Author Topic: Fix the Collisions.........  (Read 5057 times)

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
Re: Fix the Collisions.........
« Reply #75 on: December 04, 2008, 01:04:01 PM »
dads  have you ever flown right alongside a squaddie literally 0 from his wing and asked him how far away you are?

You need to film both parties flying at each other.  Do it several times and watch back BOTH sides,  You are bound to come across one where your film collides and the other guy misses.

I understand that there is a difference in planes locations and views, I have never said that I do not understand that. 

To answer your question, yes I have, and yes there is a difference in the location and spacing between the two films which was also shown in the film posted in this string, this is very evident in two aircraft moving relatively in the same direction.  The real question is what happens if you take the same two planes and make the same film except make the planes head nose on level flight, then what happens?

Since the sensitivity is in the "nose" of the aircraft, what happens when they are heading nose to nose?   One of these planes will most likely consistently be the one that is determined to "collide" due to this lag, the other will not.  Right?
If this is true and can be answered as a yes, then it would be safe to say that someone would be able to take advantage of this lag and just conduct head on nose to nose attacks knowing that they will not receive the Collide message or any damage due to collisions regardless if they can consistently accomplish this it still gives them an edge. 

This is what this is all about, not about avoiding anything, not about talking around anything, not about a plane ramming another in the rear, but a nose to nose approach knowing that one will in fact be lagging more or less than the other and the result of that merge. 

If someone has figured out that they lag ahead or behind enough to not get the collision then they could in fact use it for an advantage, will this advantage be significant, who knows.  If his lag or lack of is greater than most he could consistently repeat this and win on these merges than he receives damage from them.

This would be in fact gaming the game.   

Thanks so little for your understanding, but I think I already know the answer I am looking for. 

This is way over some of your heads.  At least a few understand what the issue is. 
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 01:10:21 PM by Dadsguns »

"Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate."

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
« Reply #76 on: December 04, 2008, 02:01:29 PM »
Since the sensitivity is in the "nose" of the aircraft, what happens when they are heading nose to nose?   One of these planes will most likely consistently be the one that is determined to "collide" due to this lag, the other will not.  Right?

No.

In the current collision model the only thing that matters is your FE.  If you run into him on your screen you will get a collision message.

Your real problem is flying HO into people.  I and others would be happy to show you some easy avoidance moves. 
Callsign: Bongaroo
Formerly: 420ace

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #77 on: December 04, 2008, 02:11:01 PM »
No.

In the current collision model the only thing that matters is your FE.  If you run into him on your screen you will get a collision message.

Your real problem is flying HO into people.  I and others would be happy to show you some easy avoidance moves. 

This is way over your head too..... blew right past ya.  :rolleyes:

Can someone that can read and actually comprehend a paragraph answer or respond instead of the sniveling BBS bubbas.  :lol
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 02:17:47 PM by Dadsguns »

"Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate."

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #78 on: December 04, 2008, 02:42:37 PM »
You don't seem to understand something.
The computer does not 'determine who collided'. The server doesn't look at the incident and decide who was at fault and then give damage accordingly.
If, on your computer ('FE') you touch another plane, you collide and take damage, period. If you don't you don't. If someone touches you with their plane on your screen but they don't touch on theirs, you will get damage and they won't, because they never touched your plane on their screen, and punishing someone who successfully avoided a collision would be unfair.

One of these planes will most likely consistently be the one that is determined to "collide" due to this lag, the other will not.  Right?
No.

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
« Reply #79 on: December 04, 2008, 03:46:29 PM »
This is way over your head too..... blew right past ya.  :rolleyes:

Can someone that can read and actually comprehend a paragraph answer or respond instead of the sniveling BBS bubbas.  :lol

The issue has been explained fully.  I think you just need something to blame your failures on.

But thanks for the "sniveling BBS bubbas" moniker.  Your cooking with the weak-sauce.
Callsign: Bongaroo
Formerly: 420ace

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #80 on: December 04, 2008, 03:57:43 PM »

Wrong ... you don't seem to understand, that there are 2 (two) decisions being made ... My computer (FE) running AHII and your computer (FE) running AHII.

If I fly directly at you and jink at the last moment ... avoiding a collision with your airplane ... my FE says ... NO COLLISION !!! ... and I fly away unscathed.

If you fly directly at me and don't jink at the last moment ... NOT avoiding a collision with my airplane ... your FE says ... COLLISION !!! ... you are assessed the appropriate damage ... your damage is relayed to the server ... server sends updates to my FE and I see you falling to the ground in many pieces ... I then get the proxy "kill" message.

Collision "sensitivty", if I interpreted your meaning correctly, is not just in "the nose" ... the whole plane is taken into consideration when determining a collision.

This is way over some of your heads.  At least a few understand what the issue is.  

This statement is so ironic it's not even funny.

If your tired of getting rammed all the time, then you really need to take a look at your flying techniques and flying abilities.

I have been playing for since '02 and I can count on both hands and a couple of toes, the amount of collisions that I have been involved in ... and every single one of them was MY FAULT.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #81 on: December 04, 2008, 04:11:55 PM »

If I fly directly at you and jink at the last moment ... avoiding a collision with your airplane ... my FE says ... NO COLLISION !!! ... and I fly away unscathed.

If you fly directly at me and don't jink at the last moment ... NOT avoiding a collision with my airplane ... your FE says ... COLLISION !!! ... you are assessed the appropriate damage ... your damage is relayed to the server ... server sends updates to my FE and I see you falling to the ground in many pieces ... I then get the proxy "kill" message.

This statement is so ironic it's not even funny. You actually have stated the obvious, you can game the merge and its what I wanted to confirm all along.

If your tired of getting rammed all the time, then you really need to take a look at your flying techniques and flying abilities.  again, this isnt me ramming all the time, as stated waaayyy below, I was rammed by someone who I think was gaming the merge by doing what you described.  Intentionaly and matter of factley this player came directly at me every turn, Twice with the same plane, the system DID NOT say I collided, it said HE collided both times, yet I died.  Isnt that odd? 

This is exactley what I suspected, that the player would "Jink" at the last moment or "Jink" before or after me to not be penalized the collision. 

And yes, the system said HE collided TWICE and landed the plane, with two kills. 

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #82 on: December 04, 2008, 04:22:29 PM »
Dadsguns, you are fighting an uphill battle because you refuse to accept the way the collision model actually works.

Slapshot explained it well.

There is no "penalty" involved.  You either intersected another object, as determined by your computer, or you didn't.  If the other guy manages to jink and avoid collision, then he did a good job of flying.  If you did not jink and avoid the collision, then your plane is going to intersect with his.  Your plane takes the damage.

That is not the other pilots problem, nor his fault.  The onus in any collision rests directly in your hands.  No one else.  The other guy cannot intersect your plane.  Only your plane can intersect with others.  I realize the previous two statements are subtle, but if you understand the model, then they will make perfect sense.  Until you get a firm grasp of that, you will not effectively be able to make any suggestions to improve the collision model.

Many people have tried to explain it to you, and all you have done is put most of them down, when they are, in fact, correct.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 04:38:01 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #83 on: December 04, 2008, 04:35:25 PM »
 Guppy need to check the other guys FE when he lands,seems to be plenty of collisions happening. :D

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #84 on: December 04, 2008, 04:41:07 PM »
Guppy need to check the other guys FE when he lands,seems to be plenty of collisions happening. :D
Thats because the ground cheats. :P :noid
See Rule #4

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #85 on: December 04, 2008, 04:45:49 PM »
This was not meant to be a war of words, which some of this has become. Different jargon, terminologies etc. I do not know. My apologies in this confusion.

But the underlying fact is I do understand the concept of what and how this works.

When I said "penalty" , that referred to the not "Jinking" in time or not at all which would give the collision message while intersecting.

Until 80+ posts later of responses that failed to answer the concept of my question of merges it boils down to whoever can  "Jink" will avoid the collision yet still have not addressed the difference in the FE and how that plays a role in a nose to nose collision with NO "Jink".  

I have asked several questions that either have been avoided, or simply received a smart answer.  I never started out any of my questions or statements in a negative tone. Yet that's all I got in return.  

Thanks.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #86 on: December 04, 2008, 04:48:35 PM »
DG I dont mean to repeat myself, but the answer is right there for you.  If you got a 'shot down' message, it means you received damage from an enemy. That means from either a collision or enemy fire. IOW he landed bullets on you. Not hard to do from literaly point blank.

If you got a X collided with you message, but no white You have collided message, you can disregard it.. You're not affected.

The collision issue doesnt seem to be one unless you got the rare bug I described. All you have to do is dodge his plane on your screen, regardless of what happens on his. What you see is what you get.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #87 on: December 04, 2008, 04:51:21 PM »
What you see is what you get.
*Snicker
See Rule #4

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #88 on: December 04, 2008, 04:59:38 PM »
Your questions imply you do or did not understand how it works.  They cannot be answered as they assume things that are not there or have no bearing on the collision modeling.

They are basically, based on incorrect information.

Moot said it well also.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 05:02:57 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Spyder

• Zinc Member
« Reply #89 on: December 04, 2008, 05:06:10 PM »
Wow there is alot of arguing, but I am on DGs side. I have been playing for about 2 years, and I have been to all 3 countrys, and I have noticed, when i was bish, I would lose the collisions, ALOT. Finaly when i switched to rook, it seemed that it stoped happening... Let me guess DG, you are a bish right? and this fellow you "ran into" (pun intended) a nit? or a rook? (i think the nits have supereor collision models) This would explain every thing.

Now as much as this makes sence  :lol I highly doubt that skuzzy is out to get the bish. I think it has something to do with the number of players on each country.

Bish: always have the most

Rooks: usualy behind by 20

nits: behind by as far as 50

BUT im still on DGs side.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 05:08:42 PM by Spyder »