Author Topic: Thinking of playing  (Read 1219 times)

Offline LordHumungus

• Zinc Member
Thinking of playing
« on: November 12, 2008, 02:58:12 PM »
Hello all,
Am an old school vet of WB's and want to try AH as I have been out of the sim loop for quite some time but AH seems like the better, more populated game(more like the WBs of old, v 1.66 I believe was my fave).

I have it running offline and have my pedals/stick set up for the most part.   

Are there any websites I can check out besides this for more info on the game?

Whats the country setup like and is there an underpopulated side?

Are all planes available for all sides?

Thanks and I hope to be up in the skies soon.

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
Re: Thinking of playing
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 03:18:49 PM »
LH,

You'll find a lot of people here came from Brand W or Brand AW. You might even run across old friends from Warbirds.
If you look at the links section of the AH website it will refer you to some good but dated ones like Soda's aircraft comparisons, or Hammer's Net Aces site which is very good. There's really no difference to what chess peice country you fly with. You might bounce around until you find a side, group of guys, or a squad that appeals to you. Population on sides vary but it seems Bishops usually have the most.

Yes all the planes are available for all sides expect in the AVa Axis vs Allied Arena, or in one of the Special Events Arenas. Welcome aboard, I hope this answers some of your questions.
<S>
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 03:20:22 PM by Shifty »

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 03:21:05 PM »
Countries are Rook, Bishop, and Knights. There is mostly a balence except for when a side is winning the war. ENY kicks in on the high numbers side and basically makes the perk planes outrageously expensive and soon starts to disable 5 ENY planes and up.
All planes are available for each side, except the Me163 which is only enabled at one base for each country, nearest to the HQ.

http://www.netaces.org is a fantastic website for info from the basics to the most complicated.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline SkyTiger

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 03:22:06 PM »
Hello all,
Am an old school vet of WB's and want to try AH as I have been out of the sim loop for quite some time but AH seems like the better, more populated game(more like the WBs of old, v 1.66 I believe was my fave).

I have it running offline and have my pedals/stick set up for the most part.   

Are there any websites I can check out besides this for more info on the game?

Whats the country setup like and is there an underpopulated side?

Are all planes available for all sides?

Thanks and I hope to be up in the skies soon.

Just don't do well during your first week and most certainly don't talk about it if you do. You'll get flamed in a major way.  :confused:

Offline LordHumungus

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 03:29:04 PM »
I've seen perks mentioned...what are these and how are they implemented?

Skytiger I have been reading your posts. Keep up the flying, sounds better than I will be when I start.

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 03:32:12 PM »

Skytiger I have been reading your posts. Keep up the flying, sounds better than I will be when I start.

Best explantion is here http://www.hitechcreations.com/ahhelp/perks.html . If I tried to tell you how it worked we'd  both be confused. :D

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 03:39:10 PM »
Best thing to do is jump on the 2 week free trial. No credit card required. Jump into the fray and get a taste of the action. What's to lose?

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 03:42:27 PM »
Yeah, the 2week no credit card trial is awesome.  Hitech Creations obviously knows that you will be hooked so they offer that deal haha

Offline Yippee38

• Copper Member
      • http://www.cutthroats.com
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 04:02:49 PM »

Without getting into too much detail, you get points for doing stuff.  If you fly a fighter, you get points for getting kills and assists.  Bombers get points for bombing stuff (actually hitting it).  Attack gets points for damaging stuff.  Same for tanks.  If you land a mission, you get full points.  If you die, you lose some percentage of what you earned.  Some of the more powerful equipment in the game is "perked".  That means you need to have a certain amount of perk points (perkies) to up that equipment.  That's what uses the points up.  Oh yeah, strength of your vehicle vs. the enemy vehicle adjusts how many perks you get.  So if you're in a Val and you shoot down an Me-262, you'll get way more than if you were in Tempest.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2008, 04:07:46 PM »
Just don't do well during your first week and most certainly don't talk about it if you do. You'll get flamed in a major way.  :confused:

Ignore what the flamers say and continue to have fun. 

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2008, 04:12:22 PM »
Ignore what the flamers say and continue to have fun. 

ack-ack

used to that?
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Offline A8HatTrick

• Copper Member
      • YouTube
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2008, 08:57:19 PM »
-htrk- here. Old Farts and -=RF=- Red Falcons City of Krakow. 1995-1999. Did the Convention in Charlotte and DC.

Anyway, you will find -fdski- and -frodo- and a few others still lurking about Aces High.

It is not War Birds however. The flight models are easier here, the community is far less knowledgable on the whole than alt.games.warbirds was as far as Aircraft and the like. But that is mostly due to the fact of the sheer numbers of players here.

Spend a little time on the boards and you will realize that 80% of the topics are not about the ballistic characteristics of the 20mm olerikon MG FF Cannon of the BF110 that someone dug up out of a book... instead its about "I was vulched!" and "so and so is a dweeb squeaker".

But there are some very knowledgable and friendly folks around, just have to look for them.

The game play is a hybrid mix of the Instant Action arena and the main arena from WB. But no rolling plane sets, and Hi Tech did a far better model for base captures.

Obviously the graphics are far better, and the flight models are mushy and overly forgiving, but it is a different set of clientelle here. And the guy does have to make a living after all.

Overall, to  be honest..... its your only choice really.  IL2 and Falcon 4.0 are community supported games that rely on small servers created and maintained by gamers.  If you want Sim Combat in a Massively Multiplayer format, Aces High is the only thing there is.

So go ahead and blow a few bucks, take your time finding a decent squadron, and check out some of the excellent special events this game features.

It will scratch your itch just fine.
A8HatTrick flying WWII sims since 1992
Aces and 8's A8's http://a8s.us aka A8hatrik
-htrk- War Birds Beta .07 thru 2.1
-=Old Farts=- War Birds "Yo Frodo!"
No 308(Polish)Squadron RAF "City of Cracow"  "Yo fdski!"

Offline BiPoLaR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2008, 09:18:59 PM »
Forget about the flamers. They are mad because a new guy can beat them. Just have fun with it  :aok
R.I.P. T.E.Moore (Dad) 9-9-45 - 7-16-10.
R.I.P. Wes Poss  (Best Friend) 11-14-75 - 5-2-14

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2008, 07:34:41 AM »
lol..the drunkest muppet  :lol :salute
Lighten up Francis

Offline Sloehand

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2008, 12:20:10 PM »
To help clarify.

There are four Main Arenas:  Early War, Mid-War and two Late War.  As their names imply, the plane set for Early War is limited to such period equipment as Spit I, Hurri I, P-40B, P-38G, and so on.  Mid-War includes more rides, while both the late war arenas have the full plane set available.  This format impacts bombers, attack fighters and ground vehicles as well.

There is the Training Arena where the "kill" function is disabled for training purposes.  You can contact a Training Corps instructor there for most any kind of assistance about ACM or the game itself.

The Dueling Arena has a contineous furball area and sets of bases where personal 1v1 challenges can be conducted, or squad level practise or games.  Here you can kill your opponent, but there is no real scoring involved.

The AvA arena as mentioned above.

And the Special Events Arenas #1 and #2.  Here, dedicated players called CM's conduct a variety of scheduled events such as :

Snapshots - small, fairly short (2 hours) loosly historical match ups.  Done as a pickup game with no pre-registration on most Wednesday and Thursday nights.  At a 'guess' probably under 100 players at a time.

Friday Squad Operations (FSO) - Run 3 Fridays of every month for two hours, the 3 nights (or Frames) define a historical battle such as Midway (currently running) with as close to the historical plane set as possible.  This is a more structured event that requires players to be listed as members of a defined squad where number of players are closely managed.  No walkons the night of are allowed. Squads are shuffled around between Allies and Axis for each new FSO event.  The side's C.O. for a specific night comes from a different squad each night.  Orders are developed by each side and sent out 1-2 days in advance, based on targets and rules given for that FSO.  Often runs well over 200, even 300 players a night, and each pilot has only one life.

Scenarios - Granddaddy of them all.  The largest, most intense and imersive historical battle format.   Similar to FSO, but even more structured and planned, it is an all-round expansion of the gameplay.  It occurs only 3 or 4 times a year, lasting over 5 Saturday afternoons (1 Beta or Practise Frame, and 4 actual event Frames) for up to 3 hours.
With all the advance time in planning, organizing and strategizing, it can be the focus of attention for many pilots for two or three months.  Where the FSO squads can be named anything by the players (such as an actual Main Arena squad or something made up for the FSO), the Scenario extends the experience with a roster of historical Allied and Axis squads and aircraft that participated in the particular battle being re-created.  Group Leaders volunteer early to lead each squadron throughout the event.
Axis and Allied C.O.'s are picked at the very beginning and then negotiate details of the Scenario rules and start to fill their rosters.  Individual pilots register well in advance as Axis or Allied and much friendly, pre-event smack talk occurs over the Forum boards.  Those registering early usually get to select the squad and ride they prefer.  Unlike FSO's, walkons are welcomed the day of, and time is spent just prior to the start of each Frame getting them integrated across the Axis and Allied squads.
Orders for each Frame for each squad are given the week of by the C.O. and his staff and each squad carries out usually two missions per Frame.  Scoring for enemy planes killed, planes lost, targets hits is totaled at the end to determine the side winner.  A scenario can easily have 150 to over 200 pilots per side, often with two lives available in each Frame.
Currently the Battle Of Britain will continue with Frame 3 this week.

Aces High eXtreme Racing League (AHXRL) - 13 race seasons, 4 seasons per year plus championship races, held every Tuesday night.  Individual and Team scoring for three heats each night with a specific aircraft over a developed race course.

King Of The Hill (KOTH) - Usually scheduled once and sometimes twice a week, pilots generally just showup and join in.  With a very specific set of flight and game rules, it is basically a free-for-all, last man standing dogfight.  First pilot to win three such fights is King of the Hill.

Sunday Night Scramble (SNS) - another historically based battle format, but organized around specific missions usually with only one life avaiable.  A walkon event that is a little larger than Snapshots, but not ususally as massive as FSO's or with as much rule structure.
Jagdgeschwader 77

"You sleep safe in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do you harm."  - George Orwell
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin