Author Topic: Scoring System  (Read 5694 times)

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
Re: Scoring System
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2008, 07:58:33 PM »
If you fly timidly all the time the stats will never normalize to your skill. This is how score potatos fly and this is why they are disliked. That's why score means nothing.

What about kills per time?
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2008, 08:01:04 PM »
Crap, pure crap.
Ok... the people who have a good K/D generally fly timidly. There are obvious exceptions.
I'm not sure how this works, but I've seen people such as Dextur and others who are notorious for being timid and skilless amass very high KpH.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2008, 08:01:30 PM »
The stats can only normalize to the way you usually fly. If you fly timidly all the time the stats will never normalize to your skill. This is how score potatos fly and this is why they are disliked. That's why score means nothing.

The objective of the game should be to stay alive, while helping your country, and landing kills after the first two are achieved.  You can't criticize this system because it doesn't fix the 'flying smart' problem that you state.  Flying smart isn't a problem, it's just the way you should fly!  There is a dueling arena for a reason and if people want to furball and not worry about death then that is the place to be.  Regardless of your philosophy on this subject, you have to agree that in the current system, score means a great deal more of nothing than my system.

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2008, 08:03:12 PM »
Ok... the people who have a good K/D generally fly timidly. There are obvious exceptions.

Fair enough.

but I've seen people such as Dextur and others who are notorious for being timid and skilless amass very high KpH.
  Dextur vulches a second account.

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2008, 08:06:01 PM »

Yup, anyone who thinks flying extremely timidly is good for fighter rank has no clue wtf they are talking about. K/D reaches its point of diminishing returns at about 5:1, anything more than 10:1 is just for personal amusement and has ZERO positive effect on your overall fighter rank. However, the more timidly you fly the worse your K/T, which is an extremely competitive sub-stat, it almost never reaches the point of diminishing returns, all the way up to 15-20+ Kills/Hour. So, flying timidly is actually a guarenteed way to totally screw your fighter rank.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 08:08:42 PM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2008, 08:08:19 PM »
My problem with K/T is that it encourages people to bail out when they run out of ammo or fuel, rather then return to base. 

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2008, 08:09:47 PM »
You must not understand the system very well Snailman. 
That's a sin and a half to say.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2008, 08:10:05 PM »
My problem with K/T is that it encourages people to bail out when they run out of ammo or fuel, rather then return to base. 

Yup, so long as you have a 5:1'ish K/D you are better off bailing than wasting time RTB'ing, K/T is gold for fighter rank. So, if you can kill 5 per hop on average, you actually never have to land at all, much less fly timidly, to have a fabulous fighter rank. If you want to look good on paper just hit the silk as soon as you squeeze off your last round.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 08:23:20 PM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2008, 08:10:27 PM »

Good point.  another reason why Grizz can say weighting points would make fighter rank less moot. You get more points for landing kills than not.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2008, 08:10:32 PM »
That's a sin and a half to say.

I was referring to my proposed system, not the actual system.

Offline xbrit

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2008, 08:41:24 PM »
In the end no matter how you're scored, score will never mean anything to the majority of the community. Don't worry about it and just have fun.

All your quote above shows is that the way the system for scoring used now "will never mean anything to the majority of the communtiy". This is why Grizz actually tried to think of something to improve it rather than just sit back and take your attitude of "yeah it's broke but why fix it".
Oh BTW Grizz may have only registered on the BBS this month but he's been around for many years here and in AW before this.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 08:43:09 PM by xbrit »

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2008, 08:46:57 PM »
You still have to fly timidly to get a good K/D and K/S.

No you don't.  The ones that are a mark of a true timid warrior are those with high K/D with a low K/S and low Kills per Hour along with a high hit %.  Those are your pickers and vulchers.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2008, 08:47:59 PM »
I've seen people such as Dextur and others who are notorious for being timid and skilless amass very high KpH.

Vulching will do that.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline xbrit

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2008, 08:59:55 PM »

ack-ack  <-----dweeb

Well said !!!<G>

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2008, 09:02:43 PM »
All your quote above shows is that the way the system for scoring used now "will never mean anything to the majority of the communtiy". This is why Grizz actually tried to think of something to improve it rather than just sit back and take your attitude of "yeah it's broke but why fix it".
Oh BTW Grizz may have only registered on the BBS this month but he's been around for many years here and in AW before this.

Yes xbrit, I am very confident my idea would vastly improve the scoring system to the point of respectability.  It's easy to sit back and grumble about scoring and give up on it but I feel I took the time to think of a simple way to fix it.