Author Topic: CVs vs Kamikaze  (Read 367 times)

Offline Westy MOL

• Silver Member
CVs vs Kamikaze
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2001, 11:23:00 AM »
Oh most of the time they cannot. Just as in real life a CV was dead meat if all they had to rely on was aa and maneuvering.  But about 6 players flying combat air patrol around the fleet ops area can help prevent it from happening.

My main point is that if players do not want to cap thier CV then they shouldn't use exmaples of what it was really like in WWII to support a change in gameplay for by not providing a CAP they themselves not doing the what was really done back then.

Westy

Offline Weave

• Copper Member
CVs vs Kamikaze
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2001, 01:01:00 PM »
Irregardless if the carrier was capped or not, the real point I was trying to make is that a single Kamikaze wouldn't normaly take one out. So my suggestion was that the damage model was off a bit.

Kinda like the M-3 we have that is impervious to 20mm cannons, or the panzer which loses it's track from a single 50 cal. hit.

:eek:

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
CVs vs Kamikaze
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2001, 01:01:00 PM »
You do understand tho don't you Westy? that a single Japanese Kamikazee that hit a CV never sank one in ww2?
With the possible exception of bombs landing amongst ordnance or hitting the magazine, 2 bombs never sank a CV in WW2.
2 torps never sank a CV either.  It took many more than that in RL.

Gameplay concessions have to be made.  I can't recall meeting anyone willing to hover over the fleet at 20k their whole time in the MA...

SKurj

SKurj

Offline Westy MOL

• Silver Member
CVs vs Kamikaze
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2001, 03:20:00 PM »
I can agree it should be upped. It should take more. But not so much more as to compensate for the lack of a "CAP".

Now the truth is that it did not always require massive amount of ordinance to sink a CV.  The Hiryu was sunk by only four bombs at Midway. The USS Princeton was sunk by just one Japanese plane with just one 500lb bomb.

And as regards kamikazes; the carrier "St Lo" was sunk by one single Zeke, the "Shawnee" by two off of the Phiilipines even though the first woudl have done it. The carrier "Ommaney Bay" was so wrecked from the damage started by one kamikaze that it was finished off and sunk by our own destroyers. The Bismark Sea was sunk only two kamikazes.

Here's a good site with a running tally of all the ships sunk and damaged by kamikazes. There are more sites with stories having greater detail for some of the specific losses.
  http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/3758/kamikaze.htm

Westy

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
CVs vs Kamikaze
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2001, 03:51:00 PM »
*technical information foul on player Westy*

15 yards, and you go to bed without your cookies  :p

CVL's or "Jeep" Carriers don't count  ;)

Offline Westy MOL

• Silver Member
CVs vs Kamikaze
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2001, 03:57:00 PM »
We have 'virtual carriers" which are even lighter.

:p

Offline rogwar

• Silver Member
CVs vs Kamikaze
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2001, 07:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by Weave:

Kinda like the M-3 we have that is impervious to 20mm cannons, or the panzer which loses it's track from a single 50 cal. hit.

:eek:

I've been hearing this alot about the M3 but I never seem to experience such when I am driving in one....LOL.

Offline Weave

• Copper Member
CVs vs Kamikaze
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2001, 08:43:00 PM »
Neither have I rogwar, but I've lit the hell out em with a, (ahem) Japanese plane with four cannons, and they continue to drive merrily along.
  :p

Oh my gosh! I've hijacked my own thread.  :rolleyes:

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
CVs vs Kamikaze
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2001, 10:34:00 PM »
Excellent kamikaze reference, Westy.  The game has to make lots of compensations and compromises, of course, but I can't get used to horizontal bombers being so accurate against ships.  Dive bombers yes, torpedo bombers sometimes, but horizontal bombers?  Not often.

I'm also embarrassed by a horizontal bomber flying in a straight line right toward my cv dual 5-inchers and I'm not able to cream the bomber no matter how much or how less I lead it.  This after doing very well in offline practice.  What am I doing wrong?
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline Zigrat

• Nickel Member
CVs vs Kamikaze
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2001, 12:30:00 AM »
the problems  arent kamikaze effectiveness vs cvs, they are as effective as they should be

like westy said, you need cap. if you had a few guys flying cap it helps ALOT

ok the other problem tho is the level bombers. they are wayyy too accurate vs a moving target

Offline LtHans

• Nickel Member
CVs vs Kamikaze
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2001, 04:08:00 AM »
You mean those same level bomber that are way too accurate against land targets too?

Those bombers?

Hans.

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
CVs vs Kamikaze
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2001, 11:38:00 AM »
IMO the fact that one plane can Kamikaze Kill a CV almost makes the CV useless.

Seems like something fun to do, but steals greatly from overall game play.

Offline discod

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.millionaire.com
CVs vs Kamikaze
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2001, 01:50:00 PM »
I would just like to take credit for inventing the kamakazie dive bomb attack on a cv with an F4U carring 2K of bombs.   :D

You see, back in the day when CV's were first invented there was a large dispute about how many pounds of bombs it took to kill a CV...so I volunteered my HOG for a test mission.

The mission was based on some top secret information that I got from a former officer of the USS Hornet.  So I went down to California and toured the Hornet to verify the information.

As it turns out, there is a ventiallation shaft at the base of the control tower on a CV.  Yes, it is a little known fact but as my test results proved, if you drop 2K right on the deck of the CV right near the tower, it will be just enough to trigger a chain reaction through the ventilation shaft resulting in a self destruct.

Further reasearch proved that it is the exact same type of ventillation shaft used on the Death Star!   :D