Author Topic: Wow....  (Read 3878 times)

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
Re: Wow....
« Reply #105 on: October 19, 2008, 03:42:44 AM »
Yea, I've noticed as this became public knowledge, a lot of score potatos formerly in Spits, Nikis, and Lgay7s are now always in an F4U variant.

Yes, clearly, 1V1 there isn't a better plane than the f4u's
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
« Reply #106 on: October 19, 2008, 04:30:26 AM »
You only need to pop into the DA to see how popular the f4u-C is, I would hate to see how the MA would look if it ever became unperked.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 04:42:32 AM by thrila »
"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #107 on: October 19, 2008, 12:21:30 PM »
This isn't going to be encouraging, but gunnery is one skill that is 90% innate aptitude and only about 10% learned/experience. After five years you have definitely learned/experienced practically every shot there is if you spend most of your time fightering. If your gunnery still blows it's just an innate limitation. I honestly can't think of one person I've known after 18+ years of this who had poor gunnery after a few years and became a good shot later. The time-frame varies by the individual and playtime, but for the most part after a year or two your gunnery is as good as it's going to get most likely.

I encourage you to pass along some films of yourself in a wide array of shooting positions to an AH trainer and see if they notice something fundamental you are doing wrong.

i totally know what you are saying, i have looked at my films,(not that I'm a trainer) my rounds are always dropping behind my target, its not like i never hit but my hit% is 4 i think now, and the most i have gotten up to is 5% and to me that suks, but i have flown against the hourde since my beginning days in AH, and my best sortie was 7 kills of the 9 that where attacking me, now i know there are not many that could do that.
  i have heard that your ether a shot or a stick, i guess I'm a stick, and I'm pretty much happy with that.
 allthough i will say this sometimes it seems like i cant miss,but those are rare days.

and i do agree with you about the innate part of gunnery

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #108 on: October 19, 2008, 03:49:51 PM »
gunnery is one skill that is 90% innate aptitude and only about 10% learned/experience.

Gunnery just takes practice like everything else, though imho it's helped greatly by sticking with one particular fighter. I find that my gunnery in the Yak U is now average after spending so much time in the Yak T with it's 37mm. Constantly switch between different fighters/gun platforms and your gunnery will sufer each time for it.

Also using tracers makes you lazy imho, as you never take the time to practice and learn to time shots, instead taking the easy option by just holding down the trigger, making adjustments and letting the con fly into the hail.

Turn tracers off,convergence under 200 and as your gunnery (especially timing) improves extend the ranges and increase the angles/speeds, after a short while you'll successfully be pulling off more and more extreme shots while making fatal hits with shorter bursts.

And if you really want a challange try the Yak 9T   :D

<S>...-Gixer
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 04:00:12 PM by Gixer »

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #109 on: October 19, 2008, 04:58:18 PM »
You only need to pop into the DA to see how popular the f4u-C is, I would hate to see how the MA would look if it ever became unperked.

Come on, Thrila....you've been around long enuff to remember what the MA looked like when the Chog wasn't perked. :)
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #110 on: October 20, 2008, 07:12:43 PM »
I don't have a problem with you Chalenge, don't take this the wrong way, but there are two times when I really gotta chuckle at my own team-mates. Sometimes I'll even poke a bit of gentle fun on range about it... ;)

1. When I'm with the defenders, there is a horde of us in Spits, Las, etc, you name it, and there is one bandit overhead. And guys get all worked up because he won't slow down and get involved with trying to furball with all gazillion of us.   :lol

2. When there is a large group of us attacking the base, we have numbers, we have energy, and there are like one or two defenders. And then the friendly horde grows wrathful because these two poor bandits who just took off, with every disadvantage EXCEPT their ack are using that advantage.  :rofl

Flying in and out of your own ack in a Hurri is not BnZ and its not really killing when the ack shoots people down. Nice try though.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 07:14:25 PM by BnZ »