Author Topic: Capture the Flag  (Read 527 times)

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
Capture the Flag
« on: June 16, 2009, 02:45:02 PM »
Kind of just randomly thought of this idea from Belial's 3rd arena thread and thought it would be a really fun idea, that would be good for business, and help mix things up when doing the same old thing in the main arena starts to get boring.

The object of the game would be simple, capture the flag and get it back to your country's indestructible.  Once this objective is accomplished, the map resets and the game starts over again.  Maybe even keep stats as to the top flag getters and such.  A new map would have to be designed which would be really small and strategic.  Maybe only enable a few different types of airplanes, that don't carry much ordnance.   

I think this arena could be capped at 100-150 players.  You could autobalance the arena by making every tank in it Eny 3 or so, meaning that if Eny is out of whack just a little bit, you won't be able to drive your tank. 

To be honest, I don't really think I would play this set up that much since I'd much rather be flying, but I definitely would do it when things got boring in the MAz.  It would bring an entirely different strategic arcade type element to Aces High that would attract a lot of new customers.  Just figured I'd throw it out there for HiTech and anybody else to read and comment on, but I only see positives coming out of implementing something like this.

I should also add that I don't think this type of game play should take away from the Main Arena and WWII historical elements that it brings and the essence of Aces High.  I envision it as a fun little side game that would go a long way.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 02:47:58 PM by grizz441 »

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
Re: Capture the Flag
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 03:27:31 PM »
I agree.

It would be fun, entertaining, and heart-pounding. However, this sounds more like H2H material than Online Arena material.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline swareiam

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 03:56:37 PM »
It has sort of a AvA essense to it...
AKWarHwk of the Arabian Knights
Aces High Scenario, FSO, and Combat Challenge Teams
Don't let your ego get too close to your position, so that if your position gets shot down, your ego doesn't go with it. General Colin Powell

Offline mike254

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 09:00:28 PM »
That actually sounds like alot of fun.
This message transmitted on 100% recycled electrons.

I have a photographic memory. The only problem is that sometimes I forget to take off the lens cap.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 09:24:46 PM »
It sounds like a recipe for hording, when the focal point of a whole country is a single player or object.  Not that it couldn't be fun, but I don't expect players would have the discipline to keep it reasonably orderly..
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 10:28:07 PM »
It sounds like a recipe for hording, when the focal point of a whole country is a single player or object.  Not that it couldn't be fun, but I don't expect players would have the discipline to keep it reasonably orderly..

Well, that's why I suggested that there be a strict cap on the arena around 100 or so.  And if you make all the tanks Eny 3 or a similar concept, the arena will always be balanced, numbers wise... 33 players a side roughly.  Yes, it would be a lot of teamwork and defense.  I envision lots of hills and strategic points being taken that allows cover fire and such to be able to advance to certain areas to be able to make a push for the flag.  I think it's at least worth discussing.

Worst case scenario?  Nobody is able to capture the flag, but there is a lot of heart pumping tank action anyways.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 10:51:11 PM »
My bad, thought you meant for this CTF to include not just GVs but planes too.
I think terrain would need some work.. It'd be fun even without that though, so long as it didn't get carpet bombed.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 10:55:27 PM »
My bad, thought you meant for this CTF to include not just GVs but planes too.
I think terrain would need some work.. It'd be fun even without that though, so long as it didn't get carpet bombed.

Well I thought it might be good to have just a few planes enabled, that only carry like one bomb.  Not sure which planes those would be.  Just ideas floating around...

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 12:04:18 AM »
That is a great idea! Sign me up for a M8 spot, since I can't hit a tank unless it is at point blank range anyway.  :D
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline phatzo

• Gold Member
      • No Crying
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2009, 12:32:28 AM »
I rekon add planes. Bomtard the gv carrying the flag and then its a race to where the flag was dropped giving both sides the opportunity to pick it up. The team carrying the flag would need aircraft to defend their gv from other aircraft trying to bomb it. Without  aircraft we may as wel call halo.
Edit double negative
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

Offline stodd

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2009, 11:02:12 AM »
I like the idea alot!! :aok
Stodd/ CandyMan
I don't get why you even typed that, you know it's stupid.

Offline Belial

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2009, 09:10:52 PM »
It is a good idea and seems to be met with more +1's than my idea did soooo.

+1 :aok

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2009, 10:36:32 PM »
Check out SheGotYa's Sunday Night Scramble once in a while. Events are based off player suggestions/ideas. Belive there's been a CTF type game befpre in there.
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B