Author Topic: Alacrity PC  (Read 3817 times)

Offline FLOTSOM

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr
Re: Alacrity PC
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2008, 05:10:25 PM »
Well just as an update to all involved in this issue.

i have found my problem, through trial  and error and by setting up multiple profiles and systematically running them one after the other. i found that because i use windows one care live for my protection program it automatically takes over my internet firewall.

one care live is a good generally non invasive protection program. it has never given me an issue working with other programs in the past, but what i did not realise was that by starting it up it was taking control of my internal firewall and controlling my link to the router. by turning off the firewall i would lose the encrypted connection with the router and could not recover it until the firewall was restarted. so i now leave on the firewall (which is simple to set up allowing any program i want to pass threw it), but shut off all the other supporting subplots of one care live. its a really good system and user friendly, i would suggest it to any of the non-computer guru's looking for a simpler less invasive anti-virus system.

Eagle, i did have separate hardware profiles set up on my computer, Black Viper is awesome! he is thorough and very simple in his description of all services running on all versions of windows. what i like most is that on his BBS if you have a question he will try to answer it personally. (he is alot like our Skuzzy here in that matter) using separate hardware profiles, in this instance, was exactly what was causing me all the grief. while setting alacrity up to match my gaming profile my rational was simple, these settings work great in the hardware profile, so it should work great here as well.

well as i mentioned above, once one care was allowed to start and shutting it of after (in the alacrity profile) i lost my router connection, but in the hard ware profile it is never allowed to start at all so the connection never gets encrypted, so i never lose the connection by shutting off the program controlling it.

so i spent hours chasing my tail! but due to the information gleamed in this thread and the support i found on Black Viper's BBS (by the way the informational support provided by alacrity is Black Vipers page) and a little trial and error i found a set up that works very well and transitions very smoothly without having to reboot my system to change to a profile and then to get out of it after.

so, many thanx to all of you!

<SALUTE>

FLOTSOM
FLOTSOM

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!
Quote from Skuzzy
"The game is designed to encourage combat, not hide from it."
http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2008, 05:45:53 PM »
The only problem with onecare is that it ranks to bottom 10% in all reliability tests I've seen.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2008, 06:16:51 PM »
If you see so much trouble getting absolute high-end hardware why you keep things like sidebar, task scheduler etc. installed on the computer in the first place? You should narrow the processes down to an absolute minimum.

First you recommed high-end hardware and then think its trouble to get it? I must not understand what you meant and I think you jump way to quick to the conclusion about what I must do. I think I am doing all I need to do and everything is just fine thanks! AlacrityPC does just what you suggest about processes when I need them to be turned off and otherwiseI like things like the sidebar so I use it sometimes as well as the task scheduler. Not always just as needed.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline FLOTSOM

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2008, 06:35:05 PM »
The only problem with onecare is that it ranks to bottom 10% in all reliability tests I've seen.

well i guess my responce to that is who is doing the testing?

one care is made by microsoft for microsoft software. it supported vista before vista was released and it is compatible without incident with every security update windows had put out and micrsoft has more labs and people working on security than any other company on the planet. if there is a new bug they know about it long before anyone else. it runs so lightly in the back ground that durring normal operations i have never seen it exceed 2% cpu.

durring my (personal setting) weekly tune up it updates, removes unecessary files (temp ect) defrags the hd, backs up the system and private files (per settings) scans for malicious software (addware, spyware ect) plus more. it does this in the most part completely in the back ground without inhibiting or interfering with anything that i am working on. i have even been playing AH while this was doing its thing with only minimal drop in frame rates and a couple of annoying pauses.

as a matter of fact, up until the update/patch of Aces High of earlier this year, i would just leave one care running in the background and play with no issues.

i have not yet developed a virus, spyware or addware infection while using one care. i have recently removed 2 spyware programs from my system, i believe i got them because i installed some online programs while one care was shut off. it was off because i had booted up useing my gaming profile, and like a moron was to impatient to reboot and i downloaded from untrusted sights anyways. so that is my stupidity not a failure of one care. i go on alot of sights (myspace ect) that are high risk for these types of corruptions without problem.

so in my case i give it a thumbs up for ease of use, ease of maintanance, great support if needed, and coverage. although it doesnt have a million setting and options like mcaphee or nortons, it is also not a program that, like those two afore mentioned, attempts to commandier and control every aspect of my computer and everything running on it. i have, with the above discussed firewall issue excluded, never had a conflict issue or a problem with it working with any program or game. i only shut it off now because of the updates made to aces high, not due to one care itself.

i guess in the end its an opinional issue, what one likes as compared to what another likes. like AMD or INTEL, beauty is in the eye of the user.

FLOTSOM
FLOTSOM

Quote from Skuzzy

Offline drdeathx

• Silver Member
      • [URL=http://s435.photobucket.com/albums/qq77/AAdeath/?action=view&current=woodland-critters-christmas-1024x76.jpg][IMG]http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq77/AAdeath/th_woodland-critters-christmas-1024x76.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2008, 12:42:00 AM »
enditall2 looks more user friendly if it gives same results. Been running it for years.
See Rule #6

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2008, 01:01:17 AM »

YADA YADA YADA

FLOTSOM

you talk to damm much.

Offline FLOTSOM

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2008, 01:34:10 AM »
enditall2 looks more user friendly if it gives same results. Been running it for years.

actually i have enditall also, its not easier to use.

when you use alacrity and you set up a profile and put a shortcut for it on your desk top, a double click and its running.

you can set up a profile for every program or group of programs you want there is no limit to the amount of individual profiles or the number of programs you start in each profile.

it ever gives you the ability to set up the starting order and priority of those programs

with enditall once you shut down a program it wont restart unless you go into services and restart it or reboot your comp, with alacrity once you end the program you set the profile to monitor it will take whatever action you preset for it. restart the services, programs whatever without a reboot.

it will start any number of programs you want running after it shuts everything else you set for it to shut down.

if you chose, once you stop the monitored program it started for you, it will automatically restart all of your services and programs that it shut off or it will only start some of them and leave others off or it will shut of the computer or just reboot it for you.

its actually really easy to set up, very user friendly, and puts end it all to shame.

you talk to damm much.

your just jealous cause i can use words that have more than one syllable and i can put more than 4 words into a sentence.

by the way, damm(?) is spelled either DAM or DAMN depending on its intended meaning. if you look at the bottom of the silver grey box your typing your babble into, you'll see a little box that has the letters Spell Check in it. now i know those are advanced words, and your vocabulary is very limited, but neither has more than one syllable so you should be able to figure out their meaning all on your own!

DORK!!!!!!

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl
FLOTSOM

Quote from Skuzzy

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2008, 01:37:33 AM »
actually i have enditall also, its not easier to use.

when you use alacrity and you set up a profile and put a shortcut for it on your desk top, a double click and its running.

you can set up a profile for every program or group of programs you want there is no limit to the amount of individual profiles or the number of programs you start in each profile.

it ever gives you the ability to set up the starting order and priority of those programs

with enditall once you shut down a program it wont restart unless you go into services and restart it or reboot your comp, with alacrity once you end the program you set the profile to monitor it will take whatever action you preset for it. restart the services, programs whatever without a reboot.

it will start any number of programs you want running after it shuts everything else you set for it to shut down.

if you chose, once you stop the monitored program it started for you, it will automatically restart all of your services and programs that it shut off or it will only start some of them and leave others off or it will shut of the computer or just reboot it for you.

its actually really easy to set up, very user friendly, and puts end it all to shame.

your just jealous cause i can use words that have more than one syllable and i can put more than 4 words into a sentence.

by the way, damm(?) is spelled either DAM or DAMN depending on its intended meaning. if you look at the bottom of the silver grey box your typing your babble into, you'll see a little box that has the letters Spell Check in it. now i know those are advanced words, and your vocabulary is very limited, but neither has more than one syllable so you should be able to figure out their meaning all on your own!

DORK!!!!!!

your too much, that spelled wronhg? quiblett?

ya your right i am much better with pictures than words <S>

Offline FLOTSOM

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2008, 01:39:33 AM »

your too much, that spelled wronhg? quiblett?

ya your right i am much better with pictures than words <S>

:rofl
 :rofl :rofl
 :rofl :rofl :rofl
 :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl
 :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

understand?

<S>
FLOTSOM

Quote from Skuzzy

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2008, 03:03:48 AM »

I wont use it and most of the people here should be using AlacrityPC instead since it is intended to return lost CPU cycles to games instead of processes. EIA2 may do the same thing but it is clumsy by comparison.

By the way since you have 'been using it for years' you should know that it has evolved into 'TaskPower 3' now. TP3 still isnt as easy to use or as streamlined as AlacrityPC is. I dont believe the authors vision of TP3 includes gaming.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2008, 12:43:14 PM »
First you recommed high-end hardware and then think its trouble to get it? I must not understand what you meant and I think you jump way to quick to the conclusion about what I must do. I think I am doing all I need to do and everything is just fine thanks! AlacrityPC does just what you suggest about processes when I need them to be turned off and otherwiseI like things like the sidebar so I use it sometimes as well as the task scheduler. Not always just as needed.

What's so hard to understand? I said if you see all the trouble of setting up a high end system (not least referring to the every last cpu cycle rant of yours) you shouldn't be running totally useless gadgets on the system in the first place. It's so simple to strip the system and you never need to run crity or craty again.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2008, 12:59:36 PM »
You must be referring to a daydream of your own. I dont have 'totally useless gadgets' but thanks for looking out for serious gamers.  :aok

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2008, 01:13:48 PM »
You must be referring to a daydream of your own. I dont have 'totally useless gadgets' but thanks for looking out for serious gamers.  :aok

Uhh.. sidebar.. task scheduler.. where are those needed again?  :aok

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2008, 01:17:58 PM »
Now now boys... It's time to...

Kiss and make up:

I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2008, 01:41:03 PM »
BaldEagl that is just what I was thinking! Come here Ripley and pucker up for me!  :D