Author Topic: 109g2 vs 38g not quite duel, but equalish 1 v1  (Read 695 times)

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
109g2 vs 38g not quite duel, but equalish 1 v1
« on: November 29, 2008, 08:35:26 PM »
In the AvA with B4Buster and Larry (allies).

I rolled 109g2 w/50% (1.0 fuel burn) and gondies.  They were P-38g - but it was all 1 v1's.

here are some films.

http://www.speedyshare.com/667580969.html  Vs. buster.

http://www.speedyshare.com/130861635.html  Vs. buster, then later larry.
(this is the one you wanted, buster.)

http://www.speedyshare.com/115442651.html  Vs. Larry.  I included this one becausein general my hit % is middle of the road, but now and then i pull off some really nice (to me) shots for a kill.

a 109g2 w/gondies is a decent platform (why did they take away the 109f's gondies?!?! whyyy?!?!?  mutter, mutter). 

you can see it can still be held up at slowish speeds. if you're easy and work with it, it'll do you right.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 09:20:27 PM by Shane »
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
Re: 109g2 vs 38g not quite duel, but equalish 1 v1
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 10:00:55 PM »
Interesting films.

Question...  I've read quite a bit about the 109G2 and 109G6 lately.  I've been flying them some in the LW Arenas and the Midwar Arena.  My hope is to get used to them so I have a good choice plane to fly when ENY hits that 29 peak (since they are both ENY 30 in LW).  Anyway, most of the advice I have read says to leave the gondolas at home.  I see you took them.  Do you find the performance hit overshadowed by the much increased hitting power?  Or maybe you don't notice as much of a performance hit when carrying the gondolas as I have been lead to believe by my reading?

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 11:18:10 PM »
I don't have much luck fighting the early 109F or G2 in the old 38G.  I don't worry as much about the later birds in a turning fight, but I know if I wait too long I've had it against a decently flown F or G2
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Bosco123

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 07:34:34 AM »
There was a good film that was just posted of me in a G6 and Grizz in a P38J. Was a good fight.
Skifurd AKA "Bosco"
Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) Operator
United States Marine
"Stay ahead of the game, Stay ahead of the plane."

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 10:39:58 AM »
Some general 109 advice...

If you find yourself in a wings level climb and want to roll in on the lower fighter, always roll left if you have the choice. Torque can add a couple of seconds to a right-hand roll at low speed. Use torque to assist the roll by going left; much quicker and stable. Pay close attention to the flaps as they auto-retract quickly once your nose goes below the horizon. This means careful throttle management. When nose high, flaps full out, don't attempt to roll right with the engine powered up... It'll just hang there and rudder will not assist the roll. Either pull off throttle or, better yet, simply go left instead.

My regards,

Widewing

My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 06:06:14 PM »
Interesting films.

Question...  I've read quite a bit about the 109G2 and 109G6 lately.  I've been flying them some in the LW Arenas and the Midwar Arena.  My hope is to get used to them so I have a good choice plane to fly when ENY hits that 29 peak (since they are both ENY 30 in LW).  Anyway, most of the advice I have read says to leave the gondolas at home.  I see you took them.  Do you find the performance hit overshadowed by the much increased hitting power?  Or maybe you don't notice as much of a performance hit when carrying the gondolas as I have been lead to believe by my reading?

of course the 109's take a performance hit whe toting the gondies, i don't really know how much top-end it loses, but for sure you have to be even more gentle and anticipate when carrying them.  it obviously still handles pretty well.  i just prefer the extra firepower that would hopefully help me avoid having to go into extended turning.

in the MA, i can see w/gondies being a viable ride as long as you pick and choose.  it's not gonna be a great furballer when it gets too slow in a multi-con environment.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Yenny

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 06:14:10 PM »
Some general 109 advice...

If you find yourself in a wings level climb and want to roll in on the lower fighter, always roll left if you have the choice. Torque can add a couple of seconds to a right-hand roll at low speed. Use torque to assist the roll by going left; much quicker and stable. Pay close attention to the flaps as they auto-retract quickly once your nose goes below the horizon. This means careful throttle management. When nose high, flaps full out, don't attempt to roll right with the engine powered up... It'll just hang there and rudder will not assist the roll. Either pull off throttle or, better yet, simply go left instead.

My regards,

Widewing

Yargh roll right u gotta chop throttle, roll it then go wep again.

E .· ` ' / ·. F
Your tears fuel me.
Noobing since tour 96
Ze LuftVhiners Alliance - 'Don't Focke Wulf Us!'

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 11:39:31 AM »
Interesting films.

It depends on your stile.  If you are going to be playing for the snapshot opportunity then take the gondies.  If you miss, you will wish you left them back
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.