Author Topic: Ta152  (Read 2117 times)

Offline FLOTSOM

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr
Re: Ta152
« Reply #60 on: November 14, 2008, 04:26:16 PM »
262's have landing gear?????!!!!!!!!!!!!

DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

why didnt anyone tell me this before??!!!!!
FLOTSOM

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!
Quote from Skuzzy
"The game is designed to encourage combat, not hide from it."
http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr

Offline ColSuave

• Copper Member
« Reply #61 on: November 14, 2008, 07:25:23 PM »
262's have landing gear?????!!!!!!!!!!!!

DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

why didnt anyone tell me this before??!!!!!

pfft i suck so bad in 262s ive only landed one sortie in one and i didnt have any kills. Most of the time i dont even get to the landing gear part. :cry they are perks wasted for me
the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline AKHog

• Nickel Member
« Reply #62 on: November 14, 2008, 11:53:39 PM »
Because we like to simulate flight?

You play aces high because you like to simulate landings? There are better flight simulators for that. AH is about ACM and WW2 era combat. In real life a Cessna 152, tricycle gear trainer, one of the easiest planes to land in existence, is many times harder to land than the most demanding planes in the game... which in real life were some of the most demanding planes to land in existence. Landing on gear in game is only burning time. If you think your simulating a real life landing you are selling yourself short.

I'm not dissing the game, just pointing out its not exactly a landing simulator. I'd rather spend the time fighting.
The journey is the destination.

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2008, 12:07:34 AM »
You play aces high because you like to simulate landings? There are better flight simulators for that. AH is about ACM and WW2 era combat. In real life a Cessna 152, tricycle gear trainer,  one of the easiest planes to land in existence, is many times harder to land than the most demanding planes in the game...

Funny, my Dad has trouble flying with sims...if he had any trouble at all landing his 175, I wouldn't be riding with him.  :D Could be his utter lack of interests in computers though.

which in real life were some of the most demanding planes to land in existence.

You know, few months back I read an article in the AOPA rag by a fellow who made his P-51 solo in an old preserved bird, "Cottonmouth". He reported there was less "dancing" involved keeping it tracking straight down the runway than with a T-6 or even a Cub. Several times I've read that same comment about the T-6 being trickier to take off and land than the P-51.

Landing on gear in game is only burning time. If you think your simulating a real life landing you are selling yourself short.

I'm not dissing the game, just pointing out its not exactly a landing simulator. I'd rather spend the time fighting.

We've all used the "belly brake" method when we wanted to get stopped and tower quick (likely to avoid the possibility of vulch) but I want claim it isn't gamey or inelegant. And the Ta-152 is one AH airplane that actually does constitute a challenge to put on the runway and stop without ground-looping.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 12:17:25 AM by BnZs »
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline 33Vortex

• Platinum Member
      • Dirac's equation (non truncated)
« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2008, 05:35:49 AM »
When landing the Ta152, you just need to use flaps and put it down slow enough that it stays on the ground when you pull up to fixate the tailwheel. Voila, no ground looping. You could force it down by taking in the flaps a notch, or take them in as you set it down to make sure it stays down. Why so many people have problems landing it I have no idea, perhaps because they use autotrim or stall limiter?

GameID: Turner
Truth has no agenda.

Offline AKHog

• Nickel Member
« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2008, 11:06:05 AM »
Funny, my Dad has trouble flying with sims...if he had any trouble at all landing his 175, I wouldn't be riding with him.  :D Could be his utter lack of interests in computers though.

Or it could be that he was taught to land a Cessna properly and the computer game is nothing like what he was taught in real life. Your comment is in general agreement with mine, that landing in rl is not at all like on the sim. I'll agree the sim isn't hands down easier than real life, its just that they are so different. Landing a sim requires video game skills. While your dad can't do it, I bet there are kids who grew up playing video games that could nail it with no real flight experience. Real life is a lot different, especially in a taildragger, where a big part of a good landing comes from the 'seat-of-the-pants' feeling of yaw.

I agree that landing on the belly is a little gamey, but that is not what this sim is about. Just like the unrealistic radar, autopilots, lack of wind or weather, auto takeoff, auto trim, the list goes on. The point is this sim is about ACM and WW2 era combat. If you want to practice approaches I suggest Microsoft flight simulator or something like that. If you want to practice actual landings, no sim really even comes close enough to qualify as practice.

The journey is the destination.

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
« Reply #66 on: November 15, 2008, 06:50:08 PM »
When landing the Ta152, you just need to use flaps and put it down slow enough that it stays on the ground when you pull up to fixate the tailwheel. Voila, no ground looping. You could force it down by taking in the flaps a notch, or take them in as you set it down to make sure it stays down. Why so many people have problems landing it I have no idea, perhaps because they use autotrim or stall limiter?

I use auto-trim, it's not that.

It seems that people seem to have trouble getting the tail down and keeping it down.

Or perhaps they are impatient and try to land too fast. Fast landings in the 152 increase the possibility of a ground loop in the 152, I find. The slower you are when the gear touches the ground, the less aggressive it is if you let the tail go and find the nose starting to hunt across the runway.

Flaps, flaps, flaps, just above stall, nice and gentle. That's the key.

For those who struggle, get full flaps out, gear down and aim for the start of the runway. Get as low as you can without touching down and maintain level flight just above the runway. If you can manage that nicely just ease throttle off and increase you elevator input in accordance with throttle... like the clutch and accelerator just after a gear change in a car. If you get that right, you won't even bounce when you touch down and as you're already pulling back on the stick, the tail wheel should already be locked.
Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #67 on: November 15, 2008, 06:51:46 PM »
I've found that the Ta152 is actually pretty easy to land with differential brakes. Rudder never works for me, though.