Author Topic: After 9 years...  (Read 6922 times)

Offline WWM

• Copper Member
Re: After 9 years...
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2008, 03:48:18 PM »
It's very easy to ask a good pilot to DA you and most likely, they will oblige!  :aok

Not the same.  DA was best when FB lake had 10-15 players in it and when you saw a 1v1 fight you flew past it to a single dot for your own 1v1 instead of zooming down to pick a stall fighter.   I agree paid H2H would be the way to go.  You would soon learn which hosted arena you wanted to fly and which ones you wanted to stay out of.
Jay12

Offline avionix

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2008, 03:52:18 PM »
Not to jump on anyone toes, but maybe you should look inwardly some.  

You will flame away when you finish reading I am sure.  After all, I have only been here 10 months.  And I already know about the training area.  But, why not help the new player evolve into what you are looking for.  All I see on 200 is some ego stroker that taunts people into a fight.  Why not reverse that and ask that person if they would like some help in ACM?  None here has bothered to ask if I wanted any help.  Maybe just to wing with a better pilot once in a while, or go into the DA for a little 1v1.  Done all the reading online like you are supposed to and still have issues.  I know that you can't gain those skills overnight and don't expect to.  But a little help every now and then from some of the best would be nice to see and may just increase the skill level of everyone and make the new guys a little less intimidated when it comes to a fight.  Don't look for a fix to something that you guys after all can have an affect on.  For one, I cannot sit and furball all day long.  After a short while, I get tired of dying and re-upping, which may be an aspect that the newer players adn I find more appealing.  After all, get a few together and we can all accomplish something, while we struggle away with others.  
treekilr in game.   
"Please. This is supposed to be a happy occasion. Let's not bicker and argue over who killed who..."

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2008, 04:45:46 PM »
avionix...

I have and "we" do...

I was part of the original traing cadre here and still help anyone who asks. i'm part of one of the more respected squads here in the game in terms of both overall skill and more importantly "good" game play. I am far from an "uber" stick, most of die more often then not. I originally cut my teeth in Air Warrior with guys like rocketman and -HR- among others, who did make an effort to educate the babyseals like me.

IMO the best way and place to learn good ACM is in a fight oriented environment. I'm simply voicing an opinion that a true "fight" oriented arena would draw good numbers...

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2008, 04:46:46 PM »
I think he's saying he doesn't wanna have to deal with all that, nor ALWAYS be around folks in that stage of development

<edit...or not :noid>
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2008, 04:49:51 PM »

You will flame away when you finish reading I am sure.  After all, I have only been here 10 months.  And I already know about the training area.  But, why not help the new player evolve into what you are looking for.  All I see on 200 is some ego stroker that taunts people into a fight.  Why not reverse that and ask that person if they would like some help in ACM?  None here has bothered to ask if I wanted any help.  Maybe just to wing with a better pilot once in a while, or go into the DA for a little 1v1.  Done all the reading online like you are supposed to and still have issues.  I know that you can't gain those skills overnight and don't expect to.  But a little help every now and then from some of the best would be nice to see and may just increase the skill level of everyone and make the new guys a little less intimidated when it comes to a fight.  Don't look for a fix to something that you guys after all can have an affect on.  For one, I cannot sit and furball all day long.  After a short while, I get tired of dying and re-upping, which may be an aspect that the newer players adn I find more appealing.  After all, get a few together and we can all accomplish something, while we struggle away with others. 

Most of the "Godlike Sticks" are more then willing to take a rookie into the DA/TA and help them improve their game. I might add that I'm starting a project to help teach players Advanced ACM in .avi and .ahf form.

Humble does bring up a valid point. Splitting the late war main did nothing to improve game play, in fact it's gone downhill ever since, at least we had a "War" to win amongst other things.

I hope this thread sparks some AH2 revolution.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 06:17:36 PM by Kazaa »

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2008, 04:51:36 PM »
I still think that making start targets worth while is the key to promoting good fights.  Make things so important that they are worth defending, and fighters will come.
exactly!!

that's why i follow the guys trying to take bases.......they always start a fight.

often, i'll just go start a base flashing. guaranteed someone'll come up.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2008, 04:58:47 PM »

You will flame away when you finish reading I am sure.  After all, I have only been here 10 months.  And I already know about the training area.  But, why not help the new player evolve into what you are looking for.  All I see on 200 is some ego stroker that taunts people into a fight.  Why not reverse that and ask that person if they would like some help in ACM?  None here has bothered to ask if I wanted any help.  Maybe just to wing with a better pilot once in a while, or go into the DA for a little 1v1.  Done all the reading online like you are supposed to and still have issues.  I know that you can't gain those skills overnight and don't expect to.  But a little help every now and then from some of the best would be nice to see and may just increase the skill level of everyone and make the new guys a little less intimidated when it comes to a fight.  Don't look for a fix to something that you guys after all can have an affect on.  For one, I cannot sit and furball all day long.  After a short while, I get tired of dying and re-upping, which may be an aspect that the newer players adn I find more appealing.  After all, get a few together and we can all accomplish something, while we struggle away with others.  

i've had fights with akak, shuffler, soulss, and a few others. they ALL, without exception not only saluted me, but when they knew i was comming back, they tried to tell me what i did wrong, and what i should've done. not a single one of them "stroked their egos" on my kill. and believe me, they kilt me quite a bit   :rofl

the unfortunate thing, is that guys like them are the minority.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Tr1gg22

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2008, 05:12:08 PM »
yes u would call that the DA IMO :O Ever stop to think that ur just bored of the game :O  Nine years is a long time you will never get the first feeling of aww wow this is cool after the first 2 years :rofl Should this arena of urs have a 3k alt cap also? I think the only way this game would get better is to actually incorporate some actual strategy... Hangers should go down for longer than 15 minutes would be a start..This is the biggest virtual cluster "F" known to online gaming. One mass dingle berry raid :rolleyes: I'm not complaining about how the game currently is ,but there are millions of ways to improve it. The only reason why I play this game anymore is ww2 online has no vox ,and I can't type worth a crud. They really have the right idea when it comes to a certain type of a real war combat type of experience with the whole strategy part intact...Funny how someone can build a classic cherry corvette and forget the engine :furious ridicules :mad:
"CO" of the Wobblin Gobblins...

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2008, 05:35:01 PM »
In the beginning....most of us were dedicated flightsim junkies who had been doing this for many years.

We generally read, modeled, collected prints, etc. about WWII and the aircraft that participated in the air war from 39 to 45.

IMHO in these past few years we are getting "gamers" instead of the simmer.

They've little or no passion for the aircraft or the tactics used in WWII as well as the History of the War, The aircraft, the Squadrons
and Pilots that battled in the skies over Europe and in the Pacific.

We've got the point and clickers.

I think somehow we've got to educate our new users on the History of the Air War and the Squadrons and Pilots who flew the planes.

How we do that.....is up for debate. Until they have the passion that we have, things will not change.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline AKHog

• Nickel Member
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2008, 05:50:37 PM »
In the beginning....most of us were dedicated flightsim junkies who had been doing this for many years.

We generally read, modeled, collected prints, etc. about WWII and the aircraft that participated in the air war from 39 to 45.

IMHO in these past few years we are getting "gamers" instead of the simmer.

They've little or no passion for the aircraft or the tactics used in WWII as well as the History of the War, The aircraft, the Squadrons
and Pilots that battled in the skies over Europe and in the Pacific.

We've got the point and clickers.

I think somehow we've got to educate our new users on the History of the Air War and the Squadrons and Pilots who flew the planes.

How we do that.....is up for debate. Until they have the passion that we have, things will not change.

I agree, however I don't think we need to educate the new users. The problem is the way the game has changed over the years it has just naturally attacted these gamers. If we went back to beta 75% of the current players would probably no longer play, because there were no rewards for anything but good ACM
The journey is the destination.

Offline redman555

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2008, 06:08:40 PM »
here in AH I'm very surprised to realize that the game overall is markedly worse then it was when it started. That isn't an "I'm quitting" or "back in the good old days" comment. It also doesn't mean that I have any (let alone all) the answers. I know that everything the powers that be do is with the intent to make the game "better", that doesn't mean it is. The simple reality is that the game was never better then the original beta is every aspect that counted. The player base was elite, the flight model complex subtle and unforgiving and game play wasn't hampered with all the add on garbage.

I realize that "back to the future" is impossible but I wonder if small map fighter (and tank) {no ords} only arena is possible. No buffs, no base capture no "score" system. Just a place for the guys who want to actually fight without anything to attract the lesser elements (and yes I'm an elitist snob).

Agree, when i first started flying 4 years ago, the game was WAY more fun, i dont have a huge drive to paly anymore

-BigBOBCH
~364th C-HAWKS FG~

Ingame: BigBOBCH

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2008, 06:18:12 PM »

one of my projects fallen on the wayside was a 1/48 and 1/72 collection of AH planes...
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline pluck

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2008, 06:25:01 PM »
You don't remember that this approach was tried and failed?

I seem to remember vaguely, but wasn't sure why it failed, or if it was just seeing how something would work.  I think the biggest issue with splitting the arenas, is that half the people were dumped from an arena, yet maps built to hold a larger capacity stayed.   Dunno, but I really don't see players changing the way they do anything.  Gameplay mechanics determine how players play the game.  I'm not against strat, but I don't think players will avoid milk running bases, running from fights, and all the other non combat related items.  AH is somewhat unique in that it is a combat game that easily allows non-combat, or combat in which one force as a completely overwhelming unbalanced attack.  

Alot of vets go out of their way to help people who need it.  Though there are quite a few 200 guys who aren't as helpfull.  I'm not sure there are enough vets to help everyone coming in, and I would be willing to bet that many, giving the option of training, or milking, some would just milk.  Milking bases isn't a one way street either, there should be people defending.  

AH2 is still very close to AH1 in terms of how the game is played.  There are many more players now, however, which I think changes the dynamics a bit.  It's just my opinion that having smaller maps with the split arenas would lead to larger scale battles and more reason to defend bases.  It might require countries to split there forces in a more equal fashion.  Smaller maps would lead to more wins as well, which I think would be something more welcoming for the win the war types....then again, I might be wrong.  Just one side note, having 300 in 1 arena would be similar to several years ago when just 1 ma and small maps.  aside from pizza.

Just trying to think of ways to get people to hang around and fight more, and reason to do so.  When fights are more concentrated, it gives some of the guys who've taken the time to learn their ACM to play a larger factor.  One could go so far as saying "get rid of rank"  or "name in lights." how many people you think head for home as soon as kill #2?  I think if nothing changes at all, we will continue to head down whatever path we are on.  It's HT's path, and he's a better judge of the status of AH, not up for debate, but just throwing in my .02
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 06:43:32 PM by pluck »
-Vast
NOSEART
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline crims

• Nickel Member
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2008, 06:25:28 PM »
Maybe Drop EW or MW or combine them. Start a new Arena, Make it harder to capture a base, Put in a Large city or two. Maybe hide some Factories in there. Sounds like a good Idea. I'm sure you can't make a perfect arena for all but hey why not. Not many people in EW or MW anyway.

Crims

:aok
Life's to Short Don't Forget To Laugh 479Th Raiders FG

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2008, 06:25:47 PM »
1st,

The DA is in no way an alternative for an arena, the fact that so many people bring it up is an indication of how big the "problem" is and how few people have an understanding of the game as it was.

2nd,

I'm in no way bored with the game, just game play. I had a hoot flying a scout in rangoon and a blast in FSO last night. I'm far from a dominant pilot and learn something new all the time. Over the years I've been listed in various "best in" threads in the F4U, Ki-61, La-5 and now the A-20. I genuinely appreciate all the time and effort the Pyro, Skuzzy, HT and company put into the product and I realize they cant manage game play. I am just asking for consideration for an arena that allows for a greater focus on true air and ground combat without the trappings of "the war" and eliminates porking as a means of game play.

As for WW2OL, just mentioning it highlights the problem. This game originally was ACES high...at its heart its a wonderful simulation of fighter on fighter combat. This has been buried in more and more "stuff". For the thousands who want this great, but for the hundreds that dont how about an option.

When I started "for real" (I could never really afford AW on genie at the time) we had 5 RR arena's and just 1 FR arena...yet everyone knew that thats where the big boys hung out. After 18 months of RR#2 I ventured to the rare air and never looked back. When +moss told me about the beta for a game called AH I signed up the day I got home. Ran into Fariz my 1st dozen hops and got my rear spanked every time. Immediately went on AW and told my squad I found some new "rare air" and never looked back.

All I want is some rare air back....

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson