Author Topic: Running AH  (Read 1004 times)

Offline Enker

• Silver Member
Running AH
« on: October 20, 2008, 05:10:32 PM »
Is it possible to run Aces High off of a large enough jump drive? That way, when I have to travel, or I get my own laptop, I won't have to put it on the hard drive. Also, any suggestions for small, portable joysticks?
InGame ID: Cairn
Quote from: BillyD topic=283300.msg3581799#msg3581799
... FOR TEH MUPPET$ TO PAD OUR SCO?E N to WIN TEH EPIC WAR OF TEH UNIVERSE We MUST VULTCHE DA RUNWAYZ N DROP UR GUYZ FIGHTERZ Bunkarz Then OUR SKWAD will Finarry Get TACTICAL NOOK for 25 KILL SCORE  STREAK>X

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: Running AH
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 05:15:10 PM »
I installed it on my work laptop. The insall is small and dosn't mess with the system like some software. At home I use a full CH products setup in an F4 simpit, on the road I use a Saitek AV8R-01. Even on a wireless signal in a hotel I do OK. Its not as nice as hat I have at home, but it "feeds the need"   :D

Offline Enker

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 06:12:48 PM »
Alright then, I'm gonna want to get a laptop soon
... FOR TEH MUPPET$ TO PAD OUR SCO?E N to WIN TEH EPIC WAR OF TEH UNIVERSE We MUST VULTCHE DA RUNWAYZ N DROP UR GUYZ FIGHTERZ Bunkarz Then OUR SKWAD will Finarry Get TACTICAL NOOK for 25 KILL SCORE  STREAK>X

Offline bobtom

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 09:15:40 PM »
I used to always play AH off of a 2 GB hard drive. Until we got a new computer....

Offline Enker

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 09:24:32 PM »
hmm, that makes sense. then I could play it on school comps. And on the subject of joysticks, I mean portable as in fitting inside a backpack.

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 10:44:22 PM »
Get a bigger backpack :)

[ I'll be quiet now. ]
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 09:22:33 AM »
There are afew wireless JS's available if you need,but a saitek cheapie should do,as fuze said,get a backpack to fit the JS... as for the jump drive,I see no reason it wont work,but I would have a backup 1 just to hold your settings folder.Can be a real pain setting up your views should you find a corupt file and have to reinstall!!

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 09:43:26 AM »
I copied my AH folder from my main HD to a usb thumbdrive and ran it straight from there while I was on vacation a couple of months ago.  Didn't need to install it or anything; just ran it.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline DustyR

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 10:06:54 AM »
I have several usb thumb drives one is an 8GB that should do nicely.  When I feel the need for speed  :P
Coal Country WV -- Home of the free ** because of the brave.

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 11:12:40 AM »
hmm, that makes sense. then I could play it on school comps.

Hehe, that reminds me of when I was in college.  We used to sneak into the CAD lab late at night when hardly anyone was there.  We would bring our own cables so that we could hook several of the machines together and play Falcon head to head.

This was about 1988-89, before the days of everyone having their own computer.  We had a blast, and never got caught "re-networking" the school's computers.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2008, 02:10:36 PM »
Alright then, I'm gonna want to get a laptop soon

If you're going to be gaming on it or doing any heavy duty graphics rendering on it, get one of those ventelation pads to put under it.  My friend when he first got a laptop wasted two of them by playing them in his lap or on his bed for hours without one.  I've heard from others that some even easily overheat while just playing it for a couple hours on their desk.  I think it's becoming standard practice for laptops that game or do other heavy duty graphics rendering to all have ventalation pads now so that they never have an overheating problem, but if not then look into it yourself, it's worth the investment.
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.