Author Topic: Some little details I'd like to see  (Read 90 times)

ezrust

Some little details I'd like to see
« on: January 31, 2000, 11:40:00 PM »
Just from reading some WWII pilot stories... (thanks to WB and AH it's all I read now)

1.  Random instrument malfunction.  For no reason at all your altimeter craps out or, uh-oh no boost preasure guage, hey my magnetic compass isn't working.  It happened all the time... it would add an element of chance to the game and would happen realatively infrequently.

2.  Damaged instruments.  When you loose both your ailerons and your vertical stabilizer and your leaking oil, fuel, and coolant there is a good chance some of those instruments won't be functioning as well.

3.  Broken and oily windscreen.  This is already on a couple of posts but I can't tell you how many stories mention this hardship once the engine has taken some serious hits.  The windscreen was also quite often dirtied while flying through debris of a recent kill... the oil on the screen doesn't have to be yours for it to ruin your day!

4.  A more realistic bail out.  There should be several steps that take MANY seconds.  They had to unhook the oxygen, radio, and any electrical connections to suits, unstrap the harness, open and release the canopy (which many times refused to open due to damage) then turn the plane over and fall out or just jump out if there wasn't enough time.  Many times they were struck by the vertical stabilizer and killed or suffered some other mishap on the way out.  The tripple RETURN gets you out faster than a modern ejection seat.  How about CTRL-B then CTRL-ALT-A then CTRL-I then CTRL-ALT-L then RETURN 3 times, you know, something you have to work at!

Little details, I know, but they might make the game more immersive.  Personally, I would also like to see real engine management, fuel mixture, truly uncoordinated rudder, taxi procedures, no icons, etc.  I know what your thinking (with games like that, who needs work?) but I want it as realistic as possible.  Thats it.