Author Topic: Scoring System  (Read 5703 times)

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Re: Scoring System
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2008, 11:15:47 PM »
From here the thread will degrade into a bragging festival.   :rofl
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2008, 11:18:50 PM »
Yeah, I guess I should add that it doesn't really mean anything. :P
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2008, 11:19:37 PM »
Anax, I don't have a problem with you, but don't kid a kidder. :D The Kurt may be ENY 20 for some inexplicable reason, but we know that it is for all intents and purposes superior to some ENY 15, 10, 8, even 5 planes. ;)

OTOH, well done on having 31 in the A5.  :aok
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 11:22:13 PM by BnZ »

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2008, 11:21:08 PM »
Anax, I don't have a problem with you, but don't kid a kidder. The Kurt may be ENY 20 for some inexplicable reason, but we know that it is for all intents and purposes superior to some ENY 15, 10, 8, even 5 planes.

It's to compensate for the aircraft that deserve a perk price but don't have one. :D
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2008, 11:22:54 PM »
I have no doubt he can wield a stick, I know Bubi, I've also watched you. You are a very well rounded MA flyer. You're judgement of when to press the attack and when to consolidate your position and E is impeccable. That makes all the difference in the MA, where timing and balancing aggression and wisdom is the trick to effectiveness...

Thanx for the compliment! :salute
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2008, 11:39:03 PM »
Yeah, I guess I should add that it doesn't really mean anything. :P

Fighter rank can mean nothing because it can be consciously manipulated. But, the sub-stats themselves can mean something. Of course they can also be manipulated, but we all know the cast of characters that does that, so they aren't fooling anyone.

Let's be honest here, say you've just had a great run, you have 9 kills in your pelt pouch and you're hoping to bring them home. But, of course there's 3 guys hot on your heels looking for a revenge kill. You're out of ammo and they're closing. You have a choice of two players to come help you, tell me which one you have faith can possibly save your ass...

Player #1

AverageJoe

K/D 0.34
K/S 0.45
K/H 1.67
Hit % 3.74%

Or..

Player #2

AirStud

K/D 7.89
K/S 2.39
K/H 8.165
Hit % 10.87%

You can say that means nothing, but that's a load of horse-crap and anyone who tries to tell you differently is either high as a monkey or trying to sell you something. I want Airstud to come save my bacon, AverageJoe needs to get a beer and go back to the TA.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 11:57:05 PM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2008, 11:41:07 PM »
Airstud vulched me earlier!
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2008, 11:48:19 PM »
Yeah, all the people who talk big on 200 say airstud is a picker.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2008, 12:25:13 AM »
No you don't.  The ones that are a mark of a true timid warrior are those with high K/D with a low K/S and low Kills per Hour along with a high hit %.  Those are your pickers and vulchers.

ack-ack

Absolute total BS.  Here's my current stats and I am not a vulcher.  I don't have a vulch yet this camp and I don't fly timidly or run from fights.  I fly in the less populated areas of the map,  I do hunt buffs whenever possible and I always fly home to land my kills.

Late War Tour 105 Fighter Scores for BaldEagl
 Score   Rank   
Kills per Death + 1 5.25 103
Kills per Sortie 1.50 258
Kills per Hour of Flight 4.07 1430
Kills Hit Percentage 12.91 82
Kill Points 15871.86 219

That's on 42 sorties (15:30 hours).

As to the idea posted, I'd say no.  It's too much like the days of AW where those who could spend all day playing were the highest ranked.  It would give the few hours a week guys no chance whatsoever of gaining any sort of rank.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 12:30:45 AM by BaldEagl »
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2008, 12:31:22 AM »
Absolute total BS.  Here's my current stats and I am not a vulcher.  I don't have a vulch yet this camp and I don't fly timidly or run from fights.  I fly in the less populated areas of the map,  I do hunt buffs whenever possible and I always fly home to land my kills.

Late War Tour 105 Fighter Scores for BaldEagl
 Score   Rank   
Kills per Death + 1 5.25 103
Kills per Sortie 1.50 258
Kills per Hour of Flight 4.07 1430
Kills Hit Percentage 12.91 82
Kill Points 15871.86 219

As to the idea posted, I'd say no.  It's too much like the days of AW where those who could spend all day playing were the highest ranked.  It would give the few hours a week guys no chance whatsoever of gaining any sort of rank.

Well, I noticed the few times I've seen you that you tend to fly pretty high. This takes time and will reduce K/T.. generally speaking.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2008, 12:45:02 AM »
Its not impossible to get good hit scores shooting at fighters in the air. A larger majority of fliers in AH dont know how to avoid a BNZ fighter.

If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2008, 12:50:18 AM »
Lol, this thread has totally degraded to jungle law.  Let me try and steer it back on course... Snailman and LYNX made reasonable points that with a 50% Weight on Points, it will penalize pilots that don't have time to score and reward pilots who have too much time on their hands.  It is a reasonable gripe but let me counter with this point...Firstly Points would only be worth 50%, so if a dweeb is scoring all sorts of points, he probably has bad ratios and won't rank as high as you think.  Secondly, shouldn't rank be determined by a combination of Skill AND Determination?  You should be able to improve your rank by logging more hours and the #1 Fighter and/or Overall Ranker should be someone who has committed themselves to the campaign.  Rank should be valued as a combination of skill and time commitment/determination.  Once again I'll state, I feel my new scoring system takes care of these aforementioned aspects.

P.S. Can we stop talking about each other's stats and start discussing my proposal again?  Someone start a "I pwn you all" thread if you want to talk about who has the best stats.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2008, 01:07:48 AM »

In AW, points were 100% of the scoring formula, in mine they would only be 50%.  What's more fair, a guy who logs a lot of hours, scores a lot of points, while keeping his ratios high over hundreds of sorties... OR... a player who hand picks 15 missions a camp that he deems 'perfect conditions' for mass kill opportunities and dominates the fighter ranks?

I feel that strong pilots that log a few hours a week to play can still rank high in my system by putting up good stats still.  While they won't score as many points, they will still score a decent amount of points by flying 15-30 hours a campaign.  I would say ranking in the top 30-50 would not be unreasonable at all.

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2008, 01:08:37 AM »
Secondly, shouldn't rank be determined by a combination of Skill AND Determination? 

No. Primarily, because it is asinine to speak of "determination" in a video game.  :rofl

Rocky Marciano winning a fight with his nose split in two...THAT is an example of determination.

Hours logged in-game meanwhile, is a good measure of how few worthwhile or necessary things to do a person has in their life.  :devil

Plus, realistically speaking, life doesn't reward determination either. Any number of brave and determined fighter pilots probably went to their deaths on their first sortie, resulting in a net loss of machinery, training time expended, and manpower.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: October 17, 2008, 01:13:47 AM »
No. Primarily, because it is asinine to speak of "determination" in a video game.  :rofl

Rocky Marciano winning a fight with his nose split in two...THAT is an example of determination.

Hours logged in-game meanwhile, is a good measure of how few worthwhile or necessary things to do a person has in their life.  :devil

Plus, realistically speaking, life doesn't reward determination either. Any number of brave and determined fighter pilots probably went to their deaths on their first sortie, resulting in a net loss of machinery, training time expended, and manpower.

Clearly 'determination' is a bad word to describe what points embody.  But, Aces high measures 'determination' right now at 20% in Points.  So are you saying we should get rid of points all together?  I mean cmon, you are clearly just arguing for the sake of arguing.  The system in place is sick.  No offense to SHawk because I know he is a great pilot and under my scoring system I know he'd be a top ranker as well.  But, he is a master at gaming the system.  Any system that can be 'gamed' is no system at all.  Weighting points at 50% will eliminate this 'gaming' to a very high degree.

I feel like I am Galileo trying to explain to the masses that the earth isn't flat or something.  If no one cares though <shrug> we can just keep our horse crap scoring system and keep seeing the same names on the front page for the end of time and complaining about how score means nothing as an excuse to fly like a total fool.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 01:47:55 AM by grizz441 »