Author Topic: Memory Usage Question  (Read 825 times)

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
Memory Usage Question
« on: October 03, 2008, 06:34:33 AM »
In the hardware forum, there is a thread about memory usage and increasing memory but I didn't want to hijack that thread.

Now I know the Ctrl-I funtion can't be relied on for video memory usage. But, I thought system memory was at least close.

With that said, I hit Ctrl-I just to see what it said for system memory and this is what I got...

SystemMem 2048m Used: 0.0m Tex: 114.9m

I guess my question is, how could 0.0M system memory be used? Is this a bug? Or, am I misunderstanding something?
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: Memory Usage Question
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 08:04:05 AM »
That is interesting.  How much physical RAM does the computer have?  What operating system?  Are you running any thi8rd part virtual memory applications, such as VMWare?
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 09:15:11 AM »
4 Gb ram (3.5 usable)
XP-Home (SP-2)
E8400 Core2 Duo
No virtual memory aps.

I do preload textures.

I'm thinking that maybe the game is running on a single core, but somehow is looking at the unused core for system memory. And I think, I can't be 100% certain, but I think this started with this patch.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 09:23:41 AM by NHawk »
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline dentin

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 09:36:24 AM »
That is interesting.  How much physical RAM does the computer have?  What operating system?  Are you running any thi8rd part virtual memory applications, such as VMWare?

Same situation here..always has been . 

System:
4 Gb ram (Physical Memory :   4096 MB (4 x 1024 DDR2-SDRAM )
Operating System :   Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.01.2600 Service Pack 2
E6850 Core2 Duo @ 3000 MHZ
No virtual memory aps.

I do preload textures.
"The more I see of the depressing stature of people, the more I admire my dogs."
 Opinions are like Armpits..everyone has two and sometime they both stink!
"No matter how much things change, They remain the same"

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 11:07:42 AM »
Same here.  Preload textures and Ctrl-I reads: SystemMem 2048.0M Used 0.0M Tex 115.1M.  XP SP3 on E8400 w 4GB RAM.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 11:12:18 AM »
The OS tells us the available memory.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 11:50:05 AM »
ACK!! My system is lieing! Bad OS...Bad!  :)

Offline llama

• Silver Member
      • http://www.warrenernst.com/
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2008, 12:54:41 PM »
XP SP3 and 4GB of ram on my system, and the Control-I Display is the basically the same thing for me too.

Just a data point.

-Llama

Interesting server at 69.12.181.171

Offline dentin

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2008, 03:29:39 PM »

Perhaps y'all could expand the above statement??
"The more I see of the depressing stature of people, the more I admire my dogs."
 Opinions are like Armpits..everyone has two and sometime they both stink!
"No matter how much things change, They remain the same"

Offline Blade

• Nickel Member
      • Battoutai
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2008, 11:05:27 PM »
me too :frown:

VidMem 2667.8M Used 9.2M Cont=0
SystemMem 1024.0M Used 0.0M Tex=137.7M

and Not enable Pre-load Texture option.

My PC
-Core2Duo E6600 2.4GHz
-8GB DDR2 SDRAM (2048MB x 4)
-GeForce880GT with 512MB Video Memory
-Windows Vista Ultimate 64Bit
---------------------------
Who Dares Wins
---------------------------
抜刀隊Blog http://battoutai.blogspot.com
Aces High Wiki Plus! http://www43.atwiki.jp/aceshigh/

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2008, 01:22:20 AM »
Windows Vista Ultimate x64
2663.6M Video Mem (should be 1024 I think?) Used 5.2M
SystemMem 255.5M (should be 8192 I think?) Used 30.5M Tex=0.0M

I think it was reading right until I installed a second card for SLI.

Preload options are not available and 1024 textures make no difference I can see on my system unless I run the program in administrator mode (I should have installed the program outside of '\program files (x86)') in which case I can preload textures but not skins and 1024 textures still dont look any different.

I do run the program in Windows 98 compatibility mode to avoid certain issues which come up from time-to-time but these settings and the Ctrl-I report do not change no matter the compatibility settings.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 01:44:34 AM by Chalenge »
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2008, 01:06:59 AM »
I reinstalled AHII outside of the '\Program Files (x86)' folder and under those circumstances even under administrator mode the preload textures option is not available.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline drdeathx

• Silver Member
      • [URL=http://s435.photobucket.com/albums/qq77/AAdeath/?action=view&current=woodland-critters-christmas-1024x76.jpg][IMG]http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq77/AAdeath/th_woodland-critters-christmas-1024x76.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2008, 02:25:33 AM »
its just not accurate ignore it use sandra or other software to check memory
See Rule #6

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2008, 07:13:27 AM »
its just not accurate ignore it use sandra or other software to check memory

You have no idea what you are talking about here. 

When you have more than 2GB of RAM in the computer, the physical amount of memory and system memory being used get altered by the operating system as applcations are only allowed to address 2GB of RAM, maximum, by Windows.  The reported numbers may be accurate (they are coming from the operating system), as the operating system, and any other applications, may be loaded in the remaining RAM.

We will be looking into this.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 07:17:01 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2008, 12:21:12 PM »
While doing further tests with compatibility settings I cam across something interesting. I accidently chose 'Windows 95' for a compatibility setting. I took off online and went to a vehicle field to eliminate the troop barracks. One of my squad mates was saying my radio button wasnt unclickng. Sure enough he could hear me even when I didnt press the button to transmit. As I came into a furball over our field I was experiencing severely degraded performance and freeze frames but also when I gave out six calls they were not received until several seconds late. My mouse was unable to drag the map on the clipboard and double clicking fields did not allow me to move to them. I relogged thinking the connection was bad and discovered the compatibility setting was wrong.

Texture memory readings from the CTRL-I function showed memory was getting more and more use as time progressed starting at 5.5M and ending at 251.2M.