Author Topic: Truck Advice  (Read 569 times)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: Truck Advice
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2008, 11:58:33 AM »
If you get a crew cab get 4WD. I've seen so many of those get stuck just trying to back up on a curb because of their weight.

I've had trucks all my life.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2008, 01:02:40 PM »
I love my Toyota Tundra, and they make a 4 door version.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2008, 01:12:26 PM »
RPM: how long ago was that?

Last week.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Capt.Joe

• Copper Member
      • Birds of Prey
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2008, 06:40:59 PM »
Might be a little big but they're a steal right now. We have a '95 F-350 Crewcab 4x4. PLENTY of legroom and PLENTY of power (460 V8). We bought it for $5,500 with a 6" lift and new wheels and tires.

~*~Birds of Prey "MERLINS"~*~
________
[_|_,o[__]o,
[--|_|- OlllllO-

( )_) ( )_)-)_)
J

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2008, 06:42:36 PM »
Nice.

I went and looked at the Nissan trucks..even some fords.

Sadly, neither have the rear-seat room I was looking for. The only real option for what I need is the ram1500 mega-cab. its like a bed back there once folded flat *grin*

I'll definetely wait near december to see how the price drops. If not then I keep my sedan and wait a year more then get a much lower priced 2nd hand. This is really going to be my 'permanent' vehicle from now on so I really want something that will last and can multi-task.

the vroom vroom, the height and the bed on the back are just to sweet ...and worth waiting for.  :devil

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2008, 09:11:19 PM »
Nice.

I went and looked at the Nissan trucks..even some fords.

Sadly, neither have the rear-seat room I was looking for. The only real option for what I need is the ram1500 mega-cab. its like a bed back there once folded flat *grin*

I'll definetely wait near december to see how the price drops. If not then I keep my sedan and wait a year more then get a much lower priced 2nd hand. This is really going to be my 'permanent' vehicle from now on so I really want something that will last and can multi-task.

the vroom vroom, the height and the bed on the back are just to sweet ...and worth waiting for.  :devil

Check out the Tundra, if you dare.   :D
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline SFCHONDO

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2008, 09:15:31 PM »
Go Ford, had mine 4 years now and love it  :aok

HONDO
DENVER BRONCOS    

Retired from AH

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2008, 09:18:24 PM »
Check out the Tundra, if you dare.   :D

I did. Not enough crew cab space.

I have 2 large mastiff dogs... lets just say the dodge literally has the biggest rear cab area than the others. I put both of them on the dodge mega-cab and they were happy campers. Put them on the biggest crew cab the others have (yeah them salespeople be desperate enough to let me load 2 dogs into their new vehicles hehehe) and them poor things were packed like sardines.

If it didn't, hell yea's i'd be getting either the Titan, Tundra or Frontier for the better price & same stuff (except cab space)

Wasn't impressed with the Ford 150's though. The moment I sat in it the first thing I noticed was the massive amount of cheap plastic used all over the place. Looked like an oversized ford focus.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 09:20:04 PM by Tac »

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2008, 09:44:44 PM »
i like my Chevy, but then I've been driving them for thirty five of my forty two years, i hear good things about the Yoda's , as well,   never really liked the fords, just a personal quirk, of mine, and yes i owned two fords, didnt like either one!
 my 07 1500 got about 17 mpg before i put the 35's on it, now it gets average of 14,
it has the 5.3 ltr. but i do have some other goodies in it as well,(top secret)!
3.73 gears really lets the motor unload so as to get the best milage. ( i used to sell them as well, you wouldn't believe how hard it was to convince people that the lower gears worked better, so i sent three trucks out for  a week on the same route all with diff. gear sets, 3.73s out preformed all others!)
 if you don't mind shifting gears then get a five speed, for a little better milage as well. as far as 4X4 is concerned, the I.F.S. trucks don't hurt the milage all that much, and they hold there value alot better than the 2 wheel's. in case you wanted to trade or resell later. the dodge is the only ones that still suffer if they are 4X4 on milage, that i know of, but the solid axle trucks are tougher than the I.F.S., if you plan on going  off road alot, but i havent broken an I.F.S. unit since 97 and i four wheel two or three times a week in some pretty tough spots, but i dont do any hard climbing in this truck.
 i am partial too the chevy's myself, i got an extended cab this time, but the crewcabs are nice trucks to.

Flying since tour 71.

Offline superpug1

• Probation
  • Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2008, 12:48:31 AM »
You should look at chevy. Always been reliable. My silverado is an 87, has 115000 miles consistantly tows one to two thousand lbs over what its sposed to. Never had a problem cept for getting a new ignition coil this year and a new alternator after my sound system was put in.

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2008, 03:20:08 PM »
We've gotten far better service as well as fuel mileage from the GM trucks. If you don't NEED a 8' bed, the GM crew cab short bed truck is one of the very best platforms on the market. It drives well, handles well, and fits in a lot of places nicely. The fuel mileage penalty between a 1/2 ton and a 3/4 ton is about 1-2 MPG in a gasoline powered truck. The fuel mileage penalty between 4x2 and 4x4 is also about 1-2 MPG. With diesel coming back down, but with truck prices in the used market still staying low, the GM 2500HD 4x4 DuraMax diesel is a great value. Unloaded we've had them get as much as 24 MPG on the Interstate, and hold up around 15-17 MPG in the city, depending on how much traffic there is. The ONLY drawback to those trucks is that in mud or soft ground, the stock tires are too narrow in the front. We've had incredible service out of those trucks since they became available, with some approaching 500K miles. The most that has ever been done to any of them is one truck had a set of injectors and the pump replaced, the factory covered it even though it had close to 200K miles on it. Another had a rear wheel seal leak, GM put a rear end assembly in it after the first repair didn't hold up. The gas engine 1/2 and 3/4 ton versions have done well also, albeit with less fuel mileage. With the bigger gas engines, they are stout, and still get decent mileage, much better than the Dodge trucks with the same size and a little less power, and still better than an equivalent Ford. Between guys that hunt, guys that race, guys that farm, and guys in construction, we have a good cross section of truck uses and abuses, and different models. So we get a good idea of what does and does not work.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2008, 03:41:07 PM »
what brand diesel engine do they use?

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2008, 03:45:55 PM »
what brand diesel engine do they use?

The GM trucks? They use the DuraMax, it's a joint project between GM and Isuzu. I love that engine, it is quiet, smooth, powerful, efficient, and reliable. I much prefer it to the Cummins or the various Ford/IH engines.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe