Author Topic: The "BORED" bug  (Read 1968 times)

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
Re: The "BORED" bug
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2008, 01:03:17 AM »
What is boring is sortie after sortie fighting the same planes.  I am soooooo bored of fighting spit16's ....La7's ....P51's ....Fw190d's sortie after sortie.  Meanwhile  I'm flying earlier rides which causes me to get gang banged by La7's ...Spit16's....P51's....fw190d's ...every sortie.  Last night I flew a 109g2.....La5 ...Ki-84 ....p40e and a p39q.   On the p39 run I had two spit 16's ...two la7's and one P51d gang me .....boring!!

The player's in this game are what is boring.  Why players don't get tired flying the latest and best planes every mission is beyond me.  I can understand flying these birds sometimes ....but sortie after sortie?

100% of this game's problems are the people who play it.  For me every mission is the same, because I fight the same enemy planes every run.  Not only do the players fly nothing but the best....then they gang me again...and again.  To be frank this crap is slowly pushing me out the door.

The game provides us with a wonderful list of planes to fly ...there is little point in HTC developing any new planes because nobody fly's them.  For all the Public support the p39 got ...do you ever see one? ...or better yet do you fly any?? ....I didn't even vote for the damn thing, yet I fly it ( I was one of the lowly 6% that voted for something Japanese ...don't get me started of that)

After carefully thinking over last nights sorties I only saw 3 planes the whole night that were not Spit16's ....La7's ....P51's and Fw190d's.  I saw a zeke5...a Hurri-c and a La5.  Since the Hurri-c and the zeke5 are super turners they are pretty ordinary as well.  Only the la5 pilot brought some "color" to game. To him I say horrah!! ...and thanks to him for having some "stones" in his sack,  I had more fun!!

I'm very discouraged ...and bored with all this ...sadly

Helm ...out

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,246499.0.html

Would fix the players and therefore the problem.
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline trotter

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2008, 01:26:01 AM »
Boilerdown: I'll repeat my earlier praise for your idea, above, it really is a great one. The name in lights factor drives people to the EXTREME in this game. Those 3 seconds (text buffer speed dependent) give them such joy. Unfortunately it makes the game a lot lamer for the rest of us, which brings me to my second point...

Helm: You're absolutely right about plane selection. The same planes, all the time. Do you know how rarely I even see a Spit8 or Spit9 anymore??? EVERY spit is a 16. EVERY 190 is a D9. We have all these planes, and people continually fly the fastest models so that they can escape when needed to go get their name in lights. I'm really starting to think that just abolishing the Landed kills message entirely, and abolishing score entirely, would be what is best for the game. We would still see inordinate number of LA's, but I think there are a lot of fence sitters who only fly the fastest planes now because of the irresistible urge to have people say WTG to them, who would start pursuing their avionic interests instead if that hope of everlasting fame were taken away.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2008, 02:30:55 AM »

Helm: You're absolutely right about plane selection. The same planes, all the time. Do you know how rarely I even see a Spit8 or Spit9 anymore??? EVERY spit is a 16. EVERY 190 is a D9.

A classic example how perception (and opinion) can differ from actual LW MA gameplay ;)
Plane selection hasn't become worse over the last 3 years (since I started to play), au contraire: The once so ever dominant La-7 has become much more rare than it once had been.

Every Spit a Spit 16? Hardly:
Spitfire Mk I      162   kills 593 deaths   
Spitfire Mk IX     3883   kills 3733 deaths   
Spitfire Mk V      597   kills 1086 deaths
Spitfire Mk VIII   3771 kills 3906 deaths
Spitfire Mk XIV   565 kills 360 deaths
Spitfire Mk XVI   11864   kills 11041 deaths

Spit 16 does have ~56% of all Spitfire kills and  ~53% of all Spitfire deaths.

Every 190 a D-9?
Fw 190A-5   1659 kills 1606 deaths
Fw 190A-8   3973 kills 3742 deaths   
Fw 190D-9   3776 kills 2816 deaths   
Fw 190F-8   550 kills 866 deaths

190D-9 has ~ 38% of all 190 kills and ~ 31% of all 190 deaths - and that is even with the TA 152 excluded. Note that the A8 has actually more kills & deaths than the D9...

(all data current LW tour)

Sometimes I just wonder why I rarely see complains about the increasing number of P-51's - more kills & deaths than any other plane by far, and with a K/D not worse than Spit 16  :noid

EDIT:

I might also add that the type of plane you usually encounter is also very much depending on your own playing style.
Someone taking part in mostly offensive actions (be it for "fun" or the landgrab) or merrily furballing between two close airfields will see a lot more Spit 16's and La-7s than someone mostly defending airbases. I'm doing mostly the latter one, and that' why I see much less 16's and La's than their actual share in total arena play is.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 02:52:46 AM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2008, 02:49:37 AM »
See Rules #5, #7
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 04:00:15 PM by Skuzzy »
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2008, 10:23:09 AM »

Sometimes I just wonder why I rarely see complains about the increasing number of P-51's - more kills & deaths than any other plane by far, and with a K/D not worse than Spit 16  :noid

Because almost every fighter plane in the game can out-turn it except the 190 series, thus most players don't see it as a threat aside from picking in them? Because the Spit16 can make a relatively noobish player somewhat dangerous while all most noobs can do in the P-51 is run to the far horizon or die ignominiously?

I might also add that the type of plane you usually encounter is also very much depending on your own playing style.
Someone taking part in mostly offensive actions (be it for "fun" or the landgrab) or merrily furballing between two close airfields will see a lot more Spit 16's and La-7s than someone mostly defending airbases. I'm doing mostly the latter one, and that' why I see much less 16's and La's than their actual share in total arena play is.

That is why the most fun thing to do with a bnz plane is NOT generally "base taking", or,  lets go ahead and say it, vulching, but "incoming horde interception". In those circumstances a P-47 pilot for instance can get the chance to fight a Fw-190 at 15K, instead of fighting Spit16s 3 feet off the deck in ack.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline trotter

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2008, 11:35:27 AM »
A classic example how perception (and opinion) can differ from actual LW MA gameplay ;)
Plane selection hasn't become worse over the last 3 years (since I started to play), au contraire: The once so ever dominant La-7 has become much more rare than it once had been.

Every Spit a Spit 16? Hardly:
Spitfire Mk I      162   kills 593 deaths   
Spitfire Mk IX     3883   kills 3733 deaths   
Spitfire Mk V      597   kills 1086 deaths
Spitfire Mk VIII   3771 kills 3906 deaths
Spitfire Mk XIV   565 kills 360 deaths
Spitfire Mk XVI   11864   kills 11041 deaths

Spit 16 does have ~56% of all Spitfire kills and  ~53% of all Spitfire deaths.

Every 190 a D-9?
Fw 190A-5   1659 kills 1606 deaths
Fw 190A-8   3973 kills 3742 deaths   
Fw 190D-9   3776 kills 2816 deaths   
Fw 190F-8   550 kills 866 deaths

190D-9 has ~ 38% of all 190 kills and ~ 31% of all 190 deaths - and that is even with the TA 152 excluded. Note that the A8 has actually more kills & deaths than the D9...

(all data current LW tour)

There is an inherent fallacy in those statistics. Can you name it?

It's simple: people who play this game very very frequently tend to
a) Choose a plane off the beaten path
b) more importantly...rack up both a lot of kills and deaths in those planes.

Just them, that one "hardcore" gamer is responsible for, say something like 600% more kills and 300% more deaths in their plane of choice (a less frequent MA plane) than a typical casual player is in their plane of choice.

Let's break down the numbers to demonstrate this.

Let's say there are only 10 players who fly in a tour.

Players # 1-8 fly the Spit 16 and LA-7 exclusively. Each player averages about 4 hours a tour, and during those 4 hours they each get 10 kills in a Spit 16 and 10 kills in a LA-7. So, players 1-8 give the tour overall kills in Spit16 of 80, and overall kills in LA-7 of 80.

Players #9 and #10 fly the P-40B exclusively. They have a little more time to fly than the casual players #1-8, so players 9 and 10 each play 8 hours in a tour. Players #9 and #10 are also a little more skilled than the first 8 players, so in those 8 each hours they each get 80 kills in the P40B.

Now let's look at the overall kill tally for this arena during this particular tour.
Kills In:
Spit 16   80
LA-7      80
P-40B    160

Wow, every plane you see in this arena must be a P-40B, right???

Well, no, of course. The far more frequent planes you will encounter are Spit16s and LA-7s. After all, 8 of the 10 players who play in this arena fly ONLY them. Even though each of the P40 pilots flies twice as much as each of the Spit/LA pilots, there are simply too many more Spit/LA pilots and you will more frequently see those planes in the skies of this example.

So Lusche I see what you're trying to imply, but the statistics you stated are simply not adequate to dispel my observation. I'm not saying that I'm not wrong, I'm just saying that more statistics are needed.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2008, 11:53:21 AM »
A)
And that's why I also listed the deaths :)

B) My example is perfectly fine suited to rebutt the "every Spit is a 16 and every 190 is a D-9" claims
Showing kills & deaths is simply a kind of "event" count in the MA's.  Also you can easily observe the shifting in numbers over the tours... which show the overall impact of a plane on MA gameplay. And in the last 3 years, P51D's kills have risen considerably in numbers, and 16's and La's did drop.

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline trotter

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2008, 12:17:50 PM »
A)
And that's why I also listed the deaths :)

B) My example is perfectly fine suited to rebutt the "every Spit is a 16 and every 190 is a D-9" claims
Showing kills & deaths is simply a kind of "event" count in the MA's.  Also you can easily observe the shifting in numbers over the tours... which show the overall impact of a plane on MA gameplay. And in the last 3 years, P51D's kills have risen considerably in numbers, and 16's and La's did drop.

I'll give you observation of shifting numbers in tours, but that's about it for this case. I didn't include deaths because I assumed you could extrapolate the fact that I could have given pilots 9 and 10 either a propensity to stay alive, or propensity to die a lot. It's irrelevant, it would not have changed one bit the number of relative sorties flown by pilots 9 and 10.

And if you are taking my use of the word "every" to constitute grounds for my believing that no sorties whatsoever are flown in an A-5...I think you know that is a bit ridiculous.

Offline iTunes

• Nickel Member
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2008, 12:19:24 PM »
I tend to agree with the OP being honest, I made a descision a while back to stick with a 109 no matter what, unless it's a mission and base taking then it's a jug or pony etc. I tend to try and stick to around 15-16k as that's where I find guys looking for a good ol' fight, Sure it's nice to win, but win or lose, all I'm after is a good old fashoined fight to the end and to have some fun doing it.
It's when you get below 10k that you'll come accross the lgays, 16's etc, I expect to get ganged, picked, hoed and all the rest, but what can you do? stay high and hardly see a soul? or dive down to the cauldron below, you might get one, maybe two but then you should be expecting to get shot down fairly quickly by some of the uber rides.
I like that idea someone had for the alternative to Titanic Tuesday, the SEA set up for just some fun fights, Wish the AvA was busier, betcha that would be real fun too. :)
The Class Acts.
JG54 Grunherz
iTunes- UK's finest killer of ack huggers and runners, mixing business with girls and thrills.
JG54/ Manchester United- Nobody likes us-we don't care... Goes by the name of Wayne rooney http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW-47c_8J4c

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2008, 12:37:27 PM »
Forgive my ignorance having only participated in this great sim for only a year and a half, but am I missing something?  I seem to find good fun in a variety of different activities, every time I login.  I dive with reckless abandon into the furballs, I attack and defend in GV's, I help take bases and defend the Knights bases when attacked, etc. (this list could go on for a bit).  Every once in a while I get into one of the magical 1 v 1 fights that reignites my AH flame.  The list of possible endeavours, planes & vehicles to fly/drive in AH is so large (and growing), how could you possibly get bored?  Try something you have not done yet or done a lot.  I guarantee you will enjoy yourself!  :D
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Wyld45

• Copper Member
      • AH2 Rough Rider Bugler
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2008, 01:10:59 PM »
Forgive my ignorance having only participated in this great sim for only a year and a half, but am I missing something?  I seem to find good fun in a variety of different activities, every time I login.  I dive with reckless abandon into the furballs, I attack and defend in GV's, I help take bases and defend the Knights bases when attacked, etc. (this list could go on for a bit).  Every once in a while I get into one of the magical 1 v 1 fights that reignites my AH flame.  The list of possible endeavours, planes & vehicles to fly/drive in AH is so large (and growing), how could you possibly get bored?  Try something you have not done yet or done a lot.  I guarantee you will enjoy yourself!  :D

Waystin, you've got the right idea bub and it sounds like you
                         make your fun no matter what. I try to enjoy a little bit of
                         everything also.  :salute
RRWyld45  1138th "Rough Riders" Bomber Wing

Offline toonces3

• Nickel Member
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2008, 01:35:25 PM »
Too bad I already used my "hamster wheel" analogy in another thread. 
"And I got my  :rocklying problem fix but my voice is going to inplode your head" -Kennyhayes

"My thread is forum gold, it should be melted down, turned into minature f/a-18 fighter jets and handed out to everyone who participated." -Thrila

Offline ColSuave

• Copper Member
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2008, 01:38:53 PM »
i like the idea of bieng limited toceratin planes for each country. Im getting tired of every country having access to, and every plane bieng a spixteen, lala, or N1ki. Maybe it's just me but only fighting those gets old after awhile.
the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline Wyld45

• Copper Member
      • AH2 Rough Rider Bugler
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2008, 01:42:52 PM »
Too bad I already used my "hamster wheel" analogy in another thread. 

Could always use, "Wheels-on-the-bus-go..."

RRWyld45  1138th "Rough Riders" Bomber Wing

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2008, 02:07:14 PM »
i can rarely find a good fight in midwar

-NEARY out........ :(

I can see why.  The last time I ran into you, you came in with altitude in a Mossie, HO'd on merge and then promptly exited the area at a very high rate of speed after you blew the HO.  Flying like that, no wonder you couldn't find a worthy fight, you kept running from them.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song