Author Topic: Why AHII is the BEST combat flight sim...  (Read 1614 times)

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
Why AHII is the BEST combat flight sim...
« on: November 09, 2008, 05:48:47 PM »
...Or at the very least the best one I've tried thus to far.

Reason #1. THE VIEWING SYSTEM!  :aok :rock :aok :rock

I can't stress this enough. Every time I try to play another combat sim besides AHII, I find myself missing the viewing system. This is the only sim I've ever tried that allows you to use buttons on your stick to track the bandit with anything resembling the ease of simply moving your head to track moving objects in the real world. While simultaneosly being able to maintain situational awareness in a multiple-bandit situation, the Achille's heel of all sorts of "padlock" viewing modes.

No matter how good in other respects different flight sims I've tried are, you always find yourself missing the the AHII viewing system and not being able to proceed about the business of maneuvering the airplane nearly as effeciently.

Reason #2. Readable instruments. You should be able to check your instruments with a glance at the forward view of your cockpit. AHII is almost unique amongst combat flight sims in actually being able to do this.

Speaking of instruments, the highly visible G-meter in AHII is a God-send. Even though most WWII airplanes didn't have them, it is entirely appropriate to mount a G indicator in any sim cockpit, to make up for the lack of physical feeling of G forces. Same goes for the audible angle of attack indicator, or stall-horn we have. Without the subtly input of control feel, entirely appropriate to model it into a sim.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
Re: Why AHII is the BEST combat flight sim...
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 05:49:53 PM »
Double post deleted.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 05:52:58 PM by BnZs »
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline RumbleB

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 06:40:57 PM »
oh I thought it was because of the excellent political debates.

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 07:20:53 PM »
And AH has actually made it's updated planes look good. I almost cant stand WarBirds planes because of how old they look. I like the AH fact where I can look out at my wing and go, "geeze, that looks good"

Even with the non-updated planes...
No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline Enker

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 10:17:43 PM »
That, and it puts other costly flight sims to shame with its simple online system and helpful community.
InGame ID: Cairn
Quote from: BillyD topic=283300.msg3581799#msg3581799
... FOR TEH MUPPET$ TO PAD OUR SCO?E N to WIN TEH EPIC WAR OF TEH UNIVERSE We MUST VULTCHE DA RUNWAYZ N DROP UR GUYZ FIGHTERZ Bunkarz Then OUR SKWAD will Finarry Get TACTICAL NOOK for 25 KILL SCORE  STREAK>X

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 11:41:19 PM »
That, and it puts other costly flight sims to shame with its simple online system and helpful community.

A lot of the time, the community isn't anything near helpful. :salute
No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 03:45:28 AM »
One of the best gaming community's and film viewer for me.  :aok

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 04:31:53 AM »
I've never played any other online game or flight sim. What hooked me is the level of competition of players from all over the world. Pitting my skills against an actual person sitting in his home in London, Sidney, or Berlin perhaps. When I was a kid growing up, PONG wasn't even around yet. So this is pretty cool to me. :salute
Lighten up Francis

Offline bmwgs

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 05:22:14 AM »
Once I found 200 Text., I was hooked.  Better than TV....Sometimes I just sit and watch the text trying not to fall out of my chair laughing.

Just my opinion,

Fred
One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine, is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine... - From a Soviet Junior Lt's Notebook

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 06:12:44 AM »
Once I found 200 Text., I was hooked.  Better than TV....Sometimes I just sit and watch the text trying not to fall out of my chair laughing.

Just my opinion,

Fred
Been there done that! :rofl
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Enker

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2008, 08:31:41 PM »
fine:
That, and it puts other costly flight sims to shame with its simple online system and helpful-ish community.
InGame ID: Cairn
Quote from: BillyD topic=283300.msg3581799#msg3581799
... FOR TEH MUPPET$ TO PAD OUR SCO?E N to WIN TEH EPIC WAR OF TEH UNIVERSE We MUST VULTCHE DA RUNWAYZ N DROP UR GUYZ FIGHTERZ Bunkarz Then OUR SKWAD will Finarry Get TACTICAL NOOK for 25 KILL SCORE  STREAK>X

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2008, 08:46:45 PM »

I beg to differ. The community is often very helpful....it simply has a low tolerance for fools.  :salute

NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline IronDog

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2008, 09:30:28 PM »
AH at the current time is made up mostly of veteran sticks from Air Warrior,War Birds,and some from the beta days of AH.AH has survived,and is now the only decent combat flightsim.The old vets have made this flightsim what it is today.
IronDog

Offline Jing0

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2008, 10:14:53 PM »
Aces High is made entirely of awesome and win  :salute

Offline phatzo

• Gold Member
      • No Crying
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2008, 10:24:46 PM »
australian time zone weekday evening

Targetware 1 player what the hell fuel tank am I even on

Warbirds   7 players and dropping

Aces High   100+ players

thats good maths in my reading
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.