Author Topic: The new guy, day 3  (Read 1536 times)

Offline SkyTiger

• Copper Member
The new guy, day 3
« on: November 11, 2008, 08:11:33 AM »
Day 3

Day 3 marked a change in tempo in the war for me. I scored more kills on day 3 than I did during the first two days combined.

I started off the afternoon in a Hurricane IIC around Airbase 5 fighting off the "rook horde" as friendlies in the area dubbed them. The Rooks had a definate advantage in altitude as much of the combat was taking place just east of the base and we had little time to climb before we were stuck into the action.

Several Rook aircraft were on the deck in a nasty dogfight while two or three more remained up high waiting for a chance to bounce someone.

As I arrived on the scene, I saw a friendly pass by left to right at about 500 range. A second later, an enemy NIK zoomed through in chase mode. I fired a short burst into the path of the NIK at <400 and got lucky. The nose of the NIK flipped up into the air as his tail was shot away. I watched him spin into the sea and was immedietly rammed by the NIK's squadronmate. I went down.

I reupped in another Hurricane and decided to head a little westward before turning east with some altitude in my pocket. Before I could get back into the furball I ran into a flight of B-17 bombers flying towards our base. I made a gentle turn to conserve energy and came down on the 17s from 5 o-clock. At >500 I fired short bursts on the rightmost bomber in the formation, using it to shield myself from most of the return fire from the other bombers.

As I closed to 300 I tried to focus my bursts on the wing joint with the fuselage, but I missed and hit his tail, which knocked the elevators off. As he nosed up out of control I moved on to the center aircraft which was already damaged and smoking. I fired at the fuselage as I passed over and then went into a dive, regaining some energy and allowing the B-17s to pass by overhead. I pulled up hard and saw there was only one bomber left. I emptied my magazines into his belly as he rattled my engine with return fire. The B-17 blew up as my engine was knocked out. I was forced to land without engine power but luckily I was close enough to home that this was done without difficulty.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
Re: The new guy, day 3
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 08:32:19 AM »
sounds like fun, bombers cost alot of ammo and parts for the three kills you get, i usualy leave them alone  :uhoh
trusty hurr2c made it though, nicely done that man.

:rock
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline SkyTiger

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 08:35:09 AM »
Evening

I returned to the action later in the evening. This time we were attacking an enemy base. Or trying to anyway, as we never officially made it over the airfield. Swarms of enemy fighters came out to meet us over the water, which was fine by me.

I was flying an A6M Zeke with 50% fuel and a centerline droptank. By the time I reached the combat zone I was at about 13k altitude and found myself a little bit above the action. There were a dozen planes in a furball below me so I disengaged my droptank and dove in to get engaged.

I got onto the tail of a smoking 109 and finished it off immedietly, gaining an assist. I then got dove on by a P-51 and was forced to manuver towards the enemy pack. This singled me out I suppose, as I immedietly got jumped by a C205 and a Spitfire. I made broad, reversing turns to slow them down and avoid getting popped as I made my way back towards friendlier skies. A group of friendlies dove in and broke them up, and I turned to get onto the tail of the Spitfire. A friendly pumped him full of ammo but was unable to hang into the turn and lost him. I finished the Spitfire off with a deflection burst at <200 for another assist.

I was feeling my oats by now and didn't panic as a Yak-9 tried to jump me from above and behind. I went into a split-S and slid under him, denying him an attack. He pulled up very hard to avoid hitting the water and may have blacked out, as he just flew along the wavetops for a moment in a slight turn. I followed him for a moment and he turned back. We made a head-on pass, but I didn't fire and instead weaved back and forth, trying to get him to burn energy tracking me. It seemed to work as he passed by me, his tracers missing by a mile. I looked over my shoulder and saw the Yak turning hard so I climbed into an Immelman and came down on him.

I pulled up early to avoid an overshoot and cut my engine power. I fired bursts at <400 and <300, clipping pieces off of his wings until he banked. I fired a deflection burst straight into his cockpit and he spun in.

I looked back and saw a Spitfire on me a moment later. I climbed and realized I'd stall quickly so I kept pulling on the stick. We both entered a loop with him chasing me and leveled out a couple of hundred feet over the water. High above us, friendlies and enemies continued to dogfight as the Spitfire remained hard on my tail. I tried S-turns, trying to shake him off or get him to lose enough energy that I could force him into a turn fight.

The Spitfire matched me each time and I finally entered a hard turn. I looked at the Spitfire and was suprised to see him pulling enough lead for a deflection shot. He missed and we continued the turn. He again pulled some lead, but I think he didn't fire. Realizing I was losing this fight, I tried a very slow rolling scissor, which he hung in with. We circled several times before I managed to get behind him. I fired right into his fuselage but immedietly ran out of cannon ammunition, getting perhaps only 2 or 4 shots into him with it.

He reversed, and I fired my machine guns into him again but could only hit the opposite wing. I rolled over him as he seemed to stall out in the hard bank turn and looked down to see him run out of energy and crash into the waves!

I thanked my stars and got the heck out of there, staying low to avoid attention. That mission netted me 2 kills and 2 assists.

Major <S> to LYNX who was piloting the Spitfire. Never seen one turn so well against my Zeke before.

Offline SkyTiger

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 08:36:03 AM »
sounds like fun, bombers cost alot of ammo and parts for the three kills you get, i usualy leave them alone  :uhoh
trusty hurr2c made it though, nicely done that man.

:rock

:rofl

I sure paid for it. Lost my engine, had holes all over my wings and if it hadn't been near the base, it would've been really hairy.

Offline shreck

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 08:39:52 AM »
This game is just plain fun,-----> isn't it ?   :D    WTG

Offline SkyTiger

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 08:43:33 AM »
This game is just plain fun,-----> isn't it ?   :D    WTG

I'm loving it.  :D

I've also been seeing commercials for AHII on the History Channel all morning. Dogfights is on.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 08:47:26 AM »
And for us poor souls who decided not to have a TV in our house, there is always Dogfights on youtube to rot our brains with!
could life be any better?
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline SkyTiger

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 09:56:35 AM »
And for us poor souls who decided not to have a TV in our house, there is always Dogfights on youtube to rot our brains with!
could life be any better?

:) They're opening the arena for "Titanic Tuesday" now. This should be interesting.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 09:58:28 AM »
bless.

you better take your hard hat son and a spare parachute.  :aok

the hordes a comming
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline SkyTiger

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 10:01:01 AM »
bless.

you better take your hard hat son and a spare parachute.  :aok

the hordes a comming

I should probably put my Hurricane away and stick to the Zeke then? I love the Hurri but it has a much smaller operation envelope and less options.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 10:07:11 AM »
you should be ok for a couple of hours yet,

Just try to avoid the one sided vulch fests,  Some fights can get out of control really quickly so it will be good for your SA to try and stay alive.

The zero and Hurri are both slow, turnable planes,  If you feel the need for speed you might have to get something a little quicker.  You sound like a guy that appreciates a good fight, try not to lose any of your enthusiasm when you get ganged/picked/HOed.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 10:14:01 AM »
wtg for a new guy/or anyone killing lynx...nice work :D
 :salute Jimmy
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline SkyTiger

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 10:37:15 AM »
wtg for a new guy/or anyone killing lynx...nice work :D
 :salute Jimmy

I asked his permission to mention his name after our fight. I didn't want it to seem like I was coming on here to brag or anything. I'm humbled that I was responsible for him going down and he gave me my most challenging fight yet.

:aok

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2008, 11:25:35 AM »
"sounds like fun, bombers cost alot of ammo and parts for the three kills you get"

this is the reason LW did a front high attack on buffs - shooting into vulnerable parts of the front of the machine.
you will very seldom get hit and normally a good salvo ruin the bombers day.

My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline BigR

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2008, 11:32:02 AM »