Author Topic: Spitfire, La & N1k Factories!  (Read 2110 times)

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
Spitfire, La & N1k Factories!
« on: October 17, 2008, 09:46:55 AM »
Im not sure if this has been brought up before or not and, frankly, since I'm at work, I'm not going to spend 30 minutes searching.  BUT, in the time Ive been here, I don't recall reading about it.

The idea came up in another forum and I'm surprised I don't see it once a week in here.

AW types know the drill, but for those who do not, the suggestion is as follows:

1.)  Place factories throughout the map that 'produce' high ENY planes or high use planes for each country.
2.)  If sufficiently bombed, the specific aircraft produced by that country's factory is disabled for a short amount of time.  Say, 15 minutes.

This accomplishes the following:

1.)  Gives buff drivers a real (as in 'actually important') strategic target.
2.)  Gives little guys a real excuse to get up and defend one.
3.)  Temporarily reduces the probability of encountering the same-old-same-old gaggle of La1K Mk16's.
4.)  Encourages newer players to expand their exposure beyond the point and click A/C, thereby increasing the skill level of the average player in a more rapid fashion.

The ability or inability to fly any specific A/C is within the control of the player base, it is not 'forced.'

What say you? 

Offline Race

• Copper Member
Re: Spitfire, La & N1k Factories!
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 10:02:20 AM »
Oh the whines.......wait....I love it!

Race
Reputation is to be earned not given.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 10:06:58 AM »
Even being a Spit dweeb I'd agree to it.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 10:13:09 AM »
Does there have to be a factory for every aircraft or is it just for the lowest ENY rides?
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Stampf

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 10:14:28 AM »
Haha!

A wonderful concept.  :aok
- Der Wander Zirkus -
- La Fabrica de Exitos -

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 10:24:10 AM »
Does there have to be a factory for every aircraft or is it just for the lowest ENY rides?

No, not for every plane, I'd expect.  HTC could set it up however they wished, of course, but I dont think they'd want to pepper the map with factories for each plane; the set is too big.  I also dont think that the spirit of the idea is to limit the use of the 202. 

If someone bombed the '202 factory,' no one would care.  However, if someone bombed the Spit 16 factory, I bet plenty would.  Low ENY A/C would be the aim, IMO.

Maybe just a couple factories per country, one producing Aircraft X and one producing Aircraft Y?  Whether or not you wish to include variants is open for debate, I suppose. 

I think its important to understand, though, that the spirit of the idea is not to limit the use of the Spit/La7/Nik/etc.  Thats a byproduct.  The spirit of the idea is to introduce a new aspect of gameplay that I think a lot of people would enjoy... and hell, if you can take out some of your frustration by poking fun of the Knights on 200 after bombing their Lavochkin factory, all the better.  :D

How long have buff drivers been asking for a 'real' strategic target that has a significant enough impact on gameplay to warrant spending 45 minutes in a bomber?

Here you go.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 10:30:39 AM by Saurdaukar »

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 10:30:41 AM »
Sounds like an interesting idea; make it even more so by not having the factory show up on the map...you have to fly around and find it yourself.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Wedge1126

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 10:42:53 AM »
Maybe instead of disabling a plane, you can add a perk cost to it.
Wedge

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 10:44:43 AM »
An interesting idea, the first question I would have would be.  Woudln't this make it harder for the less populated country to put up resistance?  

It would seem to me that the country that already enjoys a numerical advantage could remove the better performing planes and facilitate rolling up the map with lessened opposition.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008, 10:46:41 AM »
No, do not have a specific plane factory.

Have "aircraft production facilities" as one possible target, heavily defended in each country's hinterland behind the uncapturables. Have a sliding ENY/Perk system-the more you bomb aircraft production facilities, the higher the price goes on perk planes. Unperked high ENY planes would pick up a price.

Of course, this would require a few changes. First, the ENY would be updated. It is silly that a fighter like the 109 K-4 or Yak-9U is 20 ENY, while the Ta-152 is 5. Second, I would get rid of people being ENYed out of either perk planes or high ENY planes. Instead, as I alluded to, flying them would simply involve a perk cost. Third, and this is only tangentially related, but interesting, I would give practically every aircraft except the most basic models a light perk price. Of course, I would also give each AH player a stipend of 100 perks a tour so no one would be doomed to never flying an La-7 or a Spit16, no matter how inept at earning perks.

You could do similar things for say, fuel, ammo, or ord. Bomb enough production facilities for those into the ground, and taking off with a full load could cost perks.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2008, 10:56:33 AM »
I am all for any sort of relevant strat system! :aok
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2008, 11:30:01 AM »
An interesting idea, the first question I would have would be.  Woudln't this make it harder for the less populated country to put up resistance? 

It would seem to me that the country that already enjoys a numerical advantage could remove the better performing planes and facilitate rolling up the map with lessened opposition.

I think the simple answer to this question is yes, it would make it harder for the numerically disadvantaged country to put up resistance.  The caveat to that, however, is that the factory then becomes that much more important of a target to defend.

Assuming these hypothetical factories exist far behind the front line, any raid would probably be spotted well beforehand (not dissimilar from most HQ raids) and defenders could up with a reasonable probability of interception.

Thinking out loud... that would also probably result in player-created missions designed to hit a factory which, in turn, might even offer a fairly constant flow of nearly scenario-like, ETO-type engagements if a player were so inclined to participate.

Since its all player influenced, I dont think I'd recommend screwing around with ENY values or applying population calculations to something complicated like say... increasing the amount of ord required to take out a factory belonging to a lesser populated country.  KISS rule.

...could cost perks.

I'm wary of introducing perks into the equation.  I think it makes the whole thing more complex than it needs to be. 

Offline Connery

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2008, 11:39:59 AM »
why don't you throw in perk plane factories - perk gv factories, p51 factories and bomber factories... in fact why dont you remove every single plane/vehicles from the set and leave one of each meaning all fights are with the same aircraft....

**STOP PRESS**

If the above is what you want go buy a zx spectrum and buy top gun.
* Connery shakes head.

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2008, 11:45:55 AM »
Brilliant add a 109k plant and you have my vote.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 12:10:16 PM by Bronk »
See Rule #4

Offline dkff49

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2008, 11:53:21 AM »
I think this is a very good idea.

We could call it an R&D facility since most of the 5 eny rides are late war uber rides anyway and have it effect all 5 eny vehicles and planes.

I think that in respect to the question of overwhelming numbers though. The current ENY system becomes even more important to aid in the case where the side with numbers has a better chance of hitting the target due to having the numbers to pull away from fights to hit such a thing with little risk to losing their bases. Where the low number side has less people to work with and are less likely to have the people to spare for such things without taking away from defending against the already present hordes at bases.

The other thing I think would help is if the amount of damage it took to knock out the 5 eny rides was on a sliding scale with regards to numbers of players on each team, like the eny system is.

Just my thoughts
Haxxor has returned!!!!
Dave