Author Topic: why do people want to be liberals?  (Read 2093 times)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Re: why do people want to be liberals?
« Reply #75 on: October 01, 2008, 04:24:29 PM »
It's only because the Bush admin caved on the issue and essentially went back to the way it was legal to do. Bush and Co agreed to use the so called secret court to get approval for wire taps deemed to be important for national security for limited amounts of time with out a standard court ordered warrant. In short Bush and Co agreed to follow the law other wise there likely would have been charges filed. 
Dude, you know and I know they had they broke the law, the Demoncrats would have had an impeachment order drafted so fast (for paybacks to Clinton if nothing else.)  They didn't. No law was broken. End of story.

Offline RedTop

• Platinum Member
« Reply #76 on: October 01, 2008, 04:26:48 PM »
(off topic)

Also keep in mind that Americans today are more (politically and socially) conservative than people back in the 60s-70s.
They are?  Wow..I didn't know that. (not being a smartazz either)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 04:46:04 PM by RedTop »
Original Member and Former C.O. 71 sqd. RAF Eagles

Offline mg1942

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #77 on: October 01, 2008, 04:34:21 PM »
Yes, Americans who grew up in the 60s and 70s aspired for change.  They rejected 50s-60s lifestyle.

This goes for the rest of the (free) world at that time.

Offline RedTop

• Platinum Member
« Reply #78 on: October 01, 2008, 04:49:33 PM »
Yes, Americans who grew up in the 60s and 70s aspired for change.  They rejected 50s-60s lifestyle.

I guess I see the world as liberal....and this country more liberal and less conservative. I've alsways thought the world was much less conservative that the U.S.. As I've grown older , and changes in life , I've gotten more conservative. The U.S. in general seems to be going the other way. <shrug>
Original Member and Former C.O. 71 sqd. RAF Eagles

Offline FrodeMk3

• Gold Member
« Reply #79 on: October 01, 2008, 05:03:04 PM »
I guess I see the world as liberal....and this country more liberal and less conservative. I've alsways thought the world was much less conservative that the U.S.. As I've grown older , and changes in life , I've gotten more conservative. The U.S. in general seems to be going the other way. <shrug>

You know, what you just said reminded me of something that I heard talking to a guy at work. He made the point that what we had for Liberals and Conservatives 50 years' ago are completely different than what we have today. For an example, look at how both parties' have changed; They used to not be so completely different on all issues, but Today, they are almost polar opposites.

Offline mg1942

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #80 on: October 01, 2008, 05:04:48 PM »
Hell, my parents were far more liberal than me.
They smoke, drink, gamble, did coke (expensive hobby), went to political protest while in college, and went to disco to get wasted.

I didn't do any of that.  I'm a good kid.  I study and I go to the internet (AH, /b/, read manga) to kill time.
Maybe health care and health insurance was cheap back then? :D
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 05:10:44 PM by mg1942 »

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #81 on: October 01, 2008, 05:08:38 PM »
lol

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
« Reply #82 on: October 01, 2008, 05:10:24 PM »

And by the 80s & 90s we had figured out the 60s & 70s actually sucked pretty bad. :)

edit: to be fair, we did give the world the 80s hair bands. Everybody has my generations sincerest apology for that.

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #83 on: October 01, 2008, 05:20:44 PM »
See Hang, I told you it was a 6.5, and you wanted to give it a two

Yup. I screwed the pooch on this one, too. Wanna see my picks for the stock market?
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #84 on: October 01, 2008, 07:41:07 PM »
No, but I'm also not a fool whom believes the Republican will give me a smaller govt like many here claim they will. I've already posted a few times why I vote for Democrats. It's because I value my personal rights that the current Religious Conservatives would love to take away from me.

The basic idea of Liberalism is protecting personal freedoms and to pushing for equal opportunity, which is the exact opposite of Religious Conservatives & the Neocons. While the far left libs can get a bit extreme with the equal opportunity stuff I'd much rather deal with that, than having the extreme Right forcing their religious beliefs on me, or getting us in another war that has nothing to do with protecting this country.

The simple fact is Liberals tend to be more for the individual while Conservatives are more for their specific group and screw anyone else.

Uhh are you serious?
You would rather have a communist "every one is equal" country, then basing a country off religious beliefs?
What I don't understand is that you say liberals are more individual? But a individualist doesn't really care about what other people think. That's why they are individual. So looking at democrats in the past, I really don't think they want to help anyone but themselves.

Do you think raising gas taxes is a good idea?
Do you think buying our oil from other countries is still working great for our country?
Tell me whats wrong with building oil reserves in our own country?
Do you think people like Barnie Frank really have a clue as to what our economy is going through?
McCain KNEW that we would be in a chrises but no one listented to him.
Do you like Nancy Pelocie?
Not look at us!
You want to blame bush for everything?? How bout our BULLSH^% democratic congress that veto's every bill trying to help our country.

Democrats won't do anything but help themselves, if we fail they blame everything on Bush. EVERYTHING! And try to make BULLSH^& excuses why our country is failing.

If Obama becomes president, we wont hear nearly as much from him as we will the DEM congress, they are going to USE Obama to pass all their bills and their will be nothing we can do about it.

McCain wants to work with the democrats and try to make us unify as one. The DEM congress though I bet you anything they will veto and vote against anything McCain trys to pass. Why? because DEMs only care about themselves and not about a country as one! Its there way or the highway, nothing a republican can say in the world that would change there mind for good or bad.

That's why I hate DEM beliefs: they don't listen to the other side.

Ohh and no one has told me any change that Obama has in store for our economy as far as getting us out of this hole? WHAT IS IT?

« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 07:44:44 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Enker

• Silver Member
« Reply #85 on: October 01, 2008, 07:52:03 PM »
Partially because I cannot stand to have a Tina Fey knock off with an I.Q. of a rich-as-a-queen middle school girl in the most expensive private school in Kansas City MO as vice president, but more so, I find the liberals to be slightly more accepting of new ideas, doing things because they needed to be done, reaching over party lines to get important bills to be passed. Also, because of my demeanor at school, summer camps, or just places with middle schoolers and up that can think (as hard as that is to believe) , Conservatives shun me because I seem to be a homosexual (I am not) without getting to know me as a person, whereas Liberals are a wee bit...nicer. Just barely.
InGame ID: Cairn
Quote from: BillyD topic=283300.msg3581799#msg3581799
... FOR TEH MUPPET$ TO PAD OUR SCO?E N to WIN TEH EPIC WAR OF TEH UNIVERSE We MUST VULTCHE DA RUNWAYZ N DROP UR GUYZ FIGHTERZ Bunkarz Then OUR SKWAD will Finarry Get TACTICAL NOOK for 25 KILL SCORE  STREAK>X

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #86 on: October 01, 2008, 08:00:37 PM »

Jesus is probably very sad right now.

We should be sad as well for letting this country go down the tubes. It's not just the politicians fault it's ours. They gave this country an opportunity to  become even more greedy than than we were. Since when do you refy your house to buy toys and all the other crap that this nation bought to make their lives better and rub it into their neighbor's face.
I live in an above average neighborhood in Southern California. My wife is a mortgage broker and I'm a building contractor. I 've lived in the same home for 16 years. At one point I had close to 2 million in equity which now has been cut in 1/2. Did I go out and buy that Ferrari I always had my eye on? Did I buy that platinum Rolex ?did I buy that 300ft long motorhome with 14 plasma TVs in it? Hell no...... why? because I knew I would have to pay for it . I  seen this happening in my neighborhood when money was cheap and now the sad reality is now some are walking away from their homes . They still have their toys. That's why I never took a drop of equity out of my house and the government should have regulated that industry and protected this nations people against what happened by not tempting the tempted sheep we are. IT"S ALL OF THEIR FAULT AS WELL AS OUR"S !

If there's really one thing I wish I could accomplish on these boards, its this:

I'd like to convince people that America didn't BECOME what it is now.  That it always was this way.  That America wasn't formed for OUR freedom, but for the Founding Father's Power.

That this country will always try to be led by people trying to convince you that poop is only now the worst smelling thing in the world.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline KgB

• Silver Member
« Reply #87 on: October 01, 2008, 08:08:16 PM »
basically just tell me why you are voting for obama?
Anyone but another village idiot and religious imbecile.
"It is the greatest inequality to try to make unequal things equal."-Aristotle

Offline ian5440

• Nickel Member
      • http://rollingthunder.spruz.com/main.asp
« Reply #88 on: October 01, 2008, 08:09:18 PM »
Conservatives shun me because I seem to be a homosexual (I am not)
oh i cant tell you hhow much i have gotten that  :mad:

maybe its my icon  :D

~~~~~~Hellkitty Dweeb~~~~~~
~~~~~~Wildcat Dweeb~~~~~~~

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #89 on: October 01, 2008, 08:09:54 PM »
Anyone but another village idiot and religious imbecile.

You probably want to vote for McCain then. I think he is less religious than Obama.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.