Author Topic: This is just too much..  (Read 173 times)

Offline 214thCavalier

• Silver Member
This is just too much..
« on: February 27, 2001, 05:50:00 PM »
Speaking of Fleet High Alt Flak again.
Tonight was enroute from A19 to A8 which was being attacked. Trying out the Tiffie and cruising along at 20k when all of a sudden BOOM wtf i think, split second later realise its Fleet ack BOOM  DEAD !
You know Fleet High Alt Ack comes in salvo's ie boom boom  and 2 seconds later another, well i got really pissed cos the very 1st salvo just blew the F**k outa me.
Nobody can tell me seriously that this is right for this AA to blow me to bits at 20k with 1st salvo especially when i am flying a fighter.
I have previously posted that i avoid enemy CV's like the plague because of this problem, now i find the damn things killing me at 20k when enroute to a base defence.
I am here to fly and fight against other PEOPLE ! if i wanted to die to some half assed Ack AI there are plenty of offline games i could purchase, hell i could even put up with some dead eye gunner killing me with a manned gun.
This is SERIOUSLY affecting my enjoyment of the game.
I really do take evasive action away from fleets as soon as they open fire because i have no chance of survival, but when i die with the 1st salvo i get fekn angry as hell.
OK somebodys bound to post saying your wrong its not like that, well you may find it different but my fighter planes are fitted with homing beacons for that damned Ack.

LOGGED OFF !

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
This is just too much..
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2001, 07:04:00 PM »
HTC announced a 10 cent refund for every single ping kill from fleet flak at beyond visual range and/or when being followed by an enemy plane near the ack.

Oh wait, that was last night's dream.. never mind.

*sigh* (thought id get a 50% discount with that   )

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
This is just too much..
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2001, 01:24:00 PM »
I swear there is something funny going on with the fleet flak.

As near as I can tell, the high-alt flak is there only for decoration.   It has never killed me, never caused major damage, and barely ever even pings me.  It just looks cool as it follows my plane wherever I go (decidedly un-flaklike).

Some people are being drastically affected by the flak; others fly through it with impunity.   Something is wrong.  Perhaps connection has something to do with it....maybe people with better connections get killed by it more often??

J_A_B

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
This is just too much..
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2001, 02:24:00 PM »
Fleets are FUBAR in every respect. Ungodly amount of FR-murdering tracer fire (laser guided single ping heat seeking 175mm shells) below 6k and prescient flak puffs with IFF equiped shrapnel (that doesnt damage friendly planes) fired with 21st century laser targeting technology.

Fleet defensive fire, as well as field defensive fire... this meaning tracer fire AND Flak fire should hit enemy and friendly planes alike.

If an enemy F4u follows me near HIS OWN fleet ack+flak he should have the same vulnerability that I have to the incoming fleet fire. A bullet is a bullet is a bullet. Killshooter is in the game to prevent moronic human behaviour, but this is fleet AI.

Hans

This is just too much..
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2001, 02:41:00 AM »
Well, real life late war Ack would stop firing before the first round actually blew up at 20k near the target.  They were that confident that they would hit.

Proximity fuses (a HUGE advantage).
Radar guidance.

Why have flack if it never hits anything?

Hans.

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
This is just too much..
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2001, 04:11:00 AM »
It's not the accuracy......well yeah it is.  But the main problem is the 1 ping then death crap.  It just aint fun.

In fact I think the whole idea of planes blowing up in the air and leaving bugger all left is stoopid.  Yeah ok, have bits flying off and the plane falling appart but the explosion?  nah.

Dont go tellin me planes do explode, I'm fully aware of the explosive qualities of a tank full of aviation fuel.  This is a game play consession.

[This message has been edited by Swoop (edited 03-01-2001).]

Pepino

This is just too much..
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2001, 06:04:00 AM »
I am having no big problems with [edit]Fleet[/edit] ack. What is most strange is that I get hit mostly, in fact almost exclusively, when I turn or make sudden changes in my fligth path.

If I fly straight & level, I seldom receive pings, but consistently no damage.

Just my 2c.

Pepe

[This message has been edited by Pepino (edited 03-01-2001).]

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
This is just too much..
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2001, 10:12:00 AM »
Reading, once again, an autobiography of a spit pilot in the later stages of WW2.  He mentioned that german 88 gunners were very good, and that any flak burst within 28ft of a spitfire usually resulted in a shredded aircraft and pilot.

SKurj

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
This is just too much..
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2001, 11:24:00 AM »
I think if you get hit with friendly ack fire you do take damage... a couple times I've tried launching from the cv or rolling from a field in the past and had my gear chopped out from under me from ack   course I"ve never been hit in the air so I dunno.  
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Hans

This is just too much..
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2001, 03:04:00 AM »
I must be crazy, but I tought the idea of Flack was to shoot planes down.

And now people are complaing that it works?

Its Flack.  It does what Flack does.  Be afraid, because your supposed to.

Flack does seem to be a random number generator that arbitrarily explodes bombs in midair in a general area around you.  Thats a simple and effective way to do flack, and one that few people can find a loophole to ALWAYS make it thru unscathed.  Its probably how I would program flack if I did it myself.

That old battle philosophy of bullets having your name, but shrappnel being "to whom it may concern" seems apropriate.

Hans.

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
This is just too much..
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2001, 10:09:00 AM »
Yes Hans, however when flak follows a 500mph downward spiraling plane with absolute perfection, AND the "to whom it may concern" flak does not kill friendly planes, there is a problem.