Author Topic: new laptop - some feedback  (Read 274 times)

Offline wrongwayric

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
new laptop - some feedback
« on: November 10, 2008, 10:43:26 AM »
Well i finally got one and to say that the game suffers is an understatement. :( They biggest problem seems to stem from the graphics just not being up to par with a home system. I knew this going into the purchase and was prepared to be disappointed so it wasn't a shock.
Now in my search to find any type of solution a came across this on line and would be curious if anyone has a similar setup and if it works? Seems to me that this might be a fairly affordable way to improve my video with the laptop. Since i'm a truck driver space is an issue so the laptop gives me the ability to use a cp on the road without taking up a lot of space. Now if this setup i have listed here works i could make room in the truck to add it on. The system is from Magma-Express Box at www.magma.com check it out and see what you think. I'm looking at the 2 pci slot one but the 4 slot is attractive also.

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
Re: new laptop - some feedback
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 10:49:51 AM »
The cheapest thing I saw on that site for the laptops was $700.  Is this really worth it?  What are the specs of your laptop (model #?)? 

I remember hearing about this a year or so ago.  You may want to check this out from Asus.
http://www.asus.com/news_show.aspx?id=5369
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline wrongwayric

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 11:13:16 AM »
Yea sounds very good only one problem, they only support Asus laptops and motherboards so far. :cry I have a gateway with intel. :cry

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 12:11:16 PM »
Yeah I didn't look at that Asus link very much, but remembered hearing about it.  Everything I've found is a big no, other than the Magna thing.  But $750 + video card seems like quite the expense.  Laptops are just too integrated and do not offer a lot of upgrade options outside of RAM and hard drive.  Can't fit that chevy small block v8 in that 1982 Yugo.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either