DVR capability is not horrible. It is something I'd like to have, since I travel AND I need to work some evenings now. What little I do care about seeing is all usually on in the same time slot on the same night, and what isn't conflicts with something someone else wants to watch.

Absolutely not on the HD.   If they're trying to "force the issue on it", let them know "it won't work on you."   I'm getting the sneaky suspicion they're trying pull a fast one over you bro. 
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Airscrew

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 05:38:45 PM »
I got my DiSH HD PVR on a lease deal they had a while back.  No upfront installation charges at all.  Not sure if they are still running that deal or not.  The HD PVR works fine with a non HD television, if the television, at minium, has the component inputs.
same for us.   3 DVRs, 1 HD DVR, about January 2008

Offline Gaidin

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 05:44:59 PM »
I have never had any good exp. with DiSHNetwork.  I have had DirectTV for over 2 years and have never had an issue.  All of there recievers are leased.  I think I pay like 4-5 a month for the reciever.  I have the midrange channel package without HD, don't watch enough TV to pay for it, and its runs me around 70 a month. 

DTV has some good new customer deals going on right now, give them a call.

Just FYI if you call DTV, Tell them you are a current Dish customer and you have heard some good things about DTV.  Tell them to make you want to go through changing over.  Friend of mine did that and he got some sweet discounts, not saying you will, but its possible.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 05:47:27 PM by Gaidin »
Death is but a doorway to life, only those who fear life fear its opening.

Ingame: 68Gaidin

Proud Member of the CM Team
FSO - Admin

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 05:48:06 PM »
I told them to drop the installation fee or I'd go with DirectTV (I asked for the manager first, which was probably a 21 year old knowing customer service...). They did.

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 06:24:13 PM »
Thanks guys. I went to the website and ran through their "dishbuilder" deal. They'll sell a NEW customer a package better than what they offer me for less money. They asked me for about $80 or so, maybe a couple bucks more. For a "new" customer, they offer a little better package for $69, which is a little more than I pay now for the America's Top 250, plus local channels. The "chat guy" would offer me ANY break. After dinner, I'm going to call again. I'll see if they'd prefer I go elsewhere after 6-8 years, or they'll make me a REASONABLE offer. I'd pay $100 for the new receiver and $69 for the new package. I'll be damned if I'll pay $200 for a new receiver and $80+ for the new package. I'll speak to a manager. I had reached that decision about 1/2 hour ago after seeing what they offer their new customers, and talking to the "chat guy", who, when I said I'd have to call DirecTV, said "I'm glad we could reach an acceptable conclusion" and ended the session. I'll be glad to use that against them. :devil

SaVaGe

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 11:05:52 PM »
The HD DVR requires 2 coaxial leads (the receiver has 2 tuners)and a new switch on the dish. A regular single digital lead for your old receiver will not work. Probably the reason they require installation is the new hardware.

I went thru the same BS with Dish when I tried to upgrade to HD and wound up going with DirecTv and got it all for free. Here's the kicker, after you cancel service they will throw you deals better than the new signup to get you back. Makes no sense whatsoever.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2008, 05:25:59 AM »
Wheeeew..........proud I got my Dish receiver and HD setup when I did. It cost me nada.
I am not too pleased with the program lineup and options at the moment.
I am, however, hoping that the Dish on demand features progress to the point to where you can actually pick your programming without all the crap.
I really don`t need 25 channels in the middle of the night pushing the "that certain part of the male body' products and another ten or so teaching me how to make millions on the internet, along with another 5 or so showing me how to become a real estate giant in a week.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 05:29:21 AM by Jackal1 »
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------