Author Topic: will it work????  (Read 975 times)

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
will it work????
« on: October 03, 2008, 02:31:28 PM »
Well, the bailout bill pass.  Now the real quesion is, WILL IT WORK?? 

Lets compare this situation with the 1929 market crash.  Keep in mind that we really dint know why it happen.  One theory is "oversupply".  At the time, Herbert Hoover was president.  He believe that public confidence was the key to recovery.  Or as he say " PROSPERITY IS JUST AROUND THE CORNER".  Man was he wrong.  So, U.S and most of the world feel into depresion. 

Up next to take on the issue was Franklin Roosevelt.  How dose he respond to the economic crisis, "WE HAVE NOTHING TO FEAR BUT FEAR ITSELF".  Meaning that he was not afraid to try anything.  How dose he help the publice with unemployment, he comes up with NRA, AAA, SSI, WPA, PWA, FDIC, TVA, CCC.  Altogether, he called it "THE NEW DEAL".  This deal was to improvised structure of welfare, job programs and economic planning.  Well, depresion happen as way to many organzation took advantage of the new deal.  There was a lot that happen from the new deal to dec. 7, 1941 that i am not going to cover.  But many people like it, many hate it.  The new deal didn't work for most of the people.  But thank god we got into war.  With mobilization, the economy boomed.  This means factories open there door, unemployment vanished, inflation was checked by Gov. prices.  The economic crisis, depression was gone.

So, now here we are, 2008.  We have been at war for 7-8 years that most likely will never end, gas prices still above $3.oo gal., housing market at its worst, government spending out of control, investor are being carless, loans are give to people who shouldn't qualify, and now California needs $700 billion to bail out.  It is hard to say.  Nobody know how this bailout will work and who will most likely benefit from it. 

That my 2 cents   
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
Re: will it work????
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 02:41:29 PM »
1st.. the war we have no is no 'war' by the definition used for WWII.. not even close.

2nd.. FDR's socialization program became the monkey we have on our backs now.. it didn't work then won't work now.

3rd.. The economy WILL tank. IS tanking. Will CONTINUE to tank.

..and we'll remain in the tank long past the upcoming collapse of the government and it's replacement by a system that will be abhorrent to anybody that's left alive (in this country) today. 
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline DYNAMITE

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.texasaircav.com/
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 02:44:44 PM »
This deal was to improvised structure of welfare, job programs and economic planning.  Well, depresion happen as way to many organzation took advantage of the new deal.

The depression had been going strong for 2 years prior to him taking office... but other than that you're pretty spot on.

I don't know what will happen as a result of the bailout... My guess is that Ron Paul is right and that when the **** really hits the fan, the bailout will only have served as making things worse because the problem was allowed to grow further.

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 02:52:57 PM »
1st.. the war we have no is no 'war' by the definition used for WWII.. not even close.

2nd.. FDR's socialization program became the monkey we have on our backs now.. it didn't work then won't work now.

3rd.. The economy WILL tank. IS tanking. Will CONTINUE to tank.

..and we'll remain in the tank long past the upcoming collapse of the government and it's replacement by a system that will be abhorrent to anybody that's left alive (in this country) today. 

You missed my point.  FDR plane was something he tryed.  Nobody didn't know if it work.  It took a long time to kick in and well, it really didn't work that well.  BUT, it didn't prevent the country to split or at least kept the country head above the water for sometime  AND, U.S getting in the war help tremendously. 
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 02:53:31 PM »

It's a ****ing war for many families, including mine anyway you slice it.

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 02:54:36 PM »
WILL IT WORK??

I think anyone smart enough to know the answer to this question isn't wasting their time here.
sand

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 02:58:33 PM »
I think anyone smart enough to know the answer to this question isn't wasting their time here.

Well, i see your point coming from Califorina.
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Mr No Name

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2008, 02:59:09 PM »
Nope... The hogs will be back at the trough soon enough.
Vote R.E. Lee '24

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2008, 03:01:00 PM »

I back you up on your situation.  How is he doing these days?
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2008, 03:01:10 PM »

Yup. No disrespect intended. <S!>

We're on a war footing with an infinitesimal commitment to a tiny force compared to the commitment made by this nation for WWII.  
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2008, 03:01:17 PM »
Well, i see your point coming from Califorina.

Your point?
sand

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2008, 03:03:13 PM »
Your point?

Why is Califorina asking for a $7 billion bailout?
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Mr No Name

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2008, 03:07:20 PM »
The problem was, all of those government programs FDR started kept us in the depression, which was worldwide for about 10 years longer than the rest of the world - even Germany.  Only WW2 brought us out.  Once again, government interference was the problem, not the solution.
Vote R.E. Lee '24

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2008, 03:08:41 PM »
Why is Califorina asking for a $7 billion bailout?

Because Swarzenegger is worried about obtaining loans due to the problems in the credit market. California typically obtains loans in the fall while it waits for tax revenues in the spring.

If other states follow the same practice, I think it's just a matter of time before they do the same thing.
sand

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2008, 03:09:43 PM »

Lets compare this situation with the 1929 market crash.  Keep in mind that we really dint know why it happen.   

we do know how it happened, there was a trade/tariff war between nations (protectionist), that shut down international trade and companies lost business, it caused world wide depression.

The US stock market at the time allowed margin accounts of only 10% with no proof of liquidability to back up the position. When stocks started to fall the "investors" had to meet margin calls and did not have the money because they were leveraged to the max, they then started to sell off other stocks to meet the margin calls and that led to a chain reaction of all stocks falling.

now margin accounts are at 50% and you must prove you have the liquid assets to back up any margin calls.