Author Topic: I did it!  (Read 463 times)

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
I did it!
« on: October 05, 2008, 06:43:32 AM »
Today, one month and ten days after my 16th birthday, I passed my practical exam and earned my private pilot's license in a glider! And since someone crashed my plane and im too broke to rent another one unless im going to make VERY good use of it, Im going to spend what I have left next weekend to jump in a Cessna and start earning hours for my powered now that Im old enough. Sadly, until my motorglider gets replaced, I won't be flying much :(

Offline wrongwayric

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
Re: I did it!
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 08:38:33 AM »
Congratulations on the license. :aok I think i'd be pretty mad if someone crashed my plane. Make him pay for the rental till yours is fixed. ;)

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 09:00:52 AM »
Congratulations on the license. :aok I think i'd be pretty mad if someone crashed my plane. Make him pay for the rental till yours is fixed. ;)

I suspect when he said someone crashed his plane, he was referring to the glider he rented.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline detch01

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 09:32:32 AM »
Congrats Serenity! :aok

Fair winds and strong thermals.

Cheers,
asw
asw
Latrine Attendant, 1st class
semper in excretio, solum profundum variat

Offline Nwbie

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 10:57:39 AM »
Congrats  :aok
Skuzzy-- "Facts are slowly becoming irrelevant in favor of the nutjob."

Offline RATTFINK

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008, 11:01:26 AM »
WTG Serenity <<S>>

Others will drive & you will fly... how good it is :)
Hitting trees since tour 78

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 11:30:32 AM »
Today, one month and ten days after my 16th birthday, I passed my practical exam and earned my private pilot's license in a glider! And since someone crashed my plane and im too broke to rent another one unless im going to make VERY good use of it, Im going to spend what I have left next weekend to jump in a Cessna and start earning hours for my powered now that Im old enough. Sadly, until my motorglider gets replaced, I won't be flying much :(

Woohoo! Go Reynolds!

Very happy for you :)
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2008, 11:34:38 AM »
Nice! I'm going the other way... I expect to have my PPL by the spring. After that, gliders. :)
sand

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2008, 11:46:44 AM »
I suspect when he said someone crashed his plane, he was referring to the glider he rented.

Nope. My "birthday present" last year was a motor-glider, a Samba XXL. Technically, despite the engine and its performance it was still rated as a glider, so I could legally fly it with the glider ticket. We rent it out to make a little money on the side, and one of the guys who was renting it landed pretty hard on the nose-wheel and broke it. There was a prop-strike, it skidded off the runway into the grass, and the back of the wheel-cowling-thingy punctured the bottom of the fuselage when the wheel broke. Heres what she looked like pre-crash:

Unfortunately, I hadn't flown a true glider since we bought that, so I was a bit nervous. I hadn't flown a plane without an engine in over a year except for the the three quick patterns as preperation for the exam :(

Offline wrongwayric

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2008, 11:59:15 AM »
The " and since someone crashed my plane" part clued me in to it wasn't a rental. You must have missed that?

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2008, 12:05:31 PM »
Dude, you can never complain about your parents again, ever. :rolleyes:

Congratulations. :aok
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2008, 12:42:26 PM »
Nope. My "birthday present" last year was a motor-glider, a Samba XXL. Technically, despite the engine and its performance it was still rated as a glider, so I could legally fly it with the glider ticket. We rent it out to make a little money on the side, and one of the guys who was renting it landed pretty hard on the nose-wheel and broke it. There was a prop-strike, it skidded off the runway into the grass, and the back of the wheel-cowling-thingy punctured the bottom of the fuselage when the wheel broke. Heres what she looked like pre-crash:

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

Unfortunately, I hadn't flown a true glider since we bought that, so I was a bit nervous. I hadn't flown a plane without an engine in over a year except for the the three quick patterns as preperation for the exam :(

Well then that really sucks.  Just about everyone I have known to rent out or lease back an aircraft has suffered some damage one way or the other.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline mensa180

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2008, 12:45:21 PM »

Congrats Serenity, I'm still waiting for the big 1-7 so I can get my licenses :)
inactive
80th FS "Headhunters"
Public Relations Officer

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2008, 02:16:16 PM »
this aircraft has interchangeable wingtips?
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline BaDkaRmA158Th

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2008, 02:52:00 PM »
Congrats, avoid the ground.
You wont get a second chance.

:salute
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 03:01:16 PM by BaDkaRmA158Th »
~383Rd RTC/CH BW/AG~
BaDfaRmA

My signature says "Our commitment to diplomacy will never inhibit our willingness to kick a$s."