Author Topic: logitech stick giving up on me, ch questions  (Read 1688 times)

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
logitech stick giving up on me, ch questions
« on: November 20, 2008, 02:53:26 PM »
Well the logitech 3d pro has one of the primary buttons going out so I plan on maybe going with a CH fighterstick. Main concern is the number of buttons. On the ch website it say 24 buttons, 3 traditional push buttons, one mode switch, 3 four direction hat switches, one 8 direction hat. Seem like a lot crammed in one space.

Can't seem to visualize and the picture not much help about the 3 traditional push buttons. Is this like the push buttons on the base of my logitech. Looks like there would be more of those, my old stick has 6. What about that hat switch on the side, looks like it would be hard to operate with the thumb.

Also notice it does not have a hand rest on the stick itself. Kinda think I might miss that.

Probaly not going with the trottle for now but already have the rudder pedal ( 2 weeks)

Thought someone had posted a picture once with the buttons and how thy had them set up but can't find it now.

Just kinda of nervous about spending that kind of money and not being able to actually have a feel for it. So if anyone can share their exprence thanks in advance.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 03:37:18 PM by flatiron1 »

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
Re: logitech stick giving up on me
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 03:09:50 PM »
here is a ch products forum I found

http://www.ch-hangar.com/forum/index.php

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
Re: logitech stick giving up on me, ch questions
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 07:38:40 PM »
Here's a blank template for the CH Fighterstick that shows you all of the different buttons. For instance, I have the pinky button set for "Look up", the main trigger for "Fire all guns", the right-side trigger button for "Fire Secondary Only" and the upper-left trigger button for "Fire Primary Only".  Other buttons are for things like move head left/right/up/down, setting various auto-pilot modes, transmit tuned/range vox, etc.

The "24 Buttons" that CH refers to is the total of each contact.
24 buttons: 3 traditional push buttons (that's 3), one mode switch (that's 1), 3 four direction hat switches (that's 3x4=12), one 8 direction hat (that's 8). Count the blank squares in the picture and you get 24 of 'em.

My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 08:01:40 PM »
There are a lot of buttons. I use the throttle too, and that adds another bunch. Its seems over whelming, but its not. On the road I use a Saitek stick with like 15 buttons and I really miss all those other buttons. With my CH set up, I can follow any plane in any view, adjust throttle, flaps, trim, fire any or all weapons, and chat on vox with my hands never leaving the controls. The quality of the CH stuff is great and well worth the money.

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 09:13:41 PM »
Thanks for the info.

so what is located on the base? throttle, and the two trim wheels. Anything else?

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 10:47:32 PM »
Just three LEDs to indicate "Mode" - but I don't pay attention to them as I don't use their software to program different things to different modes.  Heck, I can't even think of enough things to map to all my buttons (I have throttle too) the way it is.  The two trim wheels should be set in the middle and never touched again.
My Current Rig:

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 11:14:13 PM »
well looks like I will have 5 extra buttons with the ch

Offline bmwgs

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 01:03:14 AM »
Just three LEDs to indicate "Mode" - but I don't pay attention to them as I don't use their software to program different things to different modes.  Heck, I can't even think of enough things to map to all my buttons (I have throttle too) the way it is.  The two trim wheels should be set in the middle and never touched again.

I wish I had another 10 buttons on mine.   :)

Fred
One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine, is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine... - From a Soviet Junior Lt's Notebook

Offline DustyR

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 06:48:51 AM »
I use the combat stick, pro throttle and petals.  I use a profile I down loaded from the CH forums, do I use it all no.  I still find myself reverting back and just using what is required for the particular fight I'm in. :noid :salute
Coal Country WV -- Home of the free ** because of the brave.

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 07:24:42 AM »
well I fixed my bad button for now anyhow. Just got real close and blowed real hard around it and now seems to work fine. Must of been some dust buildup. Dang it.

The CH will be my next stick, might just go ahead and get it anyway.

One question I have. Has anyone had two sticks set up at one time to have more buttons to use. I have a logitech attack 3 also which I coluld add and gain 6 buttons.

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 03:56:01 PM »
just do it. You will get used to the layout and the multitude of buttons. I got a a full CH set up and all the buttons are assigned and i still want more... Takes a while to get used to having everything on the stick and throttle but once you got the hang of it, you'll never want anything else.
What you can do (and what i do) is set up one button to be a "mode-switch" which is set up like: in mode 1 it switches to mode 2, in mode 2 it switches to mode 1. So you have a mode toggle button (there's no reason why it couldnt cycle between all four AH stick modes if you want). Mode 1 for me is flying/combat mode, mode 2 is taxiing, take off and landing mode. One stick set has one mapping, the other stick set has another mapping. This way you can extend the number of buttons. Of course you could also use the CH manager to program this sort of thing as well if you want.
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2008, 03:49:45 PM »
well broke down and got the CH fighterstick, arrived today. A few things I have noticed right off the top is the difference is spring tension.The logitech has a lot and the ch seems to have hardly any. I am thinking once I get used to that it will make my flying a lot smoother. I find the logitech seems more comfortable as far as doing the thumb button reach. I don't have  giant hands but maybe a little bigger than average,(LOL). The logitech has a lot better handrest, might have to do some modifying with that.

This might seem crazy but I have been using a combo of my old logitech attack3 and the newer logitech 3d. This gave me a lot more buttons to play with. I think I will do the same with the ch and the 3d. In particular the throttle wheel on the ch does not seem to have the feel of the logitech plus I kinda like a few buttons on the base.

Still not ready for the ch throttle yet.

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2008, 06:22:20 PM »
Since I have the CH throttle, I don't mess with the throttle wheel on the stick - doesn't even work right anyway on my stick.

As far as the reach of your thumb button, etc...
I've been told this stick is a reproduction of an F-16 sidestick, which is designed to be beside the pilot down near his right thigh as he sits in the seat.  Since most people (including me) have the joystick sitting on the desk sort of in front of them, the reach is sometimes tough for some buttons.  You either get used to it or re-think your layout.

You will get used to the "looser" feel and should quickly notice your manouvers are smoother and take less effort to perform.
My Current Rig:

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2008, 01:25:19 AM »
question about the thumbwheel bottom center of the base, the one with the indent in the middle. Can't seem to get it set to anything but the way it came which controls aeirlons. I thought it would be good to do trim with and the other one for elevator trim. What do any of you use them  for.

Offline Phil

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2008, 02:34:52 AM »
XMAS is here Flat !
GET THE THROTTLE !
SOOOooo many more buttons to use ! You will be playing the game and the keyboard will be used only to type !

Wheels on the base ? I don't even touch !!!!
The time you're gonna spend thinking about what buttion will do what(on your stick), it will ALL CHANGE when you get the throttle !  :rofl

and for your birthday, get the CH pedals !

Got all CH products. And made a good decision !
My neighbour Black70 purchased other brands. Not too long after, the items went kaput ! He's got the pedals and now will be seeking for the CH stick !

Good luck !

Phil / OPP7755