Author Topic: Dial up vs DSL/Cable Question  (Read 1615 times)

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
Dial up vs DSL/Cable Question
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2001, 05:38:00 PM »
HBlair,
I guess Janneh lives in Finland (like me too) and between us and HTC is lots of water and some place called Europe  

Still my ping is usually about 170ms and never more than 190ms  

I was little surprised how fast connections we have from here if comparing to some players pings from States  

Offline dolomite

• Zinc Member
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2001, 06:03:00 PM »
Folks-

Compare apples to apples. If you have the same ISP, routers, etc., Cable is better than 56K or ISDN, that's just common sense. The point is what really matters more than the speed of your connect is the quality of the connect (as it relates to lag and lost packets). My opinion and experience say it is ISP-->Routing-->Bandwidth, in that order.

Offline Wardog

• Copper Member
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2001, 06:43:00 PM »
Found some info on WBs connect and why a lower baud rate was better. It depend on the host.

Due to the fast moving pace of the WarBirds flight environment, we are sending and requesting data more frequently than other Web programs that are able to wait before updating their information. WarBirds only requires a 19200 baud connection, but it needs to be a smooth one with few interruptions. Even with a 28800 baud modem with all the hardware compression, data compression, and buffer action enabled, unless you have a "perfect" connection, there will be a few errors and pauses due to the volume of traffic.

You can try to improve your connection by dropping the modem's connect speed to a lower setting. If dropping the speed isn't enough, you can try turning off hardware and software compression, or lowering your modem buffers.

There is even more detailed info, ive just got to find it.

Dog out.......