Author Topic: Compression Question  (Read 125 times)

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
Compression Question
« on: July 02, 2000, 02:09:00 AM »
Shouldnt there be SOME physical warning before compression begins?  Airframe shaking
or something?  Ive gone through some serious compression without even an audible hint of airframe stress before hand.

And when IN compression, shouldnt there be some shaking, vibrating or SOMETHING???

It just pops on like a switch was thrown.

Is this accurate?  I do not know?

Yeager
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline airspro

• Silver Member
      • My Blastoff start page :P
Compression Question
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2000, 02:43:00 AM »
I listen to the wind sound , plus keep carefull watch of TAS speed . There is a creaking sound too . U don't hear it ?

cheers , spro

------------------
air_rules = Play fair ....Don't worry about points......Keep a sense of humor......Drink Jim Beam......and don't let the fediddlein cat walk on the keyboard.......!!!http://www.airsquadron.com" TARGET=_blank>

[This message has been edited by airspro (edited 07-02-2000).]
My current Ace's High handle is spro

Offline CavemanJ

• Silver Member
Compression Question
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2000, 09:06:00 AM »
the creaking starts as you approach the structural limits of your airframe.  The P38 enters compression at 500mph, but won't start creaking until she gets to ~550mph
only way you have of knowing you are in compression is the sudden lack of response from the controls

And compression is different from dynamic pressure on the control surfaces make your controls very hard.  Do a search for some of Funked's posts, he wrote a couple of novellas on the difference between compression and dynamic pressure