Author Topic: Why overshooting is to be avoided.  (Read 2629 times)

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
Re: Why overshooting is to be avoided.
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2008, 02:21:20 PM »
In my sig I have a link to some colored gun sights. Some of the previous sights I've found are good but just didn't fit what I thought I needed to do the job. Like when learning to shoot rockets.

No sight can make you a better pilot but finding the right one that works for you can make all the difference...just like stick settings.

I like these two best because they fit most every plane, are not to cluttered and help me line up targets easily. I don't need the rocket one as much anymore but the vertical lines can still help me.

The stick settings I use are probably close to Mudr's and taken from settings I found in a  post made years ago on the subject in either 2001 or 2 by Lephern I think his name was.
I further manipulated them using one of the CH products control manager functions that allows me to get even more control. I don't exactly need it but it's there for me to use if I wanted just like AH's  map controller function.

Getting back on topic...kind of.   Widewing was overshot by that mustang partly because he may not have known how to use (manipulate) his rudder or manage his throttle. Throttle management is key to avoiding overshoots and the guns on an A20 can be very deadly once your in front of them  :)

Offline Sonicblu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2008, 03:19:22 PM »
Not at all.  It's a very simple courtesy to agree to an alt cap before the initial merge.  There is no co-E without a cap because inevitably one or both players will be seeking to gain an E advantage before they even make visual contact.  Which quite frankly is a waste of everyones time since the idea is to engage in a 1 vs 1, and not to fool around for 10 minutes playing who can climb the highest.

Trying to unbalance the fight before the initial merge, be it a 100 mph advantage from a climbout and dive, or 500 lb weight advantage from manipulating the loadout, or a no-notice surprise aircraft choice, shows a total lack of respect for the fellow player who has chosen to spend a portion of their game playing time to arrange a 1 vs 1 with another player.  

Taking 30 seconds to communicate and agree on the pre-fight conditions is the adult thing to do.  Trying to be a weasel and rig the fight well before it actually starts is the childish way of doing it.

Having rules in a dual doesn't help either. It is just an other way to unbalance the fight before the initial merge.

Example. I would wonder how a pilot would always have more e that me on a co alt merge.
the little trick is to come in one k or more higher and looking at map before the icon can be spotted starting a dive to the agreed to alt. then from there its a game of who can mow the grass the closest.
Most rules are in fact to handicap the less knowledgeable pilot in the dual.

THE 1v1 dual in the DA with rules is more about handicapping one player than making it fair. They wont tell you the alt dive trick or the others.

Some the the funnest and fairest fights in the DA have been 1 v 1 with no rules.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2008, 03:41:43 PM »
Having rules in a dual doesn't help either. It is just an other way to unbalance the fight before the initial merge.

Example. I would wonder how a pilot would always have more e that me on a co alt merge.
the little trick is to come in one k or more higher and looking at map before the icon can be spotted starting a dive to the agreed to alt. then from there its a game of who can mow the grass the closest.

THE 1v1 dual in the DA with rules is more about handicapping one player than making it fair. They wont tell you the alt dive trick or the others.

Some the the funnest and fairest fights in the DA have been 1 v 1 with no rules.

Wrong... goes back to what they were saying about rules. If you climb above the agreed merge, even though your co-alt at the merge, all your doing is conceding the other guy is much better than you. That is not a "trick" as you call it. It is simply a method used by a weaker cartoon pilot to give him a chance in the fight. A person using that method to cover his inabilities or weaknesses might get along fine for awhile... till caught. Then no matter what they do in the future, they'll always be stuck with the moniker of "weak pilot"or of "one not to be trusted".
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Stang

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2008, 03:47:48 PM »

Another clueless post, yet I think this might be the majority opionion of people in game.  How sad is that?

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2008, 03:49:12 PM »
If there is a way to try to cheat in a duel, I have probably seen it, but that is not the point.  If you do not ask an opponent to agree to anything, then you cannot expect anything either.  If they agree to the duel setup, and then break their word, then they are a liar and a cheat, and many in the community like to be aware of such things.  And word of those players dweebery does get around.

The reason there are rules for duelling is because it's supposed to be a gentleman's sport of fairness in setup to see who the better pilot is.  A test of skill, not dweebery.

Yep, it's pretty much a filter of who can act like a gentleman, and who is an arse.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2008, 03:57:57 PM »
If there is a way to try to cheat in a duel, I have probably seen it, but that is not the point.  If you do not ask an opponent to agree to anything, then you cannot expect anything either.  If they agree to the duel setup, and then break their word, then they are a liar and a cheat, and many in the community like to be aware of such things.  And word of those players dweebery does get around.

Yep, it's pretty much a filter of who can act like a gentleman, and who is an arse.

:rock  :rock  :rock  :rock  :rock
 :aok  :aok  :aok  :aok  :aok  :aok

;)
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2008, 04:24:38 PM »
I can post the film... Suit yourself.

My regards,

Widewing
Post eeet! :D
See Rule #4

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2008, 04:42:25 PM »

So if I might have a reputation in the MA as a gentleman and good opponent to come across. But simply not agreeing or being interested in the DA with it's set rules and instead preferring the more open arena of the MA for duels that makes me an arse in the communities view?

According to the Training Corp? Or is that just your opinion?

<S>...-Gixer
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 05:01:27 PM by Gixer »

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: November 04, 2008, 04:49:34 PM »
Being bested by a better pilot in a fair fight is not shameful.   However.... puffing up ones chest then not accepting a fair fight ( with same planes and set rules) is. :aok
See Rule #4

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2008, 04:59:04 PM »

I'll pull the diving trick while training with my squaddies. However I start AT the specified alt CAP and dive to trick them into thinking I'm at a worse E-state because I'm below them. :D
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: November 04, 2008, 04:59:24 PM »

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #56 on: November 04, 2008, 05:01:34 PM »
So if I have a reputation in the MA as a gentleman and good opponent to come across. But simply not agreeing or being interested in the DA with it's set rules and instead preferring the more open arena of the MA for duels that makes me an arse in the communities view?

According to the Training Corp? Or is that just your opinion?

<S>...-Gixer

Not what he said at all. "If" you agree to rules then do not abide by them, then you will be stoned sayeth the masses. If you don't agree to any rules then expect nothing in return. If you free-form in the MA there is nothing wrong with that.....

Personally I don't go into the DA either but I have no problem with those that do...
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline uberslet

• Silver Member
« Reply #57 on: November 04, 2008, 05:01:47 PM »
Did you even read my thread i said its common sense that you would meet co alt i never said anything or would merge at a higher alt if someone wants to duel. And it isnt expected from other party either but if they do so be it.

<S>...-Gixer

not to be a smart ass, but you dont tell me "co alt merge" or "no HO's" i will do whatever the hell i want, just incase you should do it too, unless i know your honest enough to not do one or the other.
MasonZ - In-game ID
=Wings of Terror= - MA Squad
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: November 04, 2008, 05:02:37 PM »
I'd like to see some more film, and hear a lot less from Gixer.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #59 on: November 04, 2008, 05:06:31 PM »
I'd like to see some more film, and hear a lot less from Gixer.

No problem, I'll sit back and watch and see how this and any new threads pan out.

<S>...-Gixer