Author Topic: Gimp 2.6 released  (Read 222 times)

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Gimp 2.6 released
« on: October 03, 2008, 09:55:58 PM »
For anyone interested
the new version of GIMP is out.

You can check out a write up of its new features as well as a link for the download here

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20081001-gimp-2-6-released-one-step-closer-to-taking-on-photoshop.html

Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
Re: Gimp 2.6 released
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 10:30:29 PM »
Cool. Thx! :aok
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 07:46:11 AM »
Gimp is a great program at a great price.

I found it very difficult to use, however. 

I much prefer http://www.paint.net/
This program also is free and open source.  There are tons of great ad-ons and a good bulletin board for support.  You can always see what you are doing.  It is very simple and intuitive to work with layers.  It generates preview effects over the entire image instead of a tiny preview window.  If I recall, Gimp has a few things that you just have to try to see what they do, and then undo, adjust, apply again, etc. 

I used The Gimp in my lab for a couple years (I teach computers in a K-8 Catholic school).  My 8th graders had a hard time getting anything done with it.  It wouldn't save to a network account; they had to save to the hard drives.  The guides, were difficult to use.  Now we use Paint.net; I'm/we're having a much easier time.

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 09:56:17 AM »
I've always used Photoshop and such so I'm probably biased.  I did try Gimp (for only 5 minutes) a while back as I was unimpressed with the GUI.  But I thought I read the GUI changed in this newest version.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline WilldCrd

• Gold Member
      • http://www.wildaces.org
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 09:59:17 AM »
I've always used Photoshop and such so I'm probably biased.  I did try Gimp (for only 5 minutes) a while back as I was unimpressed with the GUI.  But I thought I read the GUI changed in this newest version.

i tried gimp before and foun it not so user freindly for a beginner. unfortunatly i cant afford photo shop  :frown:
Crap now I gotta redo my cool sig.....crap!!! I cant remeber how to do it all !!!!!

Offline RATTFINK

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 10:17:43 AM »
GiMP will have to do for now... my other comp. fried.
Hitting trees since tour 78