Author Topic: Most resets occur during min. peak times  (Read 143 times)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Most resets occur during min. peak times
« on: February 12, 2001, 11:48:00 AM »
From the data I've gathered, most resets occur during non-peak hours...understandably so since less resistence is met...what could a game developer do to 'even' it out?  I've heard of ideas such as Perk rides for the subjected country, etc. etc.

Any other thoughts to 'balancing' countries during non-peak hours?

Pepino

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2001, 02:28:00 AM »
Get up early. We europeans have to get used to less sleep, if we want to have any numbers. I think Aussies and asian players got it worse  

Cheers,

Pepe

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2001, 06:58:00 AM »
This is possibly the toughest gameplay issue of them all IMO>

How do you balance so that capture is still possible with low numbers, yet keep gameplay the same for peak numbers?

What would happen if you could "rebuild" an ack by giveing up a perk point from a fields tower?

Or would mannable ack be a better solution?

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2001, 07:40:00 AM »
Scale AI ack at the main fields inversely with player strength.  A country with few players gets more AI ack to protect them from the hordes.  A country with lots of players gets less ack, and needs to devote some pilots to defense.  When all countries have few players, it would be near impossible to get a reset.
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Jimdandy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2001, 08:22:00 AM »
I'm still woundering about haveing just two sides. I don't mean a HA but just two side. What I've seen in the mornings is one team with a bunch of a sepecific time zone on. Then there are two teams that are much weaker than the one. Thus when the two front wars starts there is no way to defend effectively or to go on the offenceive at all. I get the impression that one country (time zone) started a squad and the other people from that area wanted to fly with others that were on at the same time so they switched sides. Other wise the lopsided odds that occur fairly often don't make a lot of sence if the players are assigned countries randomly. It is also a factor of small numbers. If you only have 20 people on it's easyer to get 2 and 3 to 1 odds. If you only had two sides it would make it so that a squad could be split and still have enough people on each side to do something. If you spit that group into therds it gets hard for any one side to have enough people to do anything. If to have 20 people on and divide it by three you end up with 8,8,4 or 6,6,8 or some times 4,4,12. In any of the cases it is easy to get one team on the ropes if even only 2 or three guys from another side are attacking the same team. As I said it might make it so there was less of a tendency to switch to another side because you want to be part of a team that's doing something other than defending. I don't hardly play at all in the mornings because it is very discouraging to see 10 guys with free reign of the board and 3 or 4 guys on the opposing sides in a constant struggle just to get into the air. With 200 people on there are just more resources to destribute over the map and a lot of different people that have their own agenda. Even at that when the double team starts you have 50 against 150. Just an idea based on my observations of the off peak game dynamics.

[This message has been edited by Jimdandy (edited 02-13-2001).]

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2001, 03:35:00 PM »
Not that ive seen rip. Im on 10pm-12am weeknights GMT +1200 (NZ Local). At that time we're lucky to have 25 players TOTAL - sometimes a bit more sometime less. There aint enough people to organise a piss-up in a brewery, let alone a reset. So you spend hours flying around searching for scraps. I aint never seen a reset for at least 2 months.

-------------------------
Spatula

=357th Pony Express=

From the Top 100 Things I'd Do If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord.
Reason # 87
"My vats of hazardous chemicals will be covered when not in use. Also, I will not construct walkways above them."
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline Gadfly

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2001, 04:59:00 PM »
Why does it matter?  Once it resets it is back to normal.  Start worrying when during offpeak hours they take all but one field and leave it like that.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2001, 10:43:00 AM »

Originally posted by Gadfly:
Why does it matter?  Once it resets it is back to normal.  Start worrying when during offpeak hours they take all but one field and leave it like that.

Thats not possible to do in Aces High.  My, you have been away for quite some time!