Author Topic: CV landing problems  (Read 508 times)

Offline Pander

• Zinc Member
CV landing problems
« on: November 07, 2008, 06:40:12 PM »
For some reason, I just can't leave this game alone without getting a carrier landing. Recently, I have encountered some problems. Actually, more like one. When I align myself with the CV, the plane banks left and turns right at the same time, forcing me to go back from start. According to the training corps site, this is because I increase throttle too fast. I just wanted to be sure, though.
<S>
F4U-1D pilot

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
Re: CV landing problems
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 07:01:30 PM »
Yeah, sounds like a torque problem or a stall.

Offline transam1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 03:25:26 PM »
Try landing on the carrier in a Zero first. The torque of the engine will be less of a problem in that airplane.
Vf4nik8r   VF-31tomcatters

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 07:56:52 AM »
Zeke's, Seafires, FM2's and F6F's are good practice planes for CV landings; Corsairs are a bit trickier. Gel slow (110ias) drop full flaps (and tailhook) and use PageUp for the best over-the-cowl view.

Offline Pander

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 07:16:46 PM »
Thanks, I actually found that it was the rapid throttle increase combined with my rudder usage. I had probably banked the pedals to the right, pushing my plane to the left. However I found that I could land by simply decreasing throttle half way as I got closer to the 180, then on the 90, I decreased even more + gears down (this decreases my air speed even more I'd say that at the time I would still be flying at around 350 mph). Basically, it's all about alignment, you don't need the rudders at all (like I did). Thanks though...
F4U-1D pilot

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 07:38:06 PM »
Thanks, I actually found that it was the rapid throttle increase combined with my rudder usage.

Yep, that's what Motherland described as a "torque problem".  Glad you have it figured out.

Offline Pander

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 07:43:55 PM »
I feel special :D
F4U-1D pilot