Author Topic: Why overshooting is to be avoided.  (Read 2630 times)

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Why overshooting is to be avoided.
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2008, 10:20:09 PM »
Hmm... Gixer in a pissing match vs. Widewing.

Place your bets, gents. :D
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2008, 10:44:03 PM »
When on earth did I ever use F3 view in a duel?  I only ever fly fighters not bombers. Haven't been in a buff since before AH2.

Yes of course you only use it to track GVs how silly of me to think otherwise.   

<S>...-Gixer

I can post the film... Suit yourself.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2008, 10:59:03 PM »
Do you mean ALT-F3 or what ever it is to quit??  :rofl

If you think I'd be worried about you in the MA let alone the DA then your ego is getting ahead of you by a long margin.

What ever happend in DA is one thing, which no one gives a toss about anyway. But having F3 mapped to your joystick in the MA is another matter... Oh of course only for GVs.   :lol

<S>...-Gixer

Wow, someone has self-esteem issues.

It's like if you say it enough, you'll convince yourself... Better keep repeating it.

My regards,

Widewing

My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2008, 11:01:16 PM »
Hmm... Gixer in a pissing match vs. Widewing.

Place your bets, gents. :D

Not if you want to keep your money. Besides, if I were to duel Gixer (he won't duel anyway), I'd have to stipulate 25% fuel or chase him around the arena for an hour....

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

Offline Tr1gg22

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2008, 12:03:59 AM »
I love when that happens :salute
"CO" of the Wobblin Gobblins...

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2008, 12:40:37 AM »
Widewing,

I'm not repeating myself again over a thread and episode that was months ago, if you like link the old thread and post the film then do it, and if you post the film post it from the start and post it in a new thread so it isn't lost in this one.. But remember the challenge you gave out was a open one no communication was ever given prior about DA rules especially one with reduced range of 1.5k.

It is hilarious that you think I used F3 in the DA, and hilarious that I would use it in a Yak out of all planes in the set. What on earth advantage would I gain from using F3 in a Yak when it is the only plane in the game that has a better view looking backwards then forwards?

As for the "he won't duel" that's also ridiculous, no I won't in the DA under your long list of rules but if you want to again in the MA with no rules I will any time. Like I do against many others who specifically go out looking for duels against me. If you want to do the same, do so and fly what ever you want. You can post those films as well.

I know you like to think of the DA as your personal sandpit but it doesn't interest me and never has.

Now F3 in the MA for buffs is one of the longest going cheats that's ever been in AH, using F3 for gunning instead of dropping into turrets, but now seeing it being used in the A20 is something else. IMHO the F3 view should of been dumped long ago.

While I respect the information,training and time you put towards this community I'm not some two month newbie or one of your groupies, if your going to make claims about me then go for it. But one of Timid and "he won't duel" won't stick.

And thanks for the new sig.

<S>...-Gixer
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 12:45:51 AM by Gixer »

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2008, 12:42:14 AM »
double post..

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2008, 07:59:52 AM »
I use to the F3 view in an A20.  Can't shoot with it though.  Since I'm usually outnumbered, (FH down and I feel like upping into the fight, A20!) I don't feel bad about it in the slightest.
Callsign: Bongaroo
Formerly: 420ace

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2008, 09:08:30 AM »
Dueling Rules were brought up in another thread, and after I asked about it, it was made explicitly known to me that the rules are intended for same-aircraft matchups.  Otherwise, the 1.5k distance rule drastically handicaps the aircraft with higher wingloading.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline MajWoody

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2008, 09:41:42 AM »
I was helping to beat back a major GV raid. I was up an A-20 and had been dodging P-51s for a few minutes. I was missing an aileron courtesy of Wirblewind. While I was working over a Panzer in the town, a P-51D comes in and makes a rather badly managed attack. This results in a classic overshoot and the resulting consequences. A-20s are tough birds and you won't do much harm to them scattering just a few hits.

http://home.att.net/~historyworld/Classic-Overshoot.ahf

My regards,

Widewing

The link is not working. I'm getting an error message.
Lets keep the stupid to a minimum.
Old Age and Treachery, will overcome youth and skill EVERYTIME

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2008, 09:56:51 AM »
2.5K is the current standard separation rule to my knowledge.  If that has supposedly changed, I need a link  :)

As for the "he won't duel" that's also ridiculous, no I won't in the DA under your long list of rules but if you want to again in the MA with no rules I will any time.

There have always been dueling rules, whether it was a couple of pilots in a mock dogfight out over the desert in the 1930's, or cartoon pilots flying Air Warrior in 1990.  Actually the majority of standard dueling rules are the same as they were before AH even existed, though the separation one is more recent.  A duel is supposed to be an arranged fight that in principal is structured to start with the opponents on equal footing, or with an agreed to handicap. 

By definition you refuse to duel, because you show a complete lack of respect for the community standards on dueling that have evolved over the last 20 years, and have no wish to initiate a fight in an "all things being equal" setting.  So I do not find the "he won't duel" asertion ridiculous at all.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2008, 10:35:33 AM »
Not if you want to keep your money. Besides, if I were to duel Gixer (he won't duel anyway), I'd have to stipulate 25% fuel or chase him around the arena for an hour....

My regards,

Widewing
:rofl :rofl :rofl :aok

I'm always amazed at the confusion between the typical run, twitch, flop, shoot yak driver and the concept of "ACM". The Yak is a tremendous plane and very formidable when well handled...but basically is flown in "drive by" mode almost all the time (with a few notable exceptions). As for the thought of F3 mode being a help in the A-20 in an air to air role...hardly. In fact I've found it gets you killed in a fight more often then not. I never use F3 in a dogfight...it messes up my timing and actually degrades my SA while giving away angles. A good pilot almost never "loses sight"...even when he can't actually see you. In the 3/10ths of a second your out of view I'm flying to where "your going" or where I think you'll vector to...if you dont reappear then i'm aggresively reorienting the lift vector anyway. Messing around looking for a con in F3 just gets you killed.

I do use it when being chased or when I need to refresh my overall SA during a fight where the actual con being engaged isnt a threat. Normally I use F3 when the bogie is in sight in front of me...never when he's "behind" me.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2008, 10:54:20 AM »
I dont see why duel rules are needed simply because we are all adults and dont need regulations to set everything from alt down to fuel loading. It is common sense that two would merge at a relative co alt co E engagement.

Now if i get messaged in MA from someone I know at higher alt and E I will still say in.

Its just boils down to common sense and show a little respect I've never seen the need to leave the MA for duels and then lay down a list of rules. Rules are for training ops.  

DA & TA is for training if someone wants a match up just message me in the MA.  

<S>...-Gixer  

Offline Stang

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2008, 11:50:58 AM »
I dont see why duel rules are needed simply because we are all adults and dont need regulations to set everything from alt down to fuel loading. It is common sense that two would merge at a relative co alt co E engagement.

Now if i get messaged in MA from someone I know at higher alt and E I will still say in.

Its just boils down to common sense and show a little respect I've never seen the need to leave the MA for duels and then lay down a list of rules. Rules are for training ops. 

DA & TA is for training if someone wants a match up just message me in the MA.   

<S>...-Gixer 
Ok I'm having a hard time grasping this... so you're basically saying that meeting at a set altitude is silly?  What do you do when you duel?  Climb to like 15k and then head in hoping to find your opponet at a disadvantage?  What's the point of duelling if you have to have an advantage?  Even if you get the other guy, could you ever admit to yourself that you "beat" him holding all the cards?  Please tell me how you would go about a duel and what is so preposterous about meeting at the same altitude then fighting to see who the better pilot is?

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2008, 12:01:36 PM »
Duels don't always happen in the same plane. There are many planes that have clear advantages over others. It comes down to who has better stick settings, set-ups and the know how or skill to defeat the enemy.

Luck in some cases also can play a role. Like when you chase a guy around for 3-6 minutes then finally when your able to get a shot on him, the sun gets in the way, the cat jumps on your keyboard, your wife walks in the room naked, the pizza is at the door, smoke gets in your eye, the kid falls down the stairs,your computer freezes or you switch to udp