Author Topic: RAF Mustang MkIA  (Read 2525 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: RAF Mustang MkIA
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2008, 03:33:53 PM »
Why would the A-36 need to be perked?  Just because there was only a 150 made is no reason and if added to the game it would not cause an unbalance in the game play.  No justification for being perked, plane or ordnance.

ack-ack

ack-ack,

I was requesting the RAF Mustang MkIA. 150 were delivered which the RAF had 4 20mm cannons installed in the wings for ground attack. Below 15k in the MA it would probably be a monster and would need to be perked. The Army Air Force A36 Apache had 4 .50cal and 4 .30cal. The Hurri IIC had 4 20mm for ground attack. Would probably be the same amount of ammo in the Mustang MkIA. I'm just thinking of how neatly a MkIA would fit into how we play Air Quake.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2008, 05:25:16 PM »
Only after the much more produced Allison birds get done. An A36 would make much more sense.

You  guys needing to compensate for your small joysticks with 4 cannons need to relax :)

I agree with the part on the A36. It would make a much better first addition, and it was used a lot more than the Mustang Mk IA.  :salute
No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2008, 05:45:49 PM »
I don't think anyone in this thread has directly requested for this plane to be added as the next thing from HTC, just that it's been requested to be added (hopefuly soon) and that players have an interest in a hispano variant of the P-51 (the process is at least 1/2 way already done compared to a brand new plane, since its based off a current model).  However as far as adding something signifigant to this game, it won't (at least compared to a completely new model, something new from nose to tail), and it shouldn't be put ahead of a lot of other planes that would... but it would add something that players who like the P-51 are interested in.
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2008, 05:57:00 PM »
If anyone had checked, this has been requested by every one who has ever seen a photo of the 4 cannon Allison Mustang.

We have the same discussion too as it isn't  about much more then another 4 cannon bird which so many folks depend on.  Would anyone fly an RAF Allison Mustang without 4 cannons?  Doubtful outside of the history minded folks. 

Its just a request for 4 cannons on another bird.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2008, 05:58:38 PM »
The MkI is completely different to the other Mustangs, it would be the same as adding a different aircraft.
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2008, 06:47:01 PM »
It would be a fair bit less work than a new aircraft. Compared to the P-51B the outside shape would need some reshaping, in particular the nose, propeller, ventral scoop, rear windows and maybe a non-Malcolm hood. Also the guns, whether cannons or mgs. The cockpit would need modifying, as the layout was a bit different and possibly the canopy framing would need to be added. Same with the flight model, essentially the same aerodynamics but power, prop forces and weights are a bit different.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 06:49:52 PM by Greebo »

Offline BoSoxFan

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2008, 01:49:13 AM »
ack-ack,

I was requesting the RAF Mustang MkIA. 150 were delivered which the RAF had 4 20mm cannons installed in the wings for ground attack. Below 15k in the MA it would probably be a monster and would need to be perked. The Army Air Force A36 Apache had 4 .50cal and 4 .30cal. The Hurri IIC had 4 20mm for ground attack. Would probably be the same amount of ammo in the Mustang MkIA. I'm just thinking of how neatly a MkIA would fit into how we play Air Quake.

I dont think you know that it would have around the same speed as the P-40E since it had the same type engine. It wouldnt be a super uber P-51D with a typhoon loadout.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2008, 02:35:35 AM »
The RAF Mustang MkIA with Allison engine is about 35mph faster than the P40. With 4-20mm, from deck to 12k would be a nasty advisary in the MA. Players like Steve and SHawk would make it fearsome to face. Guppy is experienced enough to not want it because of how it would be misused by HO'ers and pickers. Think of an F4U-1A jabbo mission with 10 1A and 3-5 C-Hog hitting an airfeild NOE. Now change that to P51D and Mustang MkIa.

The A36 Apache only had 4 .50 and 4 .30. And yes this is a blatent request for a cannon version of the Mustang that had numbers in service and was used by the British almost to the end of the war. If the RAF thought it was a good low level tool in 1942-44, why can't we have it also??????????? Its not like I'm asking for the clipped wing spit14........ :pray<----now that would be a monster........... :t
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline vonKrimm

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2008, 02:53:47 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

So what is the a/c in the pic posted by Twinboom?  It can't be a Mustang Mk1a as it is in US markings.  It can't be a A-36 as those are obviously not .50cals in the wings.  So what is the correct designation for the a/c in the picture?

Fight Like a Girl

Offline BoSoxFan

• Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2008, 03:00:51 AM »
So what is the a/c in the pic posted by Twinboom?  It can't be a Mustang Mk1a as it is in US markings.  It can't be a A-36 as those are obviously not .50cals in the wings.  So what is the correct designation for the a/c in the picture?

Its a P-51A aka Mustaing MK I. The P-51A was an american aircraft when just sold some to the brits.

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2008, 12:10:22 PM »
You  guys needing to compensate for your small joysticks with 4 cannons need to relax :)

:lol Quote of the month.  :aok

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2008, 01:25:01 PM »
The A36 Apache only had 4 .50 and 4 .30. And yes this is a blatent request for a cannon version of the Mustang that had numbers in service and was used by the British almost to the end of the war. If the RAF thought it was a good low level tool in 1942-44, why can't we have it also??????????? Its not like I'm asking for the clipped wing spit14........ :pray<----now that would be a monster........... :t

Sorry but that statement is incorrect. The A-36 Apache had six .50 cal machine guns. Four in the wings and two in the chin.

The British Mustang Mk I had two .50s in the chin and two in the wings with four .30 cals in the wings also.

The Mustang IA had four 20mm cannon and 93 went to the British and 55 to the USAAF (two being held back for testing). The Americans outfitted three squadrons in total with the P-51 with the first combat sorties flown by the 154th OS as F-6As. These aircraft were the best choice because there was nothing that could catch them and their orders were to avoid combat (the film they carried was considered vital) but that didnt stop them from shooting Axis aircraft down.

You should also know that the A-36 was limited to carrying 500lb bombs. The deployment of the dive brakes induced 2 Gs on the airframe and yes it made dive bombing more accurate but it also made shooting the A-36 in a dive much easier (from AAA).

I would love to have brakes for fighting the 'helicopter' we have now (the F4U).
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2008, 01:26:23 PM »
The RAF Mustang MkIA with Allison engine is about 35mph faster than the P40. With 4-20mm, from deck to 12k would be a nasty advisary in the MA. Players like Steve and SHawk would make it fearsome to face. Guppy is experienced enough to not want it because of how it would be misused by HO'ers and pickers. Think of an F4U-1A jabbo mission with 10 1A and 3-5 C-Hog hitting an airfeild NOE. Now change that to P51D and Mustang MkIa.

But you are misreprenting it's combat use.  The RAF birds order was 150 Mk IA.  They didn't get all those birds as many were taken over by the USAAF, of which a few were sent to North Africa with a pair of recon squadrons.  The RAF combat birds were mainly Mk I or Mk II Mustangs with the 50 cal, 30 cal mix of the Mk I or the 4 50 cal set up of the Mk II.  Those were used for Army Co-op work and recon too.  

I don't have any problem with adding an Allison Mustang, but do it based on the birds that got used consistantly.  Again the early Mustang I's were operational with the RAF for a long time.  The A36 got a lot of use in the MTO.  The P51A made a name for itself in the CBI with Phil Cochron and the 1st Air Commandos.  Many were modified in the ETO for low level photo work.

Adding the 4 cannon Allison Mustang is nothing more then an excuse for another 4 cannon bird in the MA however, and those get abused by folks enough already.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline chewie86

• Nickel Member
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2008, 01:31:27 PM »
Knowing that only 200 C-Hogs were built and HiTech was kind enough to introduce them into the game.

In September 1940, 150 aircraft, designated NA-91 by North American, were ordered under the Lend/Lease program. These were designated by the USAAF as P-51 and initially named Apache, although this was soon dropped and the RAF name, Mustang, adopted instead. The British designated this model as Mustang IA. The Mustang Mk IA was identical to the Mustang Mk I except that the wing-mounted machine guns were removed and replaced with four long-barrelled 20 mm Hispano Mk II cannon.

Since our furballs are mostly 15k to the deck, this would be a perkable addition to the inventory. Kind of like a Hurri-C and a P40 had a love child.......... :O

then the G.55 has the priority upon another british / american plane .. :P
Lube & Shame "peneduro"
My AH2 videos
SDL SEASON 1 Champions:
Loose Deuce
, ~Black Leather & Pink Slippers~

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2008, 01:38:20 PM »
Researching the 154th OS I discovered they were trained at Eglin (shooting numerous rolls of film of facilities around the gulf coast and inland as far as Memphis) and I am wondering if any of those images survive today. Also interesting is the zero training losses which I guess is explained by experienced fliers or lengthier training compared to shorter training periods later on.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.