Author Topic: just wondering.....  (Read 1577 times)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
just wondering.....
« on: November 21, 2008, 01:03:42 PM »
if all of those of you that insist on pushing a ceritain persons buttons are thinking very far ahead?

we all come here for our own reasons. some for a laugh(lowzx14 made me think of this just now), some to learn, some just to chat on the bbs, about the game, and about things in the world. regardless of why we're here, we're all guests. period.

the problem here, is that there were some new rules made. in hindsight, we brought these rules on ourselves, because we couldn't hold conversations on certain subjects like grown adults.
 some are posting topics, and when they get locked, they wonder why. some post, knowing they will get locked, and laugh.

well.......it almost seems as if the fuse is almost burned out. we're probably gonna lose these boards, if you guys keep it up. is that what you really want? i know i don't. i learn in here, as i'm sure many of you do. they serve for good humor(sometimes) while on lunchbreak(like right now). there's some good ideas shared in here too.

what it comes down to, is before you post something you KNOW is gonna piss off a mod, put yourself in his shoes, and decide what YOU'd think about it. and don't forget(for those that just think he's bein an arse) it's most likely not his descision on what to lock, and who to suspend. this stuff probably comes from higher up.
 i;m not innocent of stirring on occasion, but i do know when to back off too, and i think we may need to.

not trying to soudn self rightious or anything, but i enjoy these boards, and don't want to see em go away.

<<S>>
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
Re: just wondering.....
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 01:14:34 PM »
I seriously doubt that they'd kill their forums just to spite a few people they could easily ban, or by adding an ignore feature. This isn't life or death, it's a gaming forum. Anyone getting too butthurt over it, or cancelling their accounts because someone made fun of them, wasn't going to stick around very long anyway. They should focus more on updates and so forth, so that people are more inclined to actually play the game than talk about it, which seems to be the situation at present.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 01:21:39 PM »
Except for one problem hubs.

When the new player comes to this pig-piling stye, you think they are all hot to trot to jump in?

This attitude about the player having to be able to take abuse or it is their fault is nothing more than people not being able to accept responsibility for thier own actions.

This game is supposed to be about having fun.

And you are right, we will not shut down the forums, but there are days I wish it was closed so I could get more work done, on other things, as opposed to having to babysit it.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 01:22:00 PM »
I seriously doubt that they'd kill their forums just to spite a few people they could easily ban, or by adding an ignore feature. This isn't life or death, it's a gaming forum. Anyone getting too butthurt over it, or cancelling their accounts because someone made fun of them, wasn't going to stick around very long anyway. They should focus more on updates and so forth, so that people are more inclined to actually play the game than talk about it, which seems to be the situation at present.

i understand that, it just seems that there's been a need lately for them to keep an eye on this place, which i think would take away from their being able to work on more important things.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 01:37:01 PM »
When the new player comes to this pig-piling stye, you think they are all hot to trot to jump in?

I see that a lot of them are. And I'm not saying that we should be able to attack any and all new players at will, but those who go to lengths to seek attention, should be prepared when they get it. Did any of you folks log in to the MAs around the election? This isn't Disneyland anymore.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline lowZX14

• Silver Member
      • Home of the 325th Checkertails VFG
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 01:43:58 PM »
I see your point CAP and Skuzzy.  We are a little quick to dog pile on people and poke fun at them or take it to an extreme.  

The post I made earlier was meant to draw some laughter.  I wasn't trying to belittle or berate or keep poking the fire, it was just meant to make people lighten up a little and laugh.  The object/subject of my post could just have easily posted some goofy picture up there and said something about me, and you know what I would have done?  I would have laughed as long as they said it was all in fun.  If something is posted in a malicious manner I can see the reason for getting rid of it, but when the OP says that it's a joke and we have to worry about people getting upset over something as stupid as a little picture, then the mood is just so somber that nobody is having any fun.  I normally have fun reading the bbs and even some of the spirited debates.  As I said on my former squad's forums a little while back, as long as you have 2 or more people expressing their opinions, especially of one another, you will always have arguments and fights.

Now I do understand that some of the behavior would turn off would be players and that we should be promoting the game and community in a good light.  However, I have seen very few people that have posted that they joined the game because of what they read about it on the forums.  I'm willing to bet that most players join from either advertisement or word of mouth.  I can see where it would cause someone who just joined to not want to play anymore.  

Actually what is put on the bbs wouldn't make me quit, it would make me quit reading the bbs.  However, if someone said something in game, then I would be more inclined to either ignore them or find somewhere else to spend my money.  But, once again, I'm just here as a guest as this is not my site, and will try to abide by all of the rules from now on.  I appreciate the work you guys do, and the chance to have a place where the community can come together and communicate.
lowZX14
325th Checkertails VFG
www.325thcheckertailsvfg.com

Offline DerHund

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 01:44:19 PM »
Gotta spit shine the game and BBS for the big Holiday marketing push starting next week       :noid
Energy and persistence conquer all things.  -  Benjamin Franklin

Offline ColSuave

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 01:46:14 PM »
I see that a lot of them are. And I'm not saying that we should be able to attack any and all new players at will, but those who go to lengths to seek attention, should be prepared when they get it. Did any of you folks log in to the MAs around the election? This isn't Disneyland anymore.
true true
the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline RumbleB

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 01:50:28 PM »

Yea and participating in the forums is entirely optional. People who cancel their accounts over the slightest dispute seem to be highly instable individuals anyways. What pulling the trigger on your stick has to do with someone disliking you on the forums is beyond me.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 01:50:33 PM »
I see your point CAP and Skuzzy.  We are a little quick to dog pile on people and poke fun at them or take it to an extreme.  

The post I made earlier was meant to draw some laughter.  I wasn't trying to belittle or berate or keep poking the fire, it was just meant to make people lighten up a little and laugh.  The object/subject of my post could just have easily posted some goofy picture up there and said something about me, and you know what I would have done?  I would have laughed as long as they said it was all in fun.  If something is posted in a malicious manner I can see the reason for getting rid of it, but when the OP says that it's a joke and we have to worry about people getting upset over something as stupid as a little picture, then the mood is just so somber that nobody is having any fun.  I normally have fun reading the bbs and even some of the spirited debates.  As I said on my former squad's forums a little while back, as long as you have 2 or more people expressing their opinions, especially of one another, you will always have arguments and fights.

Now I do understand that some of the behavior would turn off would be players and that we should be promoting the game and community in a good light.  However, I have seen very few people that have posted that they joined the game because of what they read about it on the forums.  I'm willing to bet that most players join from either advertisement or word of mouth.  I can see where it would cause someone who just joined to not want to play anymore.  

Actually what is put on the bbs wouldn't make me quit, it would make me quit reading the bbs.  However, if someone said something in game, then I would be more inclined to either ignore them or find somewhere else to spend my money.  But, once again, I'm just here as a guest as this is not my site, and will try to abide by all of the rules from now on.  I appreciate the work you guys do, and the chance to have a place where the community can come together and communicate.

hey low.....wasn't taking a shot at your post. i thought it was funny, and the things i said there while eating were meant in jest.
 i only mentioned your post due to your reply to me....about comming here for a good laugh.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 01:52:00 PM »
Yea and participating in the forums is entirely optional. People who cancel their accounts over the slightest dispute seem to be highly instable individuals anyways. What pulling the trigger on your stick has to do with someone disliking you on the forums is beyond me.

ya...but for some reason, some people connect the two...........

like i said...i generally enjoy reading here. i;m also glad skuzzy mentioned they won't close it down.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Helm

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2008, 02:47:58 PM »
I vote: close the boards.

They are a waste of time.  Nobody ever bothers to understand or try's to comprehend what you post here.  I'd say 85% of the threads I have started,  some "General Blowhard" logs in and works incredibly hard trying to "NOT" understand even the basic concept I am stating,  much less the fine points of what I am saying.  I say shut it down!

Helm ...out
XO of ^"^Nazgul^"^
Proudly serving since campaign #13
"No Rain?" ...."No Rainbow, baby!" ....Bootsey Collins 2009

Offline RumbleB

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2008, 03:51:12 PM »
I vote: close the boards.

They are a waste of time.  Nobody ever bothers to understand or try's to comprehend what you post here.  I'd say 85% of the threads I have started,  some "General Blowhard" logs in and works incredibly hard trying to "NOT" understand even the basic concept I am stating,  much less the fine points of what I am saying.  I say shut it down!

Helm ...out

Yea, shut the boards down because your threads haven't turned out well...
Don't think you realize that squads have private forums on here... If the forums don't suit you then stop posting here instead of making ludicrous requests.

Offline palef

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2008, 04:00:00 PM »
Yea and participating in the forums is entirely optional. People who cancel their accounts over the slightest dispute seem to be highly instable individuals anyways.

That's unpossible!
Retired

Offline JAGED

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2008, 04:12:09 PM »
That's unpossible!

Not a word...   :D
"I post facts.   If I post anything thats not a fact, I ask if people know whether it is fact or drivel first..."    SkyRock (ROFL LMFAO)