Author Topic: Dec 7th  (Read 838 times)

Offline Wyld45

• Copper Member
      • AH2 Rough Rider Bugler
Dec 7th
« on: October 09, 2008, 01:39:38 AM »

Dont remember what went on last year,but perhaps a really
                   nice "Memorial" event for 2008?

RRWyld45  1138th "Rough Riders" Bomber Wing

Offline Selino631

• Silver Member
Re: Dec 7th
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 12:48:38 PM »
could have used a real picture.  Anyways, My grandfather is a Pearl Harbor survivor. was a Lt. JG in the U.S. Navy. He served aboard the USS Detroit which was a crusier. the morning of December 7th he was in a patrol boat picking up officers at a dock. He said that he heard aircraft coming in but they had a werid engine sound. when he looked up he saw red circles and then they started panicing, they radioed in "Japs!!! Low Japanese aircaft inbound!!" 3 of the officers they picked up orderd them to take them to there ship, the USS Nevada. when they got about 10min out of the nevada a low Japanese fighter (not sure what type, he says) strafed there boat the sailor directly infront of him got his head ripped up. some bullets got in the fuel tank and caused the boat to be launched 5 feet in the air throwing him and the crew off into the water. the 3 officers were able to swim to the Nevada. He decided to report to the Detroit. he swam to Ford Island, along the way when fighters would come in a strafe the sailors in the water they would have to dive down and grab the pipeline that ran along the bottom of the harbor. once he made it across the island he boarded the detroit and manned his battle station.
OEF 11-12

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 12:53:01 PM »
Would be nice! I'm not sure if Dux finished his Pearl terrain yet. Last year they halted the scenario because the terrain wasn't finished.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline crazyivan

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 06:12:12 PM »
That would be cool. Looked for it last year, but nothing. Count me in and  :salute to your grandfather Selino.
POTW
"Atleast I have chicken!"- Leroy Jenkins

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 07:21:45 PM »
My G'pa landed a few B24's and B17's right next door (Hickam) while ferrying the bombers from the US mainland and stayed at the Royal Hawaiin Hotel.  He made reference to all the clutter that was still being cleaned up almost a year later.  He took part many bombing raids up and down the "slot" against Japanese shipping and airfields, but spoke mostly of the multiple runs during the Bougainville campaign.   

I'd be honored just to partake in a flyover while in formation, map of Pearl Harbor or no map of Pearl Harbor.  What would be real cool is to be able to do it at the precise time the attack bagan and maybe do another pass the opposite direction at the time the last Japanese plane departed. 

Obviously, I think we could do something with both US and Japanese planes present to help signify the strong ties our two countries have today.  Some P39, P40, F4F, SBD, B17, A6M2, B5N, and D3Y flying in mixed formations would look as awesome as anything.   
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Dux

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 07:59:00 PM »
Would be nice! I'm not sure if Dux finished his Pearl terrain yet. Last year they halted the scenario because the terrain wasn't finished.

Sorry... not yet. It's been on a back burner since one of the updates made it stop working. I need to rebuild it from the bottom up... which I still intend to do... someday. :(
Rogue Squadron, CO
5th AF, FSO Squadron, Member

We all have a blind date with Destiny... and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.

Offline SuBWaYCH

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 09:00:32 PM »

Dont remember what went on last year,but perhaps a really
                   nice "Memorial" event for 2008?

(Image removed from quote.)

Me and ROC have something in the works to be ran on sunday night, December 7th.

Will post more details when I have them  :)
Axis C.O. for Battle of the Dnieper, Winter '43

Air superiority is a condition for all operations, at sea, on land, and in the air. - Air Marshal Arthur Tedder

364th Chawks

Offline Wyld45

• Copper Member
      • AH2 Rough Rider Bugler
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 11:47:30 PM »
could have used a real picture. 

Your right Selino,...just kinda spoiled with the "in-color" generation.  :D 

...and hey, nice job on the map!  :aok  and my big salutes to your Grandfather.

:salute  :salute  :salute  :salute

Those of you that still mess with "Warbirds",I used the "Phillipines" map
                  to create my own version. A little naked without the Big-Daddy Battleships,
                  but it works. Also threw in the "Hans Zimmerman" theme on my iTunes,
                  (on replay,lol) not too bad a scenario.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 12:02:09 AM by Wyld45 »
RRWyld45  1138th "Rough Riders" Bomber Wing

Offline palef

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2008, 12:43:37 AM »
I love how you guys celebrate the birthday I share with Kirk Douglas.
Retired

Offline theNewB

• Copper Member
      • http://www.greatergermany.net
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2008, 09:41:17 AM »
Ya, my B-day is Dec.7th 85 so no need to remember pearl for me, kinda in my blood  ;) tobad i wasnt born in 81. I thought kirk was born on dec.9th 1916?

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2008, 12:17:56 PM »
Sorry... not yet. It's been on a back burner since one of the updates made it stop working. I need to rebuild it from the bottom up... which I still intend to do... someday. :(
That has got to be frustrating! Every time you think you have it set, BANG! Something throws it out of whack.

Well, now it's waiting for the new TE. :rolleyes:
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.