Author Topic: RAF Mustang MkIA  (Read 2518 times)

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Re: RAF Mustang MkIA
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2008, 10:58:12 PM »
This would be the Allison bird, along with the early RAF Mustang I.  Phil Cochran in his bird from the 1st Air Commandos in the CBI.  It would look good alongside the 1 Air Commando B25H skin we have.

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2008, 12:01:38 AM »
ack-ack,

I was requesting the RAF Mustang MkIA. 150 were delivered which the RAF had 4 20mm cannons installed in the wings for ground attack. Below 15k in the MA it would probably be a monster and would need to be perked. The Army Air Force A36 Apache had 4 .50cal and 4 .30cal. The Hurri IIC had 4 20mm for ground attack. Would probably be the same amount of ammo in the Mustang MkIA. I'm just thinking of how neatly a MkIA would fit into how we play Air Quake.

I think the A-36 had 6 .50s, 4 on the wings and 2 on the nose, are you sure its 4 of each? :salute
No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2008, 12:44:44 AM »
I think the A-36 had 6 .50s, 4 on the wings and 2 on the nose, are you sure its 4 of each? :salute

I already answered that.  :salute
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2008, 01:42:28 AM »
Sorry but that statement is incorrect. The A-36 Apache had six .50 cal machine guns. Four in the wings and two in the chin.

The British Mustang Mk I had two .50s in the chin and two in the wings with four .30 cals in the wings also.

The Mustang IA had four 20mm cannon and 93 went to the British and 55 to the USAAF (two being held back for testing). The Americans outfitted three squadrons in total with the P-51 with the first combat sorties flown by the 154th OS as F-6As. These aircraft were the best choice because there was nothing that could catch them and their orders were to avoid combat (the film they carried was considered vital) but that didnt stop them from shooting Axis aircraft down.

You should also know that the A-36 was limited to carrying 500lb bombs. The deployment of the dive brakes induced 2 Gs on the airframe and yes it made dive bombing more accurate but it also made shooting the A-36 in a dive much easier (from AAA).

I would love to have brakes for fighting the 'helicopter' we have now (the F4U).

Ah, I see thanks sir! :salute

I already answered that.  :salute
No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2008, 02:36:03 AM »
There was an American flying duty with the RAF Tac/R Mustang squadrons who wished to be assigned to a Spitfire squadron (I guess the local touting of Spit pilot prestige sold him). When the Americans were bombed at Pearl the Mustangs became in short supply and the Tac/R squadrons offered him a P-38 so he went to the Americans who also offered him a P-38. He quit and joined the Navy to fly F4Fs.  :rofl
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2008, 12:39:42 AM »
There was an American flying duty with the RAF Tac/R Mustang squadrons who wished to be assigned to a Spitfire squadron (I guess the local touting of Spit pilot prestige sold him). When the Americans were bombed at Pearl the Mustangs became in short supply and the Tac/R squadrons offered him a P-38 so he went to the Americans who also offered him a P-38. He quit and joined the Navy to fly F4Fs.  :rofl

You thinking of Hollis Hills?  Shot down the first 190 to fall to a Mustang?  Ended up in the US Navy flying off the carriers after his RCAF days
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2008, 02:15:16 AM »
Thats him I think. Only had one kill when he joined the F4Fs if I got it right.