Author Topic: Truck Advice  (Read 572 times)

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
Truck Advice
« on: October 02, 2008, 04:19:09 PM »
Never owned a truck, thinking of getting me one.

What I need it for is to carry the family and the 2 dogs around (big mastiffs). Its not for hauling heavy shtuff or to 'work' with it.. but there is from time to time the need to load boxes and large items so the flatbed on the back is great.

I'm looking for:

-ABS breaks & airbags (the more the merrier)
-Rear seat space comfort. Aka, not looking for the little door on the back. I need a BIG space on the back where the seats can fold flat and the dogs be there (or the groceries)

Price wise..of course the lower the better. My trade-in is worth $17k.

So far i've test drived and really liked the Dodge Ram 1500 mega-cab version (2008). Very roomy in the back and excellent stuff on it.

I'm not purchasing it yet because the price tag goes off the roof due to a lot of stupid luxury junk the dealerships have in them. I do not need XM radio or wood grain panels or any of that crap.

Trying to look at other brands but i'm not too familiar with all of this.

Suggestions?

Offline lowZX14

• Silver Member
      • Home of the 325th Checkertails VFG
Re: Truck Advice
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 04:33:05 PM »
The GM employee pricing is hard to beat but I think it might have gone out on the 1st.  My dad got a Silverado on the 29th, 2wd, extended cab, minimal goodies for around $21k
lowZX14
325th Checkertails VFG
www.325thcheckertailsvfg.com

Offline Enker

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 04:38:34 PM »
Try looking around in the used car lots (the reputable looking ones). I mean, my family got a little Mazda pick up in '95, and that has done all we needed it to do and more. used car lots are good places to get some good deals, 'cept it may be a bit difficult to find a truck that still has large amount of airbags that you want. Just keep looking
InGame ID: Cairn
Quote from: BillyD topic=283300.msg3581799#msg3581799
... FOR TEH MUPPET$ TO PAD OUR SCO?E N to WIN TEH EPIC WAR OF TEH UNIVERSE We MUST VULTCHE DA RUNWAYZ N DROP UR GUYZ FIGHTERZ Bunkarz Then OUR SKWAD will Finarry Get TACTICAL NOOK for 25 KILL SCORE  STREAK>X

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 04:41:07 PM »
Don't buy a 4X4 Unless you plan on using it. It will cost you 4 to 6 MPG over the 2 wheel drive model.

If you plan on using it as a 4X4 and plan on doing anything but dunes and mud, dont buy a truck, get a jeep.  :aok

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 04:41:44 PM »
well i cant get a small cab. The trade-in is the family sedan :P

So in short, im trying to squeeze the 'truck' into the 'sedan' part. So the mega-cab from the Dodge is spacious enough and has the flatbed.

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 04:45:46 PM »
Buy a car or wagon with a hitch and a used trailer.  Use the trailer when you need it; park it when you don't.  Save gas, save money.  Safer in the long run too.

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 12:08:32 AM »
Just so happens I'm new truck shopping now. I only looked at full size trucks. From what I've seen Dodge has the best deal right now. Better price (40% off sticker)and better warranty(lifetime powertrain). They also have the cylinder reduction feature that cuts it back to a 4 cylinder when cruising over 60. They offered me a $34,500 4 door Ram for $13,900 after incentives if I financed thru Chrysler.

Ford would be a close second place. 50% off sticker at some dealers, but their sticker is higher. Fewer incentives to go with the discount as well.

I like the F150's interior and ride better than the Ram. The Ram gets better milage. I think price will drop even more this month as dealers try to unload what's left of the '08 inventory before the '09's hit the showroom. Truck sales are down for all manufacturers, even import. Lowering the price is the only way to get sales jumpstarted.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2008, 07:46:08 AM »
i have a old pickup but it is not a daily driver, it sits by the barn until i need to haul something.

Offline Hornet33

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2008, 08:43:56 AM »
I've owned trucks my entire life, well there was that 6 month period when I was driving a Mercury Sable after my wife blew up the engine in my Suburban, but other that that, I'm a truck guy.

Stay away from the brand new trucks. I'll never buy a new one because they aren't worth the price tag. Look for a 4-6 year old truck with around 35-55,000 miles on it and one owner. Those are the guys that will have maintence records for everything, and the truck will be solid.

If your not looking to do any heavy towing look at a 1/2 ton truck. Chevy/GMC 1500 series, Ford F-150, Dodge Ram 1500, Toyota Tundra.

I've owned all of those and they are all good trucks in their own right. Out of all of them though, I would have to say the F-150 is probably one of the best as an all around truck. Get the extended cab 4 door version with the 302 small block V8 or similar engine and you have a comfortable driving truck that can haul a good sized load, tow a decent sized trailer (small camper or boat) with no problem, and will get pretty good gas mileage (15-20).

I'd also recomend a Suburban. Had a 1991 GMC 4X4 Suburban for 5 years and that was a great truck. Weekend camping trips with the wife, 2 kids, 2 dogs, and all our gear was no problem because there was room for everything. Got real good mileage with that one for as heavy a truck as it was, 17-20 on average. Towing an 18-24ft boat was no problem. All in all that was probably the best truck I've owned yet. Put over 100,000 miles on it in just over 4 years and it was a great running truck until my wife ran it out of oil on a trip I let her take it on. Cracked the engine block, so I had to put her down. That hurt. :cry

I currently own a Dodge Ram 1500 (2001) quad cab and ths one has been a great truck as well. Only downside with this one is the engine I have in it. 5.9L is way more than I need or use and it's a fuel hog. I'm actually looking to trade it in on another used Suburban if I can find one I really like.

Good luck with your shopping.
AHII Con 2006, HiTech, "This game is all about pissing off the other guy!!"

Offline Arado381

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2008, 08:59:09 AM »
Id go with the either the f-150 or a tundra both really good trucks. I know with four door they both have a lot of back seat room. But for the love of God get 4 wheel drive!! a 2 wheel drive truck in the snow is the worse than any vehicle... 4 wheel drive aint just for mud n' dirt :)

What do you mean you dont want XM? that radio is addicting! only $9/month  :salute
i <3 skuzzy :rock

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2008, 09:39:41 AM »
I live in Florida. Never snows here hehe.

RPM: how long ago was that? Some dealerships here have brought down a 41k ram 1500 mega-cab loaded with luxury junk i dont give a crap about 30k. Quite honestly, although I really like that truck that price is still too iffy for me considering other trucks are about the same and go for much lower. I really like their seating space though.

Trading in my sedan for 10k worth and I could even trade my SUV in for the same truck as it'd be replacing both vehicles (and not paying for 2 cars helps me wallet).

Next week i'll be getting more quotes and numbers and also looking into the Nissan trucks.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2008, 10:28:34 AM »
the longer you wait, the cheaper it'll be

once they pass the bail out and oil shoots back up, truck dealers will just about pay you to take full size trucks off their lots

double the discount if obamaman wins in Nov and russia pulls its next stunt to boost oil, not to mention Israel hitting Iran
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2008, 11:20:50 AM »
I dare ya to get one of these. :D dogs won't thear it up, wife won't want to ride with ya, and your kids will have a ball. :aok
Just don't take it to the country club.....they frown on divets :lol
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 11:23:17 AM by uptown »
Lighten up Francis

Offline Arado381

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2008, 11:27:08 AM »
I worked on a horse farm for a while and even in wet grass the 2 wheel drive f150 couldent make it up the smallest of inclines. And I guarantee you the second you get the truck everybody you know is going to be calling "I just bought a new sofa can you help me..."  you never know :) :salute

i <3 skuzzy :rock

Offline Stalwart

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2008, 11:35:53 AM »
I've been happy with my '95 Chevy S-10 extended cab.  This is my daily driver.  I only tow things very occasionally, and it's not a "work" truck.  I bought it new and I have 196K miles on it.  Besides tune ups all I've changed is the exhaust and the alternator.  I'm a big guy, but I'm comfortable in it, and it's easy to park, compared to full size trucks and SUVs.  I'm glad I didn't get the regular cab.  There's too many times I had to carry an extra person, or carry something in the cab out of the rain.  I wish I had this vehicle in school.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 11:44:55 AM by Stalwart »