Author Topic: Anti-Aliasing  (Read 1503 times)

Offline Mak333

• Nickel Member
Anti-Aliasing
« on: October 08, 2008, 07:22:12 PM »
Is Anti-Aliasing on its way into AHII anytime soon?

Would it be a hindrance at all?
Mak

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
Re: Anti-Aliasing
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 07:26:35 PM »
Unless I'm missing something, you can already set up full screen anti-aliasing in your windows display properties and AH will use it.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 07:27:21 PM »
You have to force it on with your video card. I highly suggest you do, makes the game look much better.
And yes, it drops your framerates.

Offline Mak333

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 07:40:09 PM »
Duh! I knew you could force AA through the video settings in Windows but I just never thought of that!  Thanks!

I've been running 1680x1050 with everything on high without AA on dual 8800GTS 640s!  What was I thinking!
Mak

Offline Engine

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 08:40:53 PM »
I started AH after formatting and reinstalling XP on a separate hard drive (it works right off the bat, no AH reinstall needed! Love it!), and I couldn't believe how ugly it looked without AA on.

Offline Mak333

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 10:08:49 PM »
I started AH after formatting and reinstalling XP on a separate hard drive (it works right off the bat, no AH reinstall needed! Love it!), and I couldn't believe how ugly it looked without AA on.

Thats what I just figured out after looking at someone's screenshot of the winging P38s... Then I started wondering how the pictures looked that good.  AA - Duh!  :P
Mak

Offline Rondar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 10:39:08 PM »
Ok I admit I dont know.... what is this anti aliasing you guys speaketh of?
To understand true love, lock your dog and your wife in the trunk of your car for an hour and then see which one is glad to see you when you come back

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 10:41:41 PM »
Smooths out edges. Gets rid of the 'stair step' look you see on the edges of your canopy frames, and pretty much everything else.

ex.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 10:45:19 PM by Motherland »

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 12:30:58 AM »
4 x should do it i've tried every imaginable setting that my card will allow and 4x looks just as good as 16x from my eyes.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Mak333

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2008, 08:56:28 AM »
Is Anti strophic filtering going to do anything if I enable that?  Or is it not supported at all within Aces High II?
Mak

Offline JimBeam

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2008, 09:12:51 AM »

me neither i would like to know more on how i could get that is it in the video card settings or what?
JimBeam 367th "Dynamite Gang"

"In my experience JimBeam never goes down easy" -wil3ur

Pilots...looking down on people since 1903

Offline Mak333

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2008, 10:13:04 AM »
me neither i would like to know more on how i could get that is it in the video card settings or what?

It could possibly decrease performance to a high degree.  If you are already having frame rate issues, I wouldn't recommend it, or at least going passed 2x.  Right click your desktop and hit "Display Properties."  Go to the last tab and click "Advanced."  Once you are in "Advanced," find your settings for your video card that list Anti Aliasing, Anti strophic filtering, vertical sync and other stuff.  You should be able to override the settings for the Aces High II application or for all applications. 
Mak

Offline Yippee38

• Copper Member
      • http://www.cutthroats.com
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2008, 10:37:47 AM »
I took a couple in game screenshots to give you a better idea of what AA does for you in game.  These are taken at 1280x960.  This one is with AA set to 8xS:

This one is with AA off:

You can really see the difference on the canopy, the edges of the runway, and the Quonset huts, but it is really noticeable on stuff like the radar tower to the right.

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Inc. Aces High
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2008, 10:39:36 AM »
Just make sure you don't turn on transparency anti-aliasing (nvidia cards)......that's a frame rate killer

It's called adaptive anti-aliasing on the ati cards.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 10:41:32 AM by Waffle »

Offline JimBeam

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2008, 10:41:10 AM »
It could possibly decrease performance to a high degree.  If you are already having frame rate issues, I wouldn't recommend it, or at least going passed 2x.  Right click your desktop and hit "Display Properties."  Go to the last tab and click "Advanced."  Once you are in "Advanced," find your settings for your video card that list Anti Aliasing, Anti strophic filtering, vertical sync and other stuff.  You should be able to override the settings for the Aces High II application or for all applications. 

i run 70fps in a furball right now how much of a decrease in performance could AA have
JimBeam 367th "Dynamite Gang"

"In my experience JimBeam never goes down easy" -wil3ur

Pilots...looking down on people since 1903