Author Topic: How I Use Score  (Read 748 times)

Offline Patches1

• Nickel Member
How I Use Score
« on: November 21, 2008, 01:27:29 PM »
What is Score?

Score is simply a unit of measure.

What does Score measure?

For me, score measures my ability to read a map, to determine how I can best aid my fellow countrymen at the time I am logged onto Aces High and how I can best utilize my chosen weapon, the F4U Corsair, and it's capabilities, and limitations, in all of its varients, to best support whatever the needs my Countrymen have that I can personnaly fullfill in my very small individual role.

"We're surrounded. That simplifies the problem."- Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, General, USMC

Offline ColSuave

• Copper Member
Re: How I Use Score
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 01:56:23 PM »
Score says nothing. stats are what matter, if they matter at all, but most people are playing to have fun. At least I am
the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 02:53:21 PM »
At this point in time my use of the of the score card is for two things. I watch my hit% and from this tour I have been trying better my sortie/kill ratio.   As can be seen I'm not going so well at it, due mainly to the fact I look for the biggest dar bar and up. As for my hit% well brrrrr. ah well I'll get there.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 03:30:11 PM »
i go on the score pages to look at my hit %, and sometimes to see my total kills. other than that, not much.
 rank doesn't matter to me, as i could do like some others, and "game the game" to make me feel better 'bout myself.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 03:34:25 PM »
I use scores to decorate my otherwise plain charmin bathroom tissue.  :D
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline Grind

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 04:57:19 PM »
I believe a persons score is a fairly close barometer of a persons skill level.  I don't think its definitive.  There are too many variables to make it so.  Lets say a guy makes top fighter in the LW arena.  Does that mean he really is a better fighter pilot than the guy who ended up in the number two spot?   I think a playoff between lets say the top 20 fighter pilots in the DA would answer that question.  You would probably end up with two number ones though.  One for the MA and one a dueler.

I like to keep an eye on my hit % and sometimes if I don't know who it was I was fighting I will look up that persons score.

:salute

A8Grind

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 05:45:02 PM »
I believe a persons score is a fairly close barometer of a persons skill level.  I don't think its definitive.  There are too many variables to make it so.  Lets say a guy makes top fighter in the LW arena.  Does that mean he really is a better fighter pilot than the guy who ended up in the number two spot?   I think a playoff between lets say the top 20 fighter pilots in the DA would answer that question.  You would probably end up with two number ones though.  One for the MA and one a dueler.

I like to keep an eye on my hit % and sometimes if I don't know who it was I was fighting I will look up that persons score.

A8Grind

Grind--

The month I made a little run at score ranking I ended up somewhere in the low 20s, even though my combat skills were mediocre. Now that I'm going more for pure adrenaline, I'm well in the bottom half of the rankings. Have I lost that much skill? No, in fact I'm better than I was back then.

Now I understand where you're coming from, but I think you'll find that there are just TOO many variables in play for score to mean much of anything. You have to realize that rank is derived by combining your rank in every category you see on the score page, from fighter kills to bomber structure damage.

Now look at the relationship between skill and those score rankings. Start with basic "skill level" Whatever IS that? Is "Skill" being good at one on one? Or is it the ability to pick fights? Knowing when to bug out? Or, being able to hang in and get kills against overwhelming odds -- even if you die in the end? See, you'll get different stats depending on HOW you define skill...

Now look at the MANY variables that affect how your skill (again, whatever THAT is) shows up in the numbers. How many hours do you play? That affects total kills and points. Do you hate GVs? Automatically you're going to lose lots of ranking from that alone! Do you have the time and patience to up bombers for time consuming high alt strat runs? If not, your score drops. Are you willing to fly in a horde so the numbers increase your safety? Do you fly solo, or are you part of a squad that will give you cover and bail you out of trouble? Do you like to take territory, because if you do you'll have fewer kills per hour (on average). That means another category you'll drop lower in.

Now about the bizarre little quirks of the score system. Do you care enough to make a PT boat run that ends with a rocket attack on buildings? That's the only way to score points in one of those rank categories. Score chasers do that to get top rankings. Just about nobody else will, so they don't look as "good" even though that run has absolutely NOTHING to do with game ability.

Big picture: if all you care about is the furball then you'll have more deaths, and you won't have the base captures, ground target damage, bomber points, and PT runs it takes to get a good score. If you don't care about dying, your KPD will look worse than your "skills" could generate in other conditions.

Bottom line is this: Score rankings tell us how good you are at score rankings. It takes some skill to be at the top, but while there are definitely some great players with good rankings there are also guys who are middling at best - but play the score game very well.
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 05:56:46 PM »

Bottom line is this: Score rankings tell us how good you are at score rankings. It takes some skill to be at the top, but while there are definitely some great players with good rankings there are also guys who are middling at best - but play the score game very well.

I wholeheartedly agree.  I am a good example.  My overall ranking is far far better then it would be if the system actually measured skill.  I tend to rank better then I should simply because I participate in all aspects of the game to some degree.  Plus, I am a member of a squad that likes taking bases, so each tour usually gives me several opportunities to get base captures in C47s and M3s.  It is shocking how much a couple base captures in each of those can dramatically affect your overall ranking.

Personally, I only watch one stat.  Fighter Kills/Deaths...  Graphing my K/D over  all of my career tours (only about 8 months) in Spatulas stats program shows me that while my basic play style hasn't changed (mostly TnB), I am getting a little better over time.  I still have a long row to hoe to get on the level of a lot of the guys around here, but I am happy to be getting better and not stagnating.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 06:37:12 PM »

A8Grind

hi grind,

not to become argumentative or anything, but score does truel mean nothing.

i see lots of guys tha i KNOW are top notch pilots in here. but look at their scores, and they're generally pretty poor.

on the other hand, i'm on the lower side of average, and i also know i can "work" the scores to make me look much better than i am.

just my 2 cents.....
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 06:54:37 PM »
There are apsects of a players score that will "hint" at their ability, but it is far from accurate.

Some players appear to be "Good" and in all reality are only good at gaming their score.

Use score as a rough guidline, nothing more.

I spent close to a year ish top 20-30 ish (think my 'best" was 2nd or 3rd overall) and it taught me much about how little "score" has to do with pilot ability.

During that time I sought out players that were almost always in the top 10-20 and got many of them to duel me in the DA.

Needless to say I was very underwhelmed by what I found in a straight up 1 on 1.

Again, aspects of score will hint at a players ability, but untill you get them 1 on 1 you really never know.

"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 07:35:14 PM »
I think score can give you clues about how someone plays, but not how WELL they play.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2008, 12:10:34 AM »
  When I check score its to see how many hours Ive wasted.

~AoM~

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2008, 12:13:40 AM »
I believe a persons score is a fairly close barometer of a persons skill level. 

Really?

Amsoil ranked #1 in the Latewar arenas, as was announced on November 1 and I'll bet he couldn't kill time with a sledgehammer and a stopwatch.

Rank and score is nothing.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Yippee38

• Copper Member
      • http://www.cutthroats.com
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2008, 01:29:45 AM »
This game has scores and stats?  WTFGAS?

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2008, 02:48:49 AM »

A8Grind
Spot on! There is no better way to tell how good someoneis than by checking his score. I've been angst several times by pilots, thought about challenging them to the DA but decided against it after seeing the high rank they have. No use making a bigger fool of myself.
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++