Author Topic: Skin: Spit IX, 332 (Norwegian) Sqn, Operation 'Starkey'  (Read 3374 times)

Offline jocko-

• Copper Member
Skin: Spit IX, 332 (Norwegian) Sqn, Operation 'Starkey'
« on: October 06, 2008, 08:22:33 PM »

AB457, coded AH-K, No. 332 (Norwegian) Sqn, RAF, North Weald, September 9, 1943.  Standard day fighter scheme, temporary special markings were applied in Night/White distemper.  For Operation Starkey, single engine aircraft were to have wingtips painted in Night, inboard to where the chord of the wing reached five feet in length (chord is the straight line distance between leading and trailing edges of the wing).  Two 18" wide stripes each of White and Night were then applied inward in an alternating fashion.  Like the later invasion stripes these markings were applied to both the upper and lower surfaces of the wing, over the existing paint.  Twin engined aircraft received the same treatment, as well as having the entire nose painted rearward from its tip a distance of five feet six inches in White distemper (any plexiglass to remain unpainted ;)). 

I thought maybe we could use a stripey Spit IX that was from something other than D-Day.  You can read about Operation Starkey here: http://www.combinedops.com/Operation%20Starkey.htm
417jocko
XO
351st FS, 353rd FG
"Slybirds!"

Offline TwinBoom

• Gold Member
      • 39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"
Re: Skin: Spit IX, 332 (Norwegian) Sqn, Operation 'Starkey'
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 08:39:09 PM »
very nice jocko
TBs Sounds 
39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"NOSEART

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 09:15:44 PM »
I like that.  Very nice job.
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 09:49:51 PM »
Jocko, do you have a photo of that one?  I've never seen that Starky marking before.

Spit the Hist has AB457 as a Spit Vc later converted to IX and with 331 Squadron
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 03:08:38 AM »
My god thats a great looking bird!

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 03:15:01 AM »
Black and White Stripes always look good on a Spitfire.  ;) :aok

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 03:43:11 AM »
I'm loving that.     

well done jocko!
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 05:21:10 AM »
Nice find on that scheme Jocko, beautiful skin too.

Offline jocko-

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 12:23:54 PM »
Guppy, you're right.  A simple 5 second search of the Spit serial number database would have told me the same thing.  I see that this one was with 331 (coded FN-D) at the time, not 332.  This means that the profile I worked from was <gasp> WRONG!  What's most embarrassing is that I know better than this, I just questioned a VVS Spit profile in another thread!  The profiles in question are part of this article from an IPMS chapter website:

http://www.ipmsgreatplains.org/OperationStarkey.aspx

Now, the photos I used for reference come from 2nd Tactical Air Force Volume One (pub. 2004), it has a three page spread on Starkey with pics of a 64 Sqn Spit, a 263 Sqn Whirlwind and some 88 Sqn Boston IIIAs in Starkey markings.  Also shown are the original reference drawings for marking application for both single and twin engined aircraft, provided by the Imperial War Museum, so I'm confident that the Starkey markings in my skin are correct, it's just too bad the airplane wearing them isn't  :mad:  So how did I get led down the path?  Why don't we take a hard look at these profiles now.

In the profiles, only the underside of the Whirlwind shows the 'correct' Starkey marking (that particular Whirlwind has been misidentified for years as a Dieppe raid aircraft), the other profiles don't have black wingtips.  The Boston (usually misidentified as a D-Day aircraft) is from one of the photos and the serial/codes match the profile.  The profile Boston's wing markings are wrong, the Boston photos clearly show the black portions of the marking (including the wingtip) reflecting hardly any light compared to the inboard section of the wing.  The nose marking is correct, backed up by photos.

The photo of the Whirlwind and the photo of the Spit are taken from the front quarter (probably to show the stripes), and confirm that under wing roundels were obliterated by the stripes, the author assumes the upper roundels were also painted over.  The reference drawings from the IWM show stripes covering the wings to about halfway to the root from the tip so any roundels would be totally covered.  The intent is clear to me but without photos of the upper surfaces obviously I can't be 100% certain that there weren't variations. 

As for the Spits?

LFVb W3320 was with 64 Sqn and was coded SH-L.  The photo I have identifies it only as a 64 Sqn aircraft, the original pic may have been larger and the serial may have been easier to see.  The pic I have is too small.  I had originally intended to skin this one but decided not to because of the clipped wingtips.  HTC accepted my 401 RCAF skin which was in RL a clipped wing Vb so maybe I should do this one instead (but of course now I'm questioning everything  :)).

HFVII MB820 was never an option to skin as it's a MK VII.  It was with 124 Sqn and coded ON-E, but I can't find any reference to the wingman's aircraft as mentioned in the profile caption.

So based on the above I originally decided to do the Mk IX.  Why didn't the warning bells go off when I found myself looking at a Mk IX profile with a serial in the AB range?  Don't know.  As it stands, the aircraft (according to serial) was converted from a Vc, so it's acceptable.  But it's a moot point because the profile artist either got the squadron wrong or the serial wrong because the codes don't match the serial.  Either way, I should have researched all the aircraft in the profiles to calibrate the BS meter first before picking out the Mk IX.  This one's shelved until I get better references.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 12:37:51 PM by jocko- »
417jocko
XO
351st FS, 353rd FG
"Slybirds!"

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2008, 12:53:49 PM »
Jocko, we've got a Spit VII skinned on a VIII from 131 squadron.  Kev got the OK to do that one way back when and it's a nice looking scheme different then the standard day camo.

Might want to consider doing the VII with the Starky markings?
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline jocko-

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2008, 03:02:55 PM »
Hehe, funny you mention it...

Not for the Starkey marking per se, just happens to be the next template I'm working on (seem to be doing them in the same order the real ones appeared  ;)).  Thought I'd actually do some day fighter VIIIs from the 'Southern Front' - 417 RCAF, 43 RAF, etc.  Obviously a long way to go yet.

Hedley Everard's AN-U, Italy, pretty famous pic.

43 RAF Spit VIII, southern coast of France.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 03:05:05 PM by jocko- »
417jocko
XO
351st FS, 353rd FG
"Slybirds!"

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2008, 03:33:42 PM »
Jacko, the one thing we're missing is a good Spit VIII skin with standard day camo like the MTO birds.  The bottom one from 43 squadron is one I've wanted to have in game for a long time.  Right now you can't get a flight of a Spit 8, 9 and 16 up in similar colors.

Looking forward to seeing your VIIIs :)

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Kazan_HB

• Skinner Team
  • Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2008, 07:18:02 PM »
I wanted to do this Norwegian skin :)
Nice job Joko  :aok u have Spitfires manufactory...
The Few
Since Tour 93

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2008, 02:24:45 AM »
Jocko,

I was looking for something completely different on my old computer and came across this image.  I have no idea where I got it, but it was in my Spit stuff.  Obviously a clipped Vb but it's a Starky marked bird with the wing markings as you have on your IX.

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline jocko-

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2008, 02:43:44 AM »
Yes, that's the same image from the write-up in the 2TAF book. The caption identifies it as a 64 squadron Spit.
417jocko
XO
351st FS, 353rd FG
"Slybirds!"