Author Topic: Question for you computer nerd type people  (Read 231 times)

Offline C(Sea)Bass

• Silver Member
Question for you computer nerd type people
« on: October 13, 2008, 06:06:43 AM »
The 5 computers in my house all have the same problem right now. If left alone (off or on) and unused for more than 20 minutes they no longer are able to connect to the interenet and I have to unplug my modem and router for 3 minutes to get internet working again. It does the same thing to the computers using wireless as well as the ones using a network cable.
The weird part is the icon on the taskbar will show that the computer is connected, and AH will run just fine. But when I enter an adress in Internet Explorer or Firefox, it says unable to connect to page. This morning it got weirder.I was unable to get onto IE so I logged into AH. When I logged out I was able to use IE, but only on the computer I was playing AH on.

Anyone have any suggestions or ideas?

Offline SD67

• Gold Member
Re: Question for you computer nerd type people
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 06:18:57 AM »
do you have separate modem/router or an all in one unit?
9GIAP VVS RKKA
You're under arrest for violation of the Government knows best act!
Fabricati diem, punc
Absinthe makes the Tart grow fonder

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 06:21:43 AM »
Are they set for to go into stand-by or hibernate after 20? I'm thinking that's a default number
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Gaidin

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 06:24:56 AM »
Sounds like they are going into sleep/hibernate mode and losing DNS information for some reason.  AH uses an IP address for connection, so there is no need for DNS.  WWW.GOOGLE.COM requires DNS help.

check the power settings and make sure they are not set to go to sleep or hibernate.  Its best to have everything set to never except the Monitor.  Just have it turn off the monitor after a certain time frame.
Death is but a doorway to life, only those who fear life fear its opening.

Ingame: 68Gaidin

Proud Member of the CM Team
FSO - Admin

Offline Phaser11

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 10:40:32 AM »
Bass,
 Your router is having DHCP problems. This is the protocol that controls handing out and control of the IP address your systems use. Where it dose not sound like it is the lease handling of the address, but the control after word. Look at your router and check the lease time for the DHCP address (this is how long a computer can keep an address). If you find nothing out of the norm there, there should be a hard reset button somewhere on the router that you might have to use a ink pin to push. After the hard reset see if you keep having the same problem let me know and we'll try something else.

Phaser
Phaser11,

"Long time we no get drunk together nathen"
"Silence! I kill you"