Author Topic: Completed Build (almost) parts list  (Read 1347 times)

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Re: Completed Build (almost) parts list
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2008, 04:57:58 PM »
ok changed the system memory multiplier  from Auto to 3.20.

which seems to have upped the memory to 1066
At which point some red letters were flashing warning that the system voltage wasnt optimised.
I set the system voltage control from "manual" to "auto" and that seems to have corrected it.

this all sounding about right?

Assuming it is.

Next on the list is getting this hard drive partitioned.

I am guessing since I seem to have 0 unallocated space available. Im going ot have to do a reinstall of XP?
When I did the install I dont remember seeing an option to set partitian size

I would suggest that you go to newegg or to the memory manufacturer's web-site and set the memory timings to spec (the 4-4-4-12 numbers or whatever they are for your memory) and then set the RAM voltage to spec rather than setting it to auto.

It sounds like you didn't format the hard drive before trying to install XP although it seems somehow it formatted just enough to allow the OS to install.  It should allow you to set partition sizes during formatting.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 05:00:00 PM by BaldEagl »
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2008, 05:52:45 PM »
I would suggest that you go to newegg or to the memory manufacturer's web-site and set the memory timings to spec (the 4-4-4-12 numbers or whatever they are for your memory) and then set the RAM voltage to spec rather than setting it to auto.

It sounds like you didn't format the hard drive before trying to install XP although it seems somehow it formatted just enough to allow the OS to install.  It should allow you to set partition sizes during formatting.

No. What I think it did is create one BIG partition almost 750 gigs big LOL

Starting over from scratch with a fresh install.
Allocating 20 Gig to windows and the rest pretty much split in half for everything else

will do on the ram.
Any particular reason why?
Jst trying to understand
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2008, 06:24:24 PM »
DRED, here is some info for you to easily have.   I went to Kingston's site and looked up what you have (if it was from the 1st page).

For Kingston HyperX KHX8500D2K4/4G:

For 1066Mhz:
Latency should be set at 5-5-5-15   
Voltage should be set at 2.2V

For 800Mhz:
Latency should be set at 5-5-5-18   
Voltage should be set at 1.8V

This is what your RAM runs best at for the given SPD.   

Go into BIOS (unfortunately I have ASUS) and adjust both accordingly.   You should have NO PROBLEMS after doing so, if you do, revert to 800Mhz (which if I'm understanding the data sheet correctly, is "Default" per se.)    But it says it has been tested to 1066Mhz. 

My ASUS PK5-E was set at "Auto".   I assumed it was at 1066 (I have 2x2GB Mushkins which are PC8500 as well).   I was wrong, it was two lines slower on my screen SPD wise.   I put it at 1066 and then saved, as the Voltage was already at it's preferred level.   

You may already know all of this but, I'm just trying to help.   If you need a walk through, PM me your number and I'll be glad to assist you, to the best that I am able. 

:salute
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2008, 08:29:15 PM »
Thanks. And I really appreciate any and all help I get.

Even though this is like my 4th build since I do so so infrequently I still get stuck in some areas.
My knowledge is outdated in some areas. And some things I just outright forget.
Not to mention part and brand differences.
Lack of repetition.

Some things even though I may know I just want to make sure I do know and not only think I know.

Yanno? LOL
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2008, 08:44:20 PM »
If you overclock anything, I don't think you want to use the Dynamic Energy Saver software.  I think it mentions that directly.  The DES underclocks the system to save power when the computer isn't doing much.  When it sees the demand go up, it automatically sets the system back up to standard clock settings.  I don't think it goes back to whatever overclock you chose and I think it says to not use DES if you are overclocking.  (Although, "Optimized Defaults" is not overclocking.)

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2008, 11:54:56 PM »
will do on the ram.
Any particular reason why?
Jst trying to understand

You bought good RAM so you may as well get all the intended performance out of it.

All four of the numbers are latency numbers although they aren't all as critical as the cas latency.  But to hit the "sweet spot" for your RAM you also have to provide the correct voltage.

In my machine, the BIOS defaults my RAM to 5-5-5-16 timings at 1.85 volts.  It runs fine that way.  The recommended settings are 4-4-4-12 at 2.0 volts which is where I have it set.  Can I notice the difference?  Probably not but since the mfg says this is where it should run then I'm sure I'm gaining at least a small performance edge over the motherboards default settings.

Overclocking RAM is a tricky thing in terms of performance as most often, as you overclock the RAM you have to loosen the timings essentially negating the performance gain from overclocking it.

What I'm saying is each type of RAM has it's own sweet spot so take advantage of it.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 11:58:40 PM by BaldEagl »
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2008, 02:00:16 AM »
One should remember that playing with ram timings gives negligable returns and can lead to system stability problems or ironically even serious slowdowns.

The most important thing with ram is that you have enough of it. The best return for tweaking generally comes from overclocking the cpu where Intel excels. You can often get 20-30% more performance by a simple bios setting change. With memory your gain will be 1% if you're lucky.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline drdeathx

• Silver Member
      • [URL=http://s435.photobucket.com/albums/qq77/AAdeath/?action=view&current=woodland-critters-christmas-1024x76.jpg][IMG]http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq77/AAdeath/th_woodland-critters-christmas-1024x76.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2008, 03:02:54 AM »
dred u may have to up the volts a tad to ur ram in bios. I have mine at 1066 with 2.1 v. U use a differnt mb and bios than me im sure but do a google search with your cpu , mb and ram. There should be a forum that gets u volt info and timing info. baldeagle is right though i switched timings volts everything and really found no visual improvment. Everything I read stated the same comclusion as baldeagle gave. I just tried to advance my timings to see if i could get more out of my processor and could not.
See Rule #6