Author Topic: On Feb.16 I will be a real Fighter Pilot  (Read 2046 times)

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
On Feb.16 I will be a real Fighter Pilot
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2001, 01:39:00 PM »
Good Luck F4UDOA, and I hope you have a good time.

I did the Warbirds Adventures thing down in FL, and it was great. In fact, some of the pictures from my flight are used on their website!  

May I reccommend dramamine? The funny part is that I didn't start too feel queazy until we landed and THATS when I felt a little green, but never very bad or to the point of throwing up.

Its great and well worth the money.

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure

[This message has been edited by Vermillion (edited 01-24-2001).]

Offline BigGun

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2001, 03:18:00 PM »
the patches for behind the ear work Great for motion sickness. Your mouth will be dry though, Good Luck

BigGun aka BgMAW

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2001, 03:30:00 PM »
I'm the USAF pilot, Eagler is that other guy.  I don't know his background.  When the idents went from 4 to 6 letters in WB, I quit even trying to duel everyone for the callsign rights    I won a few in WB, but there's a whole bunch of "eagle" idents now in both games.  I kept "eagl" to let people know which one was the one from early WB.

More on topic, F4UDOA you're gonna love the flying!  I've heard time after time that guys who fly WB and AH (and maybe some other sims) tend to be able to grasp the basics a whole lot faster, so the fight setups can progress to more advanced tactics more quickly.  The ideas of energy (speed AND altitude) versus angles (where's yer nose pointed) apply, and you just have to be a little more careful not to pull too hard, get the nose pointed down too far too low, or get going too fast since it's real life and you can't replane if you auger.  Don't worry, the instructors will help you out with that since it's their butt too  

------------------
eagl <squealing Pigs> BYA
Oink Oink To War!!!
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Drex

• Nickel Member
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2001, 03:37:00 PM »
You are about to have a blast.  Me and scop dueled each other in T-34s at the WB con in Houston.  We had about 4 hours of sleep (compliance of the 12 hours bottle to throttle rule was out the window).  We woke up at 8am with overcast skies.  Feeling tired and hungover we were hoping that we wouldn't have to fight in IFR conditions, so we could be in better shape the next day. Don't call two F4 phantom Vietnam Vets and ask "Are we going to fly in this?"

Grabbing Egg mcmuffins(seeing a trend here) and coffee we made our way to one hell of a time.  Scop did try to headon me when I came down out of my hammerhead.  Scop even says it on the tape "I'm going to Ram Him!"  Then you hear a calm voice saying "I wouldn't mind it, if I didn't own the planes."

Just to make you nervous    We approached the field and decided to do another 6g loop(you will get addicted to pulling Gs). We pulled them, and while getting ready to circuit the field we noticed Scop's plane drifting out of formation.  We couldn't hail them on the radio, and they didn't look too concerned about getting back into form.  After catching up with his T34, the 2 vets started giving hand signals to each other.  After completing their message(impressive to watch)  Butter, tells me that they had lost electrical power during the 6g loop.  I look up and see Scop's head bouncing up and down franticly.  Then out the buttom the wheels slowly cranked down into a lock position.  

Have a blast...It brings back a lot of memories.

Drex    

Offline Drex

• Nickel Member
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2001, 03:49:00 PM »
A couple more things...

When you look through the gun site you will feel right at home.  After the first fight they let us do everything ourselves (Quote " toejam, these guys know their stuff")  You will appreciate what you have learned in AH. The geometry will feel very natural to you.

I did make one mistake during the fight.  Do not lead your shots!  It is amazing that we have programmed that into our heads, but to my dismay...Lasers do not drop like bullets  

Drex

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2001, 03:53:00 PM »

Originally posted by AKDejaVu:
Maybe confusing him with Eagl?  I know Eagl flies F-15's for the USAF.

AKDejaVu

Yep, that's eagl, I'm the other guy  

Did pull some kind of g's once in a cessna (by accident) and a couple in a glider (as a passenger of an aerobatic pilot). They do feel weird, sort of like an instant drunk. But it passed quickly  
good luck  with adventure
Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline F4UDOA

• Silver Member
      • http://mywebpages.comcast.net/markw4/index.html
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2001, 04:32:00 PM »
Sorry Eagler for getting you confused. Didn't forget who you were, just your occupation.

Thanks for the info Eagl. Do you ever wake up in the morning and think "Gee, I wish I could sell insurance today"? No, didn't think so.

Drex, I was hoping someone would say that. If the same rules apply in RL ACM as AH I should be OK. Hopefully I'll be up against someone with less experience than me. I'll remember the part about not leading the target.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2001, 05:11:00 PM »
F4UDOA,

I recommend the patch or the wrist band for motion sickness. Look in some flying magazines for the electric wrist band. It is disposable and is claimed to work as well as the patch. I recommend against the Dramamine due to the sleepy factor. The last thing you will want to be is sleepy and not really on the ball for this. You are spending WAY too much to be sleeping through it. In any case go for what is least side effect producing and have a ball.

Mav
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Midnight

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2001, 06:27:00 PM »
Hey F4...

I did this couple years ago in Norwood, MA. It was totally awesome! THE BEST time I have EVER had that didn't involve women.

Anyway, there is something you should ask, maybe in advance if you are not doing this in Fullerton, CA (Their home base)....

The travel planes I flew did not have smoke working, the "audible" gunfire sounds, nor the so-called laser aiming and attack. None the less, it was realy fun but it took away (just a smidge) when the pilot had to cal lthe hit or not...

I did the 2 flight package that was supposed to get me a set of wings... I still haven't received them, even after writing a letter to them asking where it was.

I highly suggest doing this to EVERYONE who like to fly in a combat sim. My wife said the smile on my face almost touched on the back of my neck   LOVED IT!!!!

------------------
"Wing up, Get kills, Be happy"

Midnight
13th TAS

slammer120

« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2001, 06:36:00 PM »
GO GETEM TIGER! Go light on breakfast, coffee with lotsa sugar. One thing probably unknown to you, high Gs are very very tiring to people not acclimated to them. Half of a 'nana at most. Both of those are going to refuel you pretty quick. Make sure you give us all a holler the day after and let us know if you are sore. I dont know how much they let you yank those things around. I had a great time in aces high with you last night!

Offline Andy Bush

• Copper Member
      • http://www.simhq.com  (Contributing Editor - Air Combat Corner)
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2001, 09:13:00 PM »
Back when I was a 'real fighter pilot', breakfast consisted of a cup of coffee, a cigarette, and a good puke. Aspirin was optional.

Andy

Offline Duckwing6

• Copper Member
      • http://www.pink.at
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2001, 03:21:00 PM »
LOL Andy Sounds like a line from "The Right Stuff"  

F4U from personal experience i can tell you you don't want ANYTHING THAT HAS EVEN CLOSE RESEMBLANCE WITH MILK (!!!!!) in your breakfast   -> produces an extremely repulsive odor in a hot cockpit when reverse eaten ..

No get some light eating, nothing that will disturb your stomace (coffee does that to me for example..)

Keep your eyes INTO the turn, don't bob your head around real fast while pushing negative. Oh and try not to concentrate on cockpitframes etc.. if you start feeling sick call it a day .. it won't go away (at least for a while)

DW6

HAVE FUN (man do i envy you !)

Offline CJ

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/typhoonc77
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2001, 04:30:00 PM »
Sounds like it's going to be a blast!  My tips learned from acro flying are as follows.

1) a little plain oatmeal (quaker oats with hot water) to absorb the acid in your stomach.  Should reduce nausia.

2) Get plenty of sleep.

3) Try not to piss your pants with excitement!  It's going to be a scream!  

CJ

Vertigo

« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2001, 06:32:00 PM »
I've done this 3 times so far, not with AirCombat USA, but with a local outfit called SkyFighters.  They use the T34A Mentor, so the pilot is in the back.

I've gotten motion sickness other places, so I'm not immune to it, but I never got it any of the times I flew.  I think it may be like driving - if you're flying, you don't get sick, but if someone else is, you might.  Anyway, they gave me two of those little wristband things which have plastic buttons on them.  They put pressure on a particular point on your wrist.  I don't know if they worked or not, but I never even got queasy, much less sick.

I'd say skip the Dramamine, and eat what you're hungry for.  If you're hungry at all.  

BTW, they won't be stunned if you do puke.  They're prepared for it - they have barf bags in the cockpit.  

One thing they advised me was - drink lots of water so you're properly hydrated.  I didn't know this, but they told me your ability to withstand G's can be cut in half if you're dehydrated.

It is without a doubt the most fun thing you can do clothed.  If you've been flying long, you'll be very surprised how "at home" you feel once the combat starts.  It looks just like you thought it would look, and everything works about the same.  In fact, the planes are easier to control than the ones here - I never touched the trim once I set it where the pilot told me, and only touched the pedals a couple of times.  I asked him about the rudder, and he said basically, use it or don't, whatever you want, it's really only useful in landing.  Or something to that effect.

The G's are one thing that will be surprising.  We pulled a peak of 4.5 g's my last flight, and if I hadn't known better, I'd have thought it was closer to 7.  Even 3 g's feels like a ton, especially if it's sustained.  I never felt like I was in danger of passing out, nor did I get tunnel vision, but one of my opponents told me he "went to sleep" for a few seconds at the bottom of a hard yo-yo.

As for stalls, in the T34A, you get a very noticeable shaking in the stick - and as I recall, the entire airplane - when you are at the edge of the flight envelope.  The first time I heard it, I thought uh oh, I've broken something.  It was explained to me that the plane was designed to do that when you got close to the edge, and it was basically just a warning that you were about to put more AOA on the plane than was efficient.

I stalled out twice, once during a fight (which caused me to lose that fight by going below the hard deck), and again trying to follow the other plane through an Immelman.  In both cases, once I got off the controls, the plane went nose down and started flying again.  The stall at the top of the Immelman was the best, because I knew that it was going to happen.  As we hung there, weightless, not flying anymore, and the plane began a mild tumble back to the nose-down position, the pilot in the back said on the radio "Oh baby, ya gotta love this!".  And he was right.  

------------------
Vertigo (-vert-)
CO, The Haze

LJK_Reschke

« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2001, 07:34:00 PM »

Originally posted by Jimdandy:
For anyone interested. The Collings Foundation has a B-17 and a B-24 they tour the country with. You can ride in them for about $300 (That's what it cost 3yrs ago). At the time when I did it they would let you fly it for 15min for $500. I heard that they wont let people fly it any more. I'm not sure about that. It's not as exciting as dog fights but it was fun.

No Jim they will not let you fly it any longer.  You get a half hour for $300 bucks though and it is worth it to hear those big engines run up.  I had a blast here in Alabama last summer when they brought it in.