Author Topic: Perks-II  (Read 131 times)

Offline B52Charlie

• Zinc Member
Perks-II
« on: June 05, 2001, 01:19:00 AM »
How about instead of this being Quakeair make it so that the greater the # of deaths you have the fewer the aircraft available and vehicles,but you can still purchase perk aircraft with accumulated kill points. That way there would be a half decent reason not to die 978 times in a row. Lets face it 50% of the crying is due to HO's where there no real incentive not to or the respawner geeks in base captures. The other 50% of the crying is due to the souped up guns on B's and GV's and this tiered perk system will solve 70% of both.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Perks-II
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2001, 01:59:00 AM »
If you don't want to HO (a much used attack form in WWII, BTW), then avoid the HO.

The problem with making the death penalty to high is this:

If dying means I can't fly my favorite aircraft anymore, I'll simply fly so conservatively that I will only engage when I am sure of victory.  There is no "mission" that I have been assigned by my legal commanding officer, there is no penalty for me not doing a mission, or sof not inflicting harm on the enemy.

Read my thread in the Aces High General Discussion forum titled Action #1: Operation Carthage".  If the death penalty in a game is too high, nobody will do missions like that (low level raid into the teeth of enemy flak) because there is no reason to do so.

The real RAF aircrew mentioned in the thread I liked to were trying to win a war, something that they had to do for many reasons.  The penalty they paid was the highest penalty of all, and yet the cause was great enough to make the risk that in order to try to bring victory closer.

In a game there is no way to make the cause that important.  Its only a game after all, I'm not going to scarifice my ability to play for your sense of realism, I'm not going to render my $30.00 less useful that your $30.00.

Your rules would also cause fast aircraft to utterly dominate the arena.  Things like the Ki61, Il-2, Bf109F-4, Spitfire MkVb might as well not be in the game because their odds of making it home in an arena of La-7s, P-51s, Typoons and Fw190D-9s would be near 0%.  And since you get penalized for being shot down, you'll rarely see an aircraft that cant do the "runstang" thing.

For what its worth, under your rules I would not fly conservatively because it is boring to me.  Instead I would cancel my account because the game would no longer be enjoyable to me.

Oh yeah, I'm one of the guys that tries to live.  I enjoy landing my aircraft after a mission.  But I like to be able to take risks, knowing that what I am risking is that squeal of tires on tarmac, not my ability to enjoy the game in the future.

------------------
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

Bring the Mosquito FB.MkVI Series 2 to Aces High!!!

Sisu
-Karnak
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Nexus

Perks-II
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2001, 11:00:00 AM »
WWIIOnline is employing a similar kind of system.

Basically the better pilots, those that get the most kills and RTB, get to choose the better planes.

Those that are not so good have a limited plane set to choose from.

So once you are on top, it's easy to stay on top.

Be interesting how this plays out.

Nexus

Offline hazed-

• Gold Member
      • http://combatarena.users.btopenworld.com
Perks-II
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2001, 12:02:00 PM »
I dont know about you guys but i find career modes in games a brilliant addition.European air war has a great carrer mode with promotions etc you start out as a lowly wingman and eventually you decide what planes/loadout etc.
Online games like ultima online have this sort of thing where you build your character up and i find the idea compelling.
It would be a bit hard to implement in AH though as most of our 'avatars' would be dead after a few flights  .
It would be cool to have to survive to get promotions in order to use the top models of aircraft but this could be done in a SEA rather than an MA.We could just link 4-5 weeks of snapshots and those that survive get promoted and receive better planes.This would add that great long running feeling we got from Afrika and hostile shores scenarios.
Daddog would be the man to talk to about it i guess.he may like the idea of handing out the promotions and medals who knows? if we call him prime minister or fuhrer heheh

------------------
Hazed
9./JG54

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Perks-II
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2001, 01:55:00 PM »
I agree with you hazed-, unfortunately the stand alone games and MMRPGs have gobs of AI victims that don't matter a whit.  In an online game like AH, all of the potential victims to be eliminated are other paying players.  If I can't fly after I get killed on day three of the tour I'm not getting very much for my money.

I play stand alone sims in such a fashion that if I die, I start a new campaign.  BUT, stand alone games are much easier and when I kill an enemy I haven't screwed another player's month because the enemy was just an AI.

------------------
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

Bring the Mosquito FB.MkVI Series 2 to Aces High!!!

Sisu
-Karnak
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Perks-II
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2001, 02:20:00 PM »
not a good marketing tool I'm afraid. Wouldn't fly in MA but maybe when a second or third arena goes online...

Eagler

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Greg 'wmutt' Cook

Perks-II
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2001, 04:55:00 PM »
Well, I give my take on it again:
Why not give perk points for things other than kills.  I think would go a long way to keeping people happy.  Let perkpoints accumulate over time online, give rewardsfor joining missions, ect...  We might even let everyone start each tour with 100 perks or so.  That would make me happy.  That an something to spend my vehicle points on...

Wmutt

Offline B52Charlie

• Zinc Member
Perks-II
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2001, 08:44:00 AM »
It's not just HO's they can be avoided 85% of the time (except at highspeed ie compression factor or lowspeed ie not enough E to avoid) it just the mentality that grows as you play this game longer. If there was a good reason not to die this game would have alot more appeal for 29.95 a month. As far as other arenas go , there are already 2 others that hardly ever have 20 peeps in them at any givin time. There should be a vote on this of the customers and I'll bet 80% would opt for a better system to reward NOT  dying every 2 mins.