Author Topic: After 9 years...  (Read 6926 times)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
Re: After 9 years...
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2008, 06:27:11 PM »
Maybe Drop EW or MW or combine them. Start a new Arena, Make it harder to capture a base, Put in a Large city or two. Maybe hide some Factories in there. Sounds like a good Idea. I'm sure you can't make a perfect arena for all but hey why not. Not many people in EW or MW anyway.

Crims

:aok

MW's population has been on the rise.......
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Shibby

• Zinc Member
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2008, 06:32:11 PM »
I havent been around for 9 years, I started in April of 07, and I thought it was an excellent game then, just as I do now. To me it is still a very challenging and rewarding battle. I dont agree with people who say they see the game going down hill. To me it has only become better.

Offline pluck

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2008, 06:40:05 PM »
DA has definetly changed.  I never remember seeing so many people rtb'ing with kills to collect a chorus of wtg's.  I just remember everyone fought until the died or ran out of fuel, or auger when out of ammo to get back in fight.  To me this is a indication that the attitude of the players has changed.
-Vast
NOSEART
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Tr0jan

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2008, 06:42:45 PM »
DA has definetly changed.  I never remember seeing so many people rtb'ing with kills to collect a chorus of wtg's.  I just remember everyone fought until the died or ran out of fuel, or auger when out of ammo to get back in fight.  To me this is a indication that the attitude of the players has changed.

I do that in a 1 on 1.. but the main furball i have RTB'd a few times  :confused:

Offline crims

• Nickel Member
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2008, 06:58:21 PM »
MW's population has been on the rise.......

30 or 40 people is on the RISE   :rofl    :lol    :rolleyes:   :D

Crims

Life's to Short Don't Forget To Laugh 479Th Raiders FG

Offline avionix

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2008, 07:10:52 PM »
the unfortunate thing, is that guys like them are the minority.

Have not had a chance to go up against any of them that I recall.  I was just pointing out the fact that many of us "noobs" find it difficult to find GOOD training. 

All I was saying is that it would be nice to see some of the better sticks offer some help form time to time.  After all you are the "vets" here.  All through my time of flying in RL, I have tried to help the new pilots out whenever the chance presented itself.  Many times, it was not asked for, but it was always appreciated.  I was jsut saying, that it would be nice to see more of it here.

<S>
treekilr in game.   
"Please. This is supposed to be a happy occasion. Let's not bicker and argue over who killed who..."

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2008, 07:16:56 PM »
30 or 40 people is on the RISE   :rofl    :lol    :rolleyes:   :D

Crims

hey!!

there was 60 or so in there last night, and i think the same the night before............

:noid
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Wyld45

• Copper Member
      • AH2 Rough Rider Bugler
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2008, 07:22:34 PM »

Blame it on the "HALO" and "COUNTER-STRIKE" players,thats the only way they play.
RRWyld45  1138th "Rough Riders" Bomber Wing

Offline Tr0jan

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2008, 07:41:33 PM »
hey!!

there was 60 or so in there last night, and i think the same the night before............

:noid

Was late war full then  :confused: :lol

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2008, 07:50:19 PM »
someone mentioned large maps as a problem, and I agree, when there are more bases than players, just doesn't seem right.. (large maps  - compello/ozkansas/tagma)
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline Tr0jan

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2008, 07:51:34 PM »
someone mentioned large maps as a problem, and I agree, when there are more bases than players, just doesn't seem right.. (large maps  - compello/ozkansas/tagma)

Id rather a large map in Lw than Mw.. as you said.. big map + MW = utter sheet  :lol

Offline Tr1gg22

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2008, 08:40:14 PM »
1st,

The DA is in no way an alternative for an arena, the fact that so many people bring it up is an indication of how big the "problem" is and how few people have an understanding of the game as it was.

2nd,

I'm in no way bored with the game, just game play. I had a hoot flying a scout in rangoon and a blast in FSO last night. I'm far from a dominant pilot and learn something new all the time. Over the years I've been listed in various "best in" threads in the F4U, Ki-61, La-5 and now the A-20. I genuinely appreciate all the time and effort the Pyro, Skuzzy, HT and company put into the product and I realize they cant manage game play. I am just asking for consideration for an arena that allows for a greater focus on true air and ground combat without the trappings of "the war" and eliminates porking as a means of game play.

As for WW2OL, just mentioning it highlights the problem. This game originally was ACES high...at its heart its a wonderful simulation of fighter on fighter combat. This has been buried in more and more "stuff". For the thousands who want this great, but for the hundreds that dont how about an option.

When I started "for real" (I could never really afford AW on genie at the time) we had 5 RR arena's and just 1 FR arena...yet everyone knew that thats where the big boys hung out. After 18 months of RR#2 I ventured to the rare air and never looked back. When +moss told me about the beta for a game called AH I signed up the day I got home. Ran into Fariz my 1st dozen hops and got my rear spanked every time. Immediately went on AW and told my squad I found some new "rare air" and never looked back.

All I want is some rare air back....  Ok so u want an arena just for furballing? I'm a little confused here..Sounds like what u want is an arena dedicated to just gvs and air to air with no ord? Do I understand what u are talking about? I am sorry but what do u want as an arena? Sounds like u want a big furball..I nver played AW before  so maybe thats were Im loosing you..I realize in a way what u want..Shall we name it Da 2?

"CO" of the Wobblin Gobblins...

Offline Scotch

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2008, 09:01:40 PM »
What he, and I too, want is not so simple as a furball.

It's an environmental attitude change...

No hording, ganging, porking, picking. Ho'ing, ramming, cheap shots, and even cheaper fights.
You find all of that in the DA just as much as the MA.

Do away with score and perks. Disable perked planes. Fly them in events...
Not every obscure little field needs to be capturable. Just ones that center around a common area to promote more fights. Otherwise people just hide in their little corners to earn their scores and perks.
Disable the kills landed messages. That's pointless. Look what it does in the DA.

Every arena fight used to be like a duel or match.
ACM was our kung fu and the merge started our honorable battle.
If you were beat, you study, and go back for more.
If someone was in a fight. You waited your turn.
You didn't dogpile on a guy. You weren't dog piled on in return.
If someone was rtb, you let them.

Now it's like Mexico City. Gangs of 8year olds trying to stab you in the back for a peso (point). They're not interested in anything but that peso and don't care how they get it.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 09:54:42 PM by Scotch »
-AoM-

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2008, 09:43:36 PM »
The future may bring many changes to AH, but I'm almost willing to bet most proposals in this thread are not amongst them. :)

For example disabling score: Some players will outright leave...other ones may stay but not react the way some tend to believe. When RTB'ing and getting points doesn't matter anyway, I doubt you will see much more "honorable" gameplay behaviour - but a lot more suicide porkers, Ho'ing, Lancstukas, in other words: More AirQuake ;)
Ah yes - you can then make all bases uncapturable, remove bombers from game and so on, until you cater only to a small number hardcore players. Sounds like a good business plan. :D

But seriously: It's exactly the broad spectrum of gameplay that's possible for everyone in AH that's part of the success story.
I'm  one of those growing up with books and 1/72 models of fighter planes and I came here years ago. But if AH just had been a "pure" fighter sim, I doubt I still would be playing, at least I would have taken more and longer breaks from this game. Having so many aspects & possibilities is keeping me. Sometimes I'm more GV'ing, sometimes I'm more into the basegrab, in some tours I try to master a specific ride, then it's buff hunt, then the score game for a tour or even furballing...

Still, I feel much less excitement playing AH then 3 years ago (or even 8 years during my first 2weeks) - but a huge part doesn't come from gameplay changes but from "having seen it all". And the expectations are rising, what I would have considered a good fight years ago it would hardly be noteworthy today to me ;)

Only a very small number of people would be dedicated enough not to get bored by a pure "furball" sim over the years. If AH would still be like in the glorious BETA times (with better graphics, of course), you would still see a lot of "It ain't the same game today, it sucks" posts on this BBS, even if nothing had changed at all ;)

What I'm not saying is that the air sim player base hasn't changed over the last 10, 15 years. That's a natural thing, times are changing, players are changing, games are changing...and the older we get, the more annoying the squeakers will be ;)

On a related note (but not directed to anyone specific in this thread), I frequently spot a lot of hypocrisy or at least ignorance about this topic on CH 200. Players that happily camped GV spawns with me when we were both new to this game, do now lament without end about "lame camping n00bs" and how gameplay has degraded... go figure

Just my 2c of course :)

(And now back into the breach..having much fun tonight while fighting the horde)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 09:45:26 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Scotch

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2008, 09:58:20 PM »
you cater only to a small number hardcore players. Sounds like a good business plan. :D
I alt-tabed while flying so I didn't read your whole post but:

1) We're talking about a small area or arena.
2) Those hardcore players have been here for years.
 Chances are they'd continue to be if they felt things weren't going down the crapper.
They are the ones who go to cons. Who train newbies. Run the scenarios and events.
That's stable income and easy maintenance.

Scot12b just quit a few hours ago...
-AoM-