Author Topic: What happens to a squad?  (Read 1217 times)

Offline bswin03

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.4thfg.org
What happens to a squad?
« on: October 04, 2008, 08:09:08 AM »
Recently we had several things contribute to the demise of a great squad.  First  we had several players leave, all it seems for different reasons, a few for the same.  Its never been the most organized squad, but usually had a good turnout on squad nights.  Had some very experienced sticks, mixed with the new guys.  At one point i remember dropping inactive players to make room for others that wanted to join the squad. Second...the squad website and BBS got hacked..and is now not usable.  That really hurts communication between remaining squad members..not letting us talk to form a plan to get the squad back on its feet.  Unfortunately one of the squaddies to leave was the one who had the knowledge to run our website and BBS.  Third....and perhaps the most damaging....our CO needed a break for a bit...totally understandable...but it leaves the squad in a mess..not due to lack of leadership.but..even bigger lack of organization.  With his account cancelled..he cant even log on to disband the squad to let someone else reform it as the new CO in his absence.  A call to HTC was placed by another squaddie in order to have them simply swap Co's but was told they wouldn't do it, the squad would have to be disbanded and reformed.  Besides the previous problem of not being able to disband...many of our players are sporadic at flying anymore due to the lack of organization.  Theres no way to contact them unless on line playing with them..even if we wanted to slightly change the squad name and reform.  Is this the death of a squad?  A few of us are trying to hold it together...but have limited capabilities with no CO powers.  The squads been around for a long time....a good many of the players going back to AW days.  I just realized this is starting to sound allot like a  Dear Abby letter... :rofl How long do we hold on before the remaining active players go there separate ways?  Anyone have the same issues before?  Results?  Advice?

Signed,
                                                                                                            Squadless in PA    :D

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: What happens to a squad?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 09:24:38 AM »
I've seen it before, and once even saw it done maliciously. If you are serious about the squad, someone has to take the reigns and get to it!

Start a new squad, and add some minor change to the name to pass the filters. Invite everyone that was in the "old" squad. When they log in they will get the system message to join the new squad, and then its up to them. As for the web site, get the codes from who ever was running it before if its a paid site. Log in, delete the whole thing, and change the access codes. If its a free site, start a new one.

For the squad in the game, set a squad night and get everyone there. email is a wonderfull way to set things up. You can use an email group like yahoo offers if you have to many names on your email each time. DOn't just site there wiondering about "whats going to happen to our squad?" Make things happen !

Offline bswin03

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 10:12:01 AM »
thanx fugitive...was not sure about the invite thing though.  If they are still in the squad they will not recieve the invite message...i don't think so anyway.  As for the e-mail...our e-mail list was lost with the website.  Unfortunately its coming up as a malicious web site now..whoever hacked it..left a present in the form of a nasty virus..reminds me of the navy...but back on the subject, i had to completely re-install OS.  I'm willing to take the reigns, but i can't seem to find that good starting point...I think re-forming the squad will be our only option..the squad still shows up as property of the old CO...so until we do that we will have a headless monster.

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 10:16:44 AM »
delete the whole thing, and change the access codes. If its a free site, start a new one.

Why would you delete it and start a new one? Go in tot your MySQL data base and change the password and admin email address. The website is still there and is most likely parked under a BS website or someone simple changed the index/home page to something stupid...
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline bswin03

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 10:37:13 AM »
i meant the squad..the website i think we could recover...if someonw knows what they're doing does it...its outta my capabilities :salute

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008, 01:15:05 AM »
Go get em Swinny.  Of course you'll have to learn to fly a 51 :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline bswin03

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 10:34:12 AM »
i never really fly german stuff like those p-51's..... :P

Offline bswin03

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2008, 10:44:36 AM »
quick update....we restarted the squad under a revised name..same name ..just creativley added a space or 2.  gonna try to keep her goin.  we could definitely use a couple of good sticks if anyone is interested...website is also in the process of being rebuilt.  this is going to turn into the "save the 4th!" campaign  :rock appreciate all the help and advice gents...and the occasional shot in the ribs from guppy is very helpful too  :rolleyes: :D

Offline Hungry

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2008, 01:35:31 PM »
BSwin03 you have a PM
"I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a Hamburger today"

Offline Hamltnblue

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2008, 09:26:29 PM »
Hey Bswin
Sorry to see this happen but if you need any help we'll be glad to do so.
Just shout.
 :salute

Offline Odee

• Gold Member
      • 49th Fighter Group
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2008, 10:43:43 PM »
i never really fly german stuff like those p-51's..... :P
How about those Kraut P-38's?  You gotta know it's German if it carries MG's and kannonen
~Nobodee~   Get Poached!
Elite: Dangerous ~ Cmd Odeed

http://www.luxlibertas.com/

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2008, 12:50:47 AM »
Saw Swinny up tonite and landing kills with the new squad.  Bastage was in a Zeke! :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline bswin03

• Zinc Member
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2008, 05:54:17 PM »
that wasn't a zeke...ummm..it ...ahhhh...ok i was i bored...you caught me   :confused:

just want to say thanks for the response guys...and all the help offered...im sure we'll need it...gotta few loose ends to tie up within whats left of the old squad, and i think we'll start recruiting pretty hard to fill up that roster thanks again all  :salute

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2008, 06:45:11 PM »
that wasn't a zeke...ummm..it ...ahhhh...ok i was i bored...you caught me   :confused:

just want to say thanks for the response guys...and all the help offered...im sure we'll need it...gotta few loose ends to tie up within whats left of the old squad, and i think we'll start recruiting pretty hard to fill up that roster thanks again all  :salute

One word of advice Swinny.  Don't rush to fill it with numbers.  Go slow, and fill it with guys that are into it, and compatable with each other.  Better to have a smaller squad of guys who you actually fly with then a large on of guys who don't know each other.

I see too many squads that recruit like crazy trying to fill the squad then 'wings' (not that they exist in AH) and it implodes on itself.

Too much history with the 4th to do that :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2008, 11:53:35 AM »
One last thing...make sure that more than one person has an email list of all the squadron members and periodically send things out just to make sure that it is correct and all emails are active.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"