Author Topic: Oh and Speaking of Comcast. FCC sides with the NFL  (Read 266 times)

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Oh and Speaking of Comcast. FCC sides with the NFL
« on: October 13, 2008, 07:29:08 AM »
Read about this a few days ago
Thought some might be interested

FCC goes with NFL Network against Comcast

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20081013-fcc-goes-with-nfl-network-against-comcast.html

"The Federal Communications Commission weighed in on the bitter battle between the NFL Network and Comcast on Friday night. The agency says that it finds convincing charges that Comcast fouled NFLN by refusing to carry it on its most popular tier. The Commission also sympathizes with evidence suggesting that Comcast demanded a financial interest NFL Network programming in exchange for carriage, another violation of the agency's rules. "
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Re: Oh and Speaking of Comcast. FCC sides with the NFL
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 12:15:35 PM »
taking over information services seems to be the next step .. I mean once they control banks, businesses and health care .. what's next

I think comcrap should be able to market their products whatever way they seem fit. no one is twisting anyone's arm here, except the gov ..  as usual
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 12:56:32 PM »
Good ruling.
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 02:12:42 PM »
Good ruling.

why?

should a company not set the price for their own product/services or should big brother?

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 03:04:45 PM »
Eagler, that's what NFLN is saying. Comcast wants a cut of NFLN.
The FCC says that the NFL Network has made a prima facie case against Comcast. The Commission found that NFLN has presented "sufficient evidence" that Comcast "indirectly and improperly demanded a financial interest in the NFL’s programming in exchange for carriage." The controversy centers around Comcast's alleged efforts to acquire licensing rights to the NFL Network's Eight-Game package for Comcast's Versus network. Comcast insists that the bid did not represent a demand for equity in the NFLN enterprise.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 03:13:14 PM »
this is what I see:

"The sports programmer has asked the FCC to fix the problem by ordering Comcast to run the service alongside the cable giants' own expanded basic tier sports channels, prominent among them Versus and the Golf Channel. Comcast has countercharged that the NFLN doesn't need access to the MVPD's basic tier to compete, and that it puts the show on a more expensive tier because the network asks for higher access prices than other sports video services."

"Despite its vastly smaller slate of live-event programming, NFLN charges cable operators license fees that are more than twice the fees charged by either the Golf Channel or Versus," Comcast told the FCC in June. "Comcast's decision not to saddle most of its customers with the high costs of the limited-appeal NFLN is eminently reasonable."

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 09:46:42 PM »
I believe their ratings for NFLN are greater as well. I'm not defending either side. Just saying NFLN has a case.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.